Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owning a Tesla in London without a home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joining late to the thread but hoping to get some insights. My home electricity tariff at the moment is 29,6p/kWh. Some chargers like Ubitricity are at 24p/kWh in Putney. They are at 32p in Fulham. I have been charging at the 24p Ubitricity lamppost and it works like a dream. Is there any reason I should be charging at home (involves laying a cable cover across the footpath that isn’t exactly legal)?

Joining late to the thread but hoping to get some insights. My home electricity tariff at the moment is 29,6p/kWh. Some chargers like Ubitricity are at 24p/kWh in Putney. They are at 32p in Fulham. I have been charging at the 24p Ubitricity lamppost and it works like a dream. Is there any reason I should be charging at home (involves laying a cable cover across the footpath that isn’t exactly legal)?
well, at home you car charge at 7.5 p :/

Reactions: Adopado and WllXM
Yes, as just mentioned with IO you *could* be charging as low as 7.5p at home.

But agreed with previous comments on this thread, in London, Ubitricity is a godsend. Really convenient when they are installed in resident bays that are not so crowded, it was my case previously and never had an issue to charge, and you can leave your car overnight or more..
Most of them are still at 32p/kWh, it's not cheap vs. what it was before but given the current market rates it's still ok.
I would avoid Source London as they are much more expensive and charge by the minute... so only if you really need to
And there's also the free points in most larger Tesco's and Sainsbury's... (but for how long?...)

So overall charging in London is very much manageable, definitely more expensive than home charging, but currently, still lower than owning an ICE. With the business tariffs freeze announced today, we can hope that it will stay this way, at least in the short term...

Yes, as just mentioned with IO you *could* be charging as low as 7.5p at home.

But agreed with previous comments on this thread, in London, Ubitricity is a godsend. Really convenient when they are installed in resident bays that are not so crowded, it was my case previously and never had an issue to charge, and you can leave your car overnight or more..
Most of them are still at 32p/kWh, it's not cheap vs. what it was before but given the current market rates it's still ok.
I would avoid Source London as they are much more expensive and charge by the minute... so only if you really need to
And there's also the free points in most larger Tesco's and Sainsbury's... (but for how long?...)

So overall charging in London is very much manageable, definitely more expensive than home charging, but currently, still lower than owning an ICE. With the business tariffs freeze announced today, we can hope that it will stay this way, at least in the short term...
Unless I am wrong, IO charges 40p for the remaining 18 hours. On the whole that’s a poorer value proposition?

Isn’t that from the Intelligent Octopus connection but then you’re locked in to 40p/KWh for the rest of your home? My current single tariff at home is 29p and I use more electricity at home than for my Tesla.
Unless I am wrong, IO charges 40p for the remaining 18 hours. On the whole that’s a poorer value proposition?
Technically yes but no. That means you have a blended average rate at 31p for your home. (18h@39p + 6h*7.5p).
So not so far away from your current 29p.
And if you can manage to shift some of your home consumption to the off-peak hours (dishwashers, etc), you could be saving more...

I can achieve a 18p average rate currently..

I did over a year with no off street charging in London zone 3 and it was fine. Pretty much all my charging was Source London utilising the overnight cap to bring price per kWh down. Now I have moved but there are loads of lamppost chargers near me and more every week so it would likely be easier than before.