Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ownership transfer question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I’ve recently purchased an imported US Model 3 here in Jordan and the car has the previous owner account and I can’t do a factory reset as it requires the email and password of the previous owner.
Will logging in to my Tesla account and going to the ownership transfer section and providing the necessary documents (car’s and driver’s license) resolve this issue and how will the current logged account be removed remotely?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 9C1276A8-E20D-4EDC-88B6-4412F21E7096.jpeg
    9C1276A8-E20D-4EDC-88B6-4412F21E7096.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 96
I am in the USA, what they asked of me was a copy of the government issued paperwork showing the car now belonged to me, and maybe driver's license. Been almost 3 years so I don't remember exactly.
The documents showing I bought it were not enough, had to wait for the government to process that and issue documents showing I was the owner.

Not sure how different countries handle car ownership.

I also bought mine from a third party. The previous owner should log on to their Tesla account and say that they sold it to a third party. There is a button specifically for this. You also should create your own Tesla account and claim ownership of the vehicle, there is also a button specifically for this.

It took Tesla a few days to transfer the ownership, but hopefully it's faster now.

I also bought mine from a third party. The previous owner should log on to their Tesla account and say that they sold it to a third party. There is a button specifically for this. You also should create your own Tesla account and claim ownership of the vehicle, there is also a button specifically for this.

It took Tesla a few days to transfer the ownership, but hopefully it's faster now.
Thanks for the reply! What if the previous owner didn’t remove the car from his account and I’ve claimed the ownership of the vehicle through my account? Would there be any implications or would Tesla ask the previous owner for his permission?

Thanks for the reply! What if the previous owner didn’t remove the car from his account and I’ve claimed the ownership of the vehicle through my account? Would there be any implications or would Tesla ask the previous owner for his permission?

If you purchased this car from the actual owner, it shouldnt be a problem for them to remove it from their account. If they for some reason can not remove it, as long as you can prove that the title legally passed to you, you should be ok. If you cant prove that, then you likely will have massive issues.

If you purchased this car from the actual owner, it shouldnt be a problem for them to remove it from their account. If they for some reason can not remove it, as long as you can prove that the title legally passed to you, you should be ok. If you cant prove that, then you likely will have massive issues.
I have the car’s title registered to my name but I can’t reach the previous owner. Does Tesla asks the previous owner to remove the car from his account upon claiming my ownership through my account?

I have the car’s title registered to my name but I can’t reach the previous owner. Does Tesla asks the previous owner to remove the car from his account upon claiming my ownership through my account?

I dont know, thats a question for tesla, not this forum. You need to reach out to them and find what you have to do to claim the vehicle. I would think you should just follow whatever workflow they have on teslas website for transfer of ownership. If they no longer legally own it, tesla should be able to help you transfer it after verifying that fact.

Will logging in to my Tesla account and going to the ownership transfer section and providing the necessary documents (car’s and driver’s license) resolve this issue...

Yes. Once Tesla got a car into your own account, you have complete control over it.

In the meantime, as you don't see that car in your own account, the previous owner still has complete control over it.

My issue was similar. I purchased the car from a nice old man, but not technically savvy, and he did not change ownership like he should have. But no worries, once you have all of the registration and whatnot, you can reach out to support and have them do the transfer of ownership. Takes a few days as I recall but doesn't impede your use of the car. May want to hold off supercharging though until it's fully in your name.

Reactions: Z38ER