Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owning a Tesla in NZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm keen to hear what people are doing for charging in NZ. Given no super charger network are people buying the Chademo adapter, the EVnomics EV (J1772) adapter? Both? Or just getting by with the HPWC at home and the 10A moblie power adapter. It seems most charging locations are J1772/EV or Chademo right now?
I got the EVnomics J1772 adapter which I have used a few times. I also got the UMC adapter twin pack, but you need the adapter (red plug thing) from Tesla in order to use this twin pack. Can't say I've used it yet but it enables you to use the 32A and 16A industrial type sockets. Details on the EVnomics website.

I also got the CHAdeMO adapter. But it isn't working for me, as Steve knows, and comes up with a 'communication error'. I have had to send it back to Tesla in Sydney for repair. They said they can't find a fault with it yet. Fingers crossed it's not an issue with the car. I doubt it is as a different CHAdeMO adapter that Steve had worked perfectly. My advice would be to get them to test it on your car before you get the car delivered.

Another consideration is that despite the current type 1 (J1772) 'standard' that seems to be common in New Zealand the word is that type 2 (Mennekes) will become the standard in NZ. It's technically better (allowing 3 phase) and seems to be what is being rolled out in Europe and Asia. And after a little more digging it will probably be the case that chargers will be type 2 sockets (untethered, no cord) meaning you will need a type 2 to type 2 cord, i.e. plug one end into the charger socket and the other end into your Tesla.

Last edited:
I got the EVnomics J1772 adapter which I have used a few times. I also got the UMC adapter twin pack, but you need the adapter (red plug thing) from Tesla in order to use this twin pack. Can't say I've used it yet but it enables you to use the 32A and 16A industrial type sockets. Details on the EVnomics website.

I also got the CHAdeMO adapter. But it isn't working for me, as Steve knows, and comes up with a 'communication error'. I have had to send it back to Tesla in Sydney for repair. They said they can't find a fault with it yet. Fingers crossed it's not an issue with the car. I doubt it is as a different CHAdeMO adapter that Steve had worked perfectly. My advice would be to get them to test it on your car before you get the car delivered.

Another consideration is that despite the current type 1 (J1772) 'standard' that seems to be common in New Zealand the word is that type 2 (Mennekes) will become the standard in NZ. It's technically better (allowing 3 phase) and seems to be what is being rolled out in Europe and Asia. And after a little more digging it will probably be the case that chargers will be type 2 sockets (untethered, no cord) meaning you will need a type 2 to type 2 cord, i.e. plug one end into the charger socket and the other end into your Tesla.
I quite like the Type 2 socket (Hunter Wetlands just 2100km west of Auckland has a great 3 phase one). If everybody carries a cable that suits them (T2 to T2 for Tesla, T2 to T1 for Leaf) then everyone can use it. Also less risk of vandalism and less risk of being ICE'd if you have a long cable.

One question though ...
Is it true that J1772 does not allow three phase charging? If not Type 2 deserves to win everywhere!

Im coming to the North Island in October next year for my son's wedding (to a Kiwi resident in Aus). If any Kiwis are interested we could do a swap for a Kiwi coming to Aus doesnt have to be at same time. I have other cars I can use. I will be at Lake Taupo for the weddin' but would like to visit tourist sights around the NI. Havent been to NI before but did SI some years ago. A few things to sought out insurance roughly do same number of ks each end and same duration of swaps etc. My car is an 85D with the lot and Im in Melbourne.

Im coming to the North Island in October next year for my son's wedding (to a Kiwi resident in Aus). If any Kiwis are interested we could do a swap for a Kiwi coming to Aus doesnt have to be at same time. I have other cars I can use. I will be at Lake Taupo for the weddin' but would like to visit tourist sights around the NI. Havent been to NI before but did SI some years ago. A few things to sought out insurance roughly do same number of ks each end and same duration of swaps etc. My car is an 85D with the lot and Im in Melbourne.
Could also swap houses. I can offer my country house 100ks from Melbourne. Our Melb house is not suitable runs from solar power and there are 5 large dogs in residence,

I've just been sent a waiver but Tesla around firmware updates - i.e. they aren't supported in NZ and if they don't complete etc its at my cost/risk etc.

Keen to hear if others have had to sign this and if anyone has updated and had an issue. Noting I get my car this week which is almost certainly going to have 7.1.x and upgrade to 8.0 within the week... but the update will happen in NZ.

I've just been sent a waiver but Tesla around firmware updates - i.e. they aren't supported in NZ and if they don't complete etc its at my cost/risk etc.

Keen to hear if others have had to sign this and if anyone has updated and had an issue. Noting I get my car this week which is almost certainly going to have 7.1.x and upgrade to 8.0 within the week... but the update will happen in NZ.
-------------------------------------

I've sent you a PM.

Not sure if anyone noticed but Telsa Motors registered a company in NZ Aug 1. So hopefully an opening date early next year. Registered under TESLA NEW ZEALAND ULC (6018628). Also article on Stuff (news website) today about charging standards. Basically Tesla owners need to get a Chardemo adapter it seems for the short term.

Hi all,

Just a public service announcement for anyone in New Zealand thinking of getting a Tesla, and curious about insurance.

My current provider AA Insurance don't currently insure Tesla, as "they have no way of guaranteeing their ability to repair the carbon fibre body to a good standard"

State NZ do and have quoted $1,523.73 for a Model S 75 (as at August 2017)