Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owning a M3S+ in Central Texas sucks...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I wrong? I do live in Waco so there is a nice Tesla Supercharger Station but other than that its slim pickens for many miles... I'm scared to drive it to DFW if I get stuck in traffic and Austin is a long haul as well. Is it a case of range anxiety or do I just have to get to know the other charging options like EvGO and buy a CHAdeM0 adapter? I wish there were more charging options in Hillsboro, Grandview, Temple, and Killeen.

We own a 2013 Model S P85+ (with 19" rims). At full charge it charges to 250 miles. A new M3SR+ charges to 263 miles per Tesla's website, but not sure what yours is at. Regardless, we life in DFW and my wife has driven to see her sister in Boerne (outside of San Antonio) several times. She supercharges in Waco and San Marcos and then just uses 110 when she is at her sister's. More recently she has used one of the SuperChargers in San Antonio and Alvaredo. I expect she will make use of Georgetown when it opens up too. Our car doesn't charge particularly fast, but I can't imagine yours is any worse.

Honestly, the most compelling jump is all the way up to the latest Model Ses with 400+ miles of range. That would legitimately eliminate a stop for us.

I live in Austin and have a 2013 Model S 60 which was rated at 208 EPA miles new. I have driven it to the east and west coasts several times, as well as Canada. Superchargers are your friends and the navigation system will take you to them when you need them.

Just remember that you only need to charge enough to get to your next charging stop (plus a few miles for insurance). There are several Superchargers in the DFW area these days, just plan to stop at one while you're there.

Enjoy.

People drive Teslas around the Texas triangle without any problems... you're not alone in worrying to begin with, but really you'll be fine. Try abetterrouteplanner.com to ease your mind if you like. Or in your car, tap one of those Dallas Superchargers and let it route you, showing you how much battery you'll arrive with. If you do get stuck in traffic, you'll be sitting there barely using any charge, right?

People drive Teslas around the Texas triangle without any problems... you're not alone in worrying to begin with, but really you'll be fine. Try abetterrouteplanner.com to ease your mind if you like. Or in your car, tap one of those Dallas Superchargers and let it route you, showing you how much battery you'll arrive with. If you do get stuck in traffic, you'll be sitting there barely using any charge, right?

Not sure, is that how it works? Does idling (in traffic) not use much battery? I have only had my Tesla a short time.

I'm trying to get to know the locations in the Dallas and Austin/Round Rock areas and recently discovered the one in Italy, TX and Alvaredo.
You don't need to "get to know" anything about the Supercharger locations. Just get in your car and plug in where you want to go. if you need to stop to charge the car will route you there...if you can't get there the car will let you know. If you run through your battery faster than planned it will warn you to stay below a certain speed to make it to your destination. if your destination comes and you have less than desirable range left then route to the nearest supercharger.

Reactions: brkaus
Not sure, is that how it works? Does idling (in traffic) not use much battery? I have only had my Tesla a short time.
Idling costs very little (unless super cold out and your running the heat high). It can actually help to be stuck in traffic as it brings road speed (and thus wind drag) down.

the biggest thing to know - if it looks like your not going to make your destination-slow down! These things have incredible range at 30-45mph. 55-65 is ok. 80mph is hard on range.

There is Italy on the way to Dallas and burlson/ Alvarado on the way to Ft Wort.

The car is actually really good at estimating range. The built in navigation will tell you what the arrival percentage will be for the intended destination. If you touch the map it will show three additional icons - one of which is the charging locations. From there you can select one of the Austin Superchargers and the car will tell you what your arrival charge will be.

The arrival percentage might fluctuate during your drive, depending on if you're driving faster or slower than the rated speed limit that it uses to determine consumption along the route. If it goes down very quickly you can back off your speed and it will come back up.

You can set the navigation to Austin before you even put it in Drive and see what the arrival percentage will be. Hopefully that'll help ease your range anxiety. The only way to find out is to do it ;)

With only a few exceptions, ALL Teslas should be able to make it between any two adjacent interstate Supercharger locations without any problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: cylonmode
The car is actually really good at estimating range. The built in navigation will tell you what the arrival percentage will be for the intended destination. If you touch the map it will show three additional icons - one of which is the charging locations. From there you can select one of the Austin Superchargers and the car will tell you what your arrival charge will be.

The arrival percentage might fluctuate during your drive, depending on if you're driving faster or slower than the rated speed limit that it uses to determine consumption along the route. If it goes down very quickly you can back off your speed and it will come back up.

You can set the navigation to Austin before you even put it in Drive and see what the arrival percentage will be. Hopefully that'll help ease your range anxiety. The only way to find out is to do it ;)

With only a few exceptions, ALL Teslas should be able to make it between any two adjacent interstate Supercharger locations without any problem.

Lol! Yea for sure... I have some Supercharger trips in my future to see how my SR+ handles it. Thanks!

Reactions: LoudMusic
You don't need to "get to know" anything about the Supercharger locations. Just get in your car and plug in where you want to go. if you need to stop to charge the car will route you there...if you can't get there the car will let you know. If you run through your battery faster than planned it will warn you to stay below a certain speed to make it to your destination. if your destination comes and you have less than desirable range left then route to the nearest supercharger.
There's a decent sized caveat to that recommendation though. The car's navigation can't yet do multi-point routing. So, if you're going to be driving round-trip without superchargers along the route or going to a third location off the direct route from A-to-B, the car can't reliably say whether you'll have sufficient charge to make it. Which is why people in this thread are suggesting the use of 3rd party EV trip planners (e.g. A Better Route Planner) that can tell you whether your full route is feasible or not. For a straight drive, a new owner relying on the car's navigation is as easy as you say. For anything beyond that, knowing whether you can make it or where along the way you'll need some charging does require you to "get to know" the car. Things like how efficiently it uses energy in various weathers and road conditions, what settings and driving styles/techniques will best limit energy use, etc. Learning all of that will come with time and experience. In the meantime, new owners should rely on the good tools available to supplement their planning. And experienced owners shouldn't blithely tell them to "just plug in where you want to go" without a little caution or more context.

There's a decent sized caveat to that recommendation though. The car's navigation can't yet do multi-point routing. So, if you're going to be driving round-trip without superchargers along the route or going to a third location off the direct route from A-to-B, the car can't reliably say whether you'll have sufficient charge to make it. Which is why people in this thread are suggesting the use of 3rd party EV trip planners (e.g. A Better Route Planner) that can tell you whether your full route is feasible or not. For a straight drive, a new owner relying on the car's navigation is as easy as you say. For anything beyond that, knowing whether you can make it or where along the way you'll need some charging does require you to "get to know" the car. Things like how efficiently it uses energy in various weathers and road conditions, what settings and driving styles/techniques will best limit energy use, etc. Learning all of that will come with time and experience. In the meantime, new owners should rely on the good tools available to supplement their planning. And experienced owners shouldn't blithely tell them to "just plug in where you want to go" without a little caution or more context.

The return trip estimate is there - but multipoint isn't.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
This is an amazing idea lol, most def going to do that!

You can probably make that round trip without even charging ;) BUT! Stopping for the charge will be a good educational experience. It's all so stupidly simple that I laughed out loud the first couple times I used a Supercharger.

After you make that trip, I recommend making a trip to a Supercharger that you can reach easily but NEED to charge at to return home. Such as the Austin Century Oaks location.

Yes, MY owner here and I've learned how to navigate using superchargers. As a few said above, you only need to have enough to go to the next supercharger. I also purchase an additional mobile charger kit just in case of emergency. So far had put 9K within 3 months of ownership, no more range anxiety for me.