Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ownership Transfer Time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just recently purchased a 2015 70D from the original owner and I got my registration and submitted photos of my drivers license and the registration through my Tesla.com account to transfer the ownership and get app access. I've read some terrible timelines over the last year plus, but I was wondering if anyone has done it through the new Tesla account method and how long it took for the transfer to complete. Tesla's site says "it may take up to 72 hours", but I don't know that I believe that.

If anyone has an experience with this thanks for sharing.

There's no min/max time you can expect to wait. This has to be a very busy time of year for Tesla folks. These changing your car to put it under your account have to be the same people doing the new cars being delivered. Accessing their car through the app is part of the delivery, so I suspect they will get priority. Submit and wait. Reports from others on TMC and TM say it does not help to follow up with more emails or trying to call. That just takes them away from processing requests.

I would also make sure my driver's license image and insurance card image is uploaded under your account, in case they check to see if its already there.

If the original owner does not have another Tesla, you might talk them into giving you access to their current Tesla account letting you take it over. They need to remove their CC, driver's license and insurance card so they are not at risk. They change the password and login again, then change the email address and login again. Checking to insure they can get in and out. Then later when Tesla processes your request, you can switch back over to your own. Its been done before. Maybe the old owner will help, if they no longer have a Tesla.

Be aware, when the alias/nickname on the account is changed, the old TM forum posts will still be there but under the renamed name. No getting around that.

good luck

Unfortunately the previous owner has other Tesla products, so account swapping won't work. With the possibility of it taking a long time, I am worried about supercharging for a trip we have planned. The Tesla is our only vehicle and if I can't supercharge I can't travel.

Anyone have any experience with supercharging an unregistered vehicle?

Reactions: Akikiki
Are you sure its unregistered with Tesla? Ask the owner if its still showing in his account? He will know. If it isn't in there, it would have done no good for him to give you his Tesla account.

This is an interesting question. Is there a nearby Supercharger? Go there and try. You are willing to pay when they figure it out. But chances are if you have FUSC on the car, it will let you charge and will not post it anywhere.

Yes, it is unregistered. I watched the previous owner remove it from his account, not knowing that it might take a long time for it to be in my account.

Since it is a 2015, it should have transferrable FUSC. I plan to go try supercharging this weekend to see what happens.

Just to update anyone interested: I got my MS registered to my Tesla account today. So from my original submission on 12/16, it took just over a week to complete. Although, I believe that my original submission never went through since I received my Title and resubmitted through my Tesla account on Saturday, 12/21, and immediately received an email confirming my submission, which I never received on 12/16.

My recommendation: If you are waiting for a transfer and have received some new documentation that Tesla deems acceptable, submit again to see if it helps.

An update on how they're doing in Covid times.
Private sale, uploaded everything through the web account as soon as the registration docs came through. I got the 72h email straight away, and less than 24h later I got the confirmation email and could view her in the app.

currently hour 70, could have really used supercharging instead of sitting at that hotel for 3 hours....

Love the car, but Tesla support let me down on the phone yesterday. They can confirm they have my documents and they are in a cue to be approved, but can't approve the transfer or temporarily enable supercharging?