Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owning a Tesla in The Netherlands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
first of all, sorry if I post in English, but my Dutch is very, very bad.

I received a job offer for company 125km away from where I live (public transportis not possible, doubles the travel time), and this might be the perfect excuse for finally owning a Tesla, but for sure an electric auto.
I'm looking around for some possible options and I have some questions to ask to the dutch owners, since most of the information and my knowledge around is coming from US.

- What is an expected "real" range for both the "old" and 2021 model 3 SR+ if your driving is mosty 100km/h highway? can I do 250km (home>work>home) without having to stop with the 80% recommended battery charge?
- How much is the deviation from summer and winter for the "old" model? shall I expect differences between the non-heatpump model and the new one? will I cover the 250m travel distance?
- would you recommend buying a used modelS instead of a model3 RS+? what is the minimum battery pack I have to consider for the same trip?
- Is it feaseable to have a tesla without home charging? We all know that here in NL is not the same as US, I live in a building with private parking but the owning company doesn't even reply to requests for charging spots... so I will have to charge on street charging, luckly there are plenty around but there are also a good amount of electric cars...
Work will probably have charging spots but I don't know it they will be available, when, etc. so I prefer to consider not having them for my considerations.
- what are the real expenses of owning a Tesla in NL? Everywere it's written by the "bijtelling" for company cars but not much about the ownership, what are the yearly taxes?
- what is the average premium price for a casko? every website requires a license plate to do the calculation.

Thank you

If you really want to be able to do that 250km I'd say go with a LR Model 3 and not the SR+, especially if you're looking at an older model without heat pump. During Summer 250km is doable but during Winter it'll be quite hard to even get 200km. It does ofcourse depend on the way you drive. My car also isn't stock anymore so it's a bit difficult to compare. But still, if I had to do 250km every day, I would've saved up a little more money to go with a LR. Will be a lot less stressful. 😅

Personally I'd always pick a new Model 3 above a used a Model S. Model 3 is much more suitable for our roads. And you'd probably have the same issues with not being able to make that 250km easily.

While it's possible to drive a Tesla daily without home charging, I do believe that home charging is one of the main things that make an EV so great. Having to charge at a public charge station or Supercharger every day will become tedious after some time and will also cost more money. If you can charge at your workplace, that'd be a good option though.

You looking to buy or lease a Tesla? If you buy one there are pretty much no expenses other than insurance and charging costs. And a little bit of maintenance (interior filter/wiper fluid). As for leasing, I honestly don't know. Never had any experience with that, also not with the "bijtelling" that you mention. So someone else will have to answer that for you. 😉

As for calculating the insurance, you can just enter a random license plate of another Model 3 with the same specs that you want. That's what I did as well before actually receiving the info on on my license plate. That way you can still compare.

Most european secondary roads are quite narrow. On the highways there is no problem, but the centers of cities and towns are narrow.
Oh I forgot that the S is super wide.
But for other than parking, I haven't heard any friends that owned one complain about it though.
Trucks are even more wide and they drive around in cities all the time.

Could you elaborate on this?
Most european secondary roads are quite narrow. On the highways there is no problem, but the centers of cities and towns are narrow.
Oh I forgot that the S is super wide.
But for other than parking, I haven't heard any friends that owned one complain about it though.
Trucks are even more wide and they drive around in cities all the time.
You can of course drive a model S here, but often it will be a bit more difficult. For instance: for me personally the model 3 was a better fit for the garage adjacent to my house (and yes, it was the width) and the small village lane where that house is located.

If you really want to be able to do that 250km I'd say go with a LR Model 3 and not the SR+, especially if you're looking at an older model without heat pump. During Summer 250km is doable but during Winter it'll be quite hard to even get 200km. It does ofcourse depend on the way you drive. My car also isn't stock anymore so it's a bit difficult to compare. But still, if I had to do 250km every day, I would've saved up a little more money to go with a LR. Will be a lot less stressful. 😅

Personally I'd always pick a new Model 3 above a used a Model S. Model 3 is much more suitable for our roads. And you'd probably have the same issues with not being able to make that 250km easily.

While it's possible to drive a Tesla daily without home charging, I do believe that home charging is one of the main things that make an EV so great. Having to charge at a public charge station or Supercharger every day will become tedious after some time and will also cost more money. If you can charge at your workplace, that'd be a good option though.

You looking to buy or lease a Tesla? If you buy one there are pretty much no expenses other than insurance and charging costs. And a little bit of maintenance (interior filter/wiper fluid). As for leasing, I honestly don't know. Never had any experience with that, also not with the "bijtelling" that you mention. So someone else will have to answer that for you. 😉

As for calculating the insurance, you can just enter a random license plate of another Model 3 with the same specs that you want. That's what I did as well before actually receiving the info on on my license plate. That way you can still compare.
Thanks for the reply!
To be honest I’m still looking around, I was thinking to go with the new model since the new SR+ has the heat-pump and different batteries which mean I can fully charge to 100% and don’t suffer from degradation.
Indeed charging at work is essential here, this will guarantee me to don’t really care, also a quick stop at the SuC would be possible (all highway, 3 SuC plus various other brands at gas stations provably) if it’s only needed in winter.
Out of curiosity, at what temperature the range gets messed? Is the standard “never ending november” Rainy dutch winter already a problem or are we talking freezing temperatures?

1) Range: As a rule of thumb and from my own experience, you need to take 20 - 30% off of the WLTP range to have a reasonable estimate of your available range. This compensates for variables such as driving style, driving conditions, battery degradation, battery drain, sentry mode, use of AC etc.
2) Range: See above
3) Model S: No, why buy old tech unless you have significant savings that offset any (costly) maintenance (e.g. battery replacement). In addition, see #1 for range estimate.
4) Charging: Yes, it’s feasible. I also rely on public charging, however, my daily drive is significantly less than 250km. So refer to #1 and consider if you can/want to deal with the possibility of daily range/charge anxiety.
5) Expenses: Don’t know, I lease my car and only have to deal with “bijtelling”
6) Premium: refer to #5

In closing, I’d be sure to check if you have super chargers on route or close by home/office to offset #1,#2,#4.

Reactions: Epyx
Thank you all,
I will then stop looking at used Model S, I was thinking it as a second option to save around 10k€ and just use it until it’s done (probably pushed by the lates videos od Bjorn 😅)
I just found out that ABRP has a beta version for the LFP SR+, i start playing with it.
Basically with 0 wind speed (so yes, impossible here 😅) the trigger point from 0 charges to 1 charge stop is 19 degrees, this is with a 90% departure SoC and 10% arrival.
This means that yes, 30% of the WLTP range is about right, and charging at work is basically necessary during the whole season both because of temperature or wind. I will definitely make sure that’s an option (there are 3 SuC + another 50kW charger near work in case few times I can’t charge), otherwise I will just save for a LR
By looking in ABRP I see there is the option to add or remove the heat pump from the LFP model3, is the 2021 version delivered with heat pump here in NL?

Today I will go around the block trying to find some models and see the insurance premium.
Thank you all for your help!

Thank you all,
I will then stop looking at used Model S, I was thinking it as a second option to save around 10k€ and just use it until it’s done (probably pushed by the lates videos od Bjorn 😅)
I just found out that ABRP has a beta version for the LFP SR+, i start playing with it.
Basically with 0 wind speed (so yes, impossible here 😅) the trigger point from 0 charges to 1 charge stop is 19 degrees, this is with a 90% departure SoC and 10% arrival.
This means that yes, 30% of the WLTP range is about right, and charging at work is basically necessary during the whole season both because of temperature or wind. I will definitely make sure that’s an option (there are 3 SuC + another 50kW charger near work in case few times I can’t charge), otherwise I will just save for a LR
By looking in ABRP I see there is the option to add or remove the heat pump from the LFP model3, is the 2021 version delivered with heat pump here in NL?

Today I will go around the block trying to find some models and see the insurance premium.
Thank you all for your help!
I would suggest to have a test-drive in both. They are just different cars. An Audi A4 is different than an a7, but because an a7 is larger does not mean it would not suit your needs. I drive a 2015 model s and still am very satisfied with the car, but that also has to do with having kids, being tall, large cargo space etc, an I personally prefer the looks of the model s.

Hou can also have a look at private leasing: ANWB private lease Model 3
Yes I had a look around but the main issue is the KM per year, ANWB it's up to 30.000km, by going to the office 3 days a week (expected after-corona rules 2 days at home) it's already 36.000km/year, then you pay extra per kilometer.
MisterGreen offer up to 40.000km, but with that milage prices are VERY high, that's why I was asking for taxes and insurance because it seems cheaper to just own the car and lease the payment.
Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm happy to hear why! Thanks!

I would suggest to have a test-drive in both. They are just different cars. An Audi A4 is different than an a7, but because an a7 is larger does not mean it would not suit your needs. I drive a 2015 model s and still am very satisfied with the car, but that also has to do with having kids, being tall, large cargo space etc, an I personally prefer the looks of the model s.
I already rented the 3, I guess I will do the same with the S next time I need one.
I have no problem with big cars (I had station wagons all my life in my country) and yes parking in NL is a bit more difficult but I drove a van with no cameras for moving houses so I don't think a car with cameras and sensors all around is a big deal. No kids, possible trips if we can get out of this stay@home situation... so basically it's up to charging, range, price.
I'm a big fan of the model 3 and I love it, the model S would be more of a way to save some money and avoid the quality control issues in models coming from US. That's why also the interest to the new SR+
thanks for your input!

As you said it is what you are used to. I had a F350 double cab, long bed as company car in Baku Azerbaijan. Sometimes could not take a turn on a crossing as Lada's were parked on both sides and in the corners.
I have a MX and looked at MS's I never considerate a M3. I don't like the interior and the exterior . You probably can find a used MS 90D or even 100D for the same price as a M3 LR . For me that would not be a difficult choice.

Reactions: watt
Yes I had a look around but the main issue is the KM per year, ANWB it's up to 30.000km, by going to the office 3 days a week (expected after-corona rules 2 days at home) it's already 36.000km/year, then you pay extra per kilometer.
MisterGreen offer up to 40.000km, but with that milage prices are VERY high, that's why I was asking for taxes and insurance because it seems cheaper to just own the car and lease the payment.
Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm happy to hear why! Thanks!
There are several leasing/financing options. Most leasing options indeed have a yearly mileage. This mileage is however only important if you plan to return the car after the lease ends. If you plan to buy the car at the end of the lease, the lease company doesn't care about mileage because they won't get stuck with a car with higher than foreseen mileage.

However, you need to budget this residual value at the end of your lease into your budget.

One trick people do is to ensure that residual value is agreed upon at the start of the lease, so by the end of the lease you know the cost to buy the car outright from the lease company. You'd probably also can estimate the actual mileage after the lease ends, so if you can ensure your residual value open to the lease company would be lower than the actual resale value, you'd be able to buy the car from your lease company and sell it immediately.

Most dealerships would help you with that. You'd present your current leased car as a car you'd trade in to the dealer, and chances are they are willing to buy if you're buying a new car with them. Even Tesla does that, with their trade-in department.

My advice when leasing or financing:
  • set a reasonable downpayment so that the residual value of your car at any time is higher than the outstanding capital
  • agree on a residual value which is lower than the actual value at the end of the lease
  • fully ensure the car
However, this probably means higher monthly repayments.

Quick update, after looking around I decided that I will purchase and not lease, it's just cheaper for those kilometers. Don't know if I will go with the SR+ and accept that I might need to supercharge sometimes in winter (if office charging is not an option) or yolo it and think about trips in europe so LR. I'm very scared about the quality of the US cars though, never spent 60k on a car and looking at reddit sometimes makes you think WTF?!?

At the moment it's 100% work from home so I can still save some money and only rent a car for the initial days that I have to be at work. I know about ufodrive if I even want to try a M3 again before buying.

When are deliveries usually happening here in NL? once every quarter? currently it states May on the website, so I would probably have to wait for the "next" round or two.
Thanks

Ps: if someone needs a ufodrive referral link, just ping me in private.

As I said in the above post #15 there is no real reason to take those kilometers in account. Purchasing cash is most of the time cheapest, but it does move your capital straight into something that's devaluing the moment you drive it off the parking lot.

Deliveries happen throughout, but ships arrive every 2nd and 3rd month of a quarter. So if the website says delivery by May, chances are you could get your car by mid to end may, or in June, if it's a combination that's popular and Tesla produced enough of them now and in April to ship them to Europe.

I love my S75D and consider buying it after the lease period. 250km never an issue if you stay at 100kmh. That’s also because I need the room of an S. My brother has a 3, totally different driving experience, much sportier, less comfort.

Hello All, taking delivery of my tesla next week, last minute rush to compare and find right insurance. Checked independer.nl, however, not many options for a new model Y :(. eg, i get this --> Het vermogen i.c.m. het gewicht van uw auto is te hoog
Can someone please help/guide on which insurance would be best (am looking at max coverage - all included). Thanks!

Hello All, taking delivery of my tesla next week, last minute rush to compare and find right insurance. Checked independer.nl, however, not many options for a new model Y :(. eg, i get this --> Het vermogen i.c.m. het gewicht van uw auto is te hoog
Can someone please help/guide on which insurance would be best (am looking at max coverage - all included). Thanks!

Haven't compared anything for the Model 3, but you could have a look at Centraal Beheer and form your opinion about their price.
They were very competitive for my Model S.

Reactions: TKMYLR