Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owning a Tesla without a place to charge: Brooklyn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great article.

I moved into a condo in June of 2014, and I'm still working on getting charging set up, so I can feel your pain :)

I've survived so far because there is enough free charging near home (OK, a mile walk), and now we just got charging available at work - that makes a huge difference!

We're hoping to get the condo situation resolved in the next year, it's never quick to modify a building's infrastructure.

I only had one issue when I was "hogged", not ICEd, by a fully charged Tesla and an I3. I got home limping with 1 mile to spare. How rude of an EV driver! Oh well. I guess we EV'rs are rude and selfish too. Otherwise, I have not worried about range at all. I am lucky in that I can charge in my garage at 240V, 23MPH. Spoiled, really. I also find it fun to calculate what I need to get where I am going.

Nice writeup. Note if you had installed a NEMA 14-50 at your other home instead of a "dryer plug" (14-30) you would charge at 40A and get 29 miles/hr rather than 18. Also there is no such thing as a Tesla dealership. It's a Tesla store. That's not just semantics, one if the best things about Tesla is being able to buy direct rather than going through a car dealership. We're so used to calling the place you buy a car a "dealership" that people forget it refers to one business model, and not the one Tesla uses.

Well written. I am currently looking into condos in Brooklyn and jersey city and worried about charging options. I feel much better after reading your post. Great job!!

I was trying to write what I wish I knew before I got the car. But I was hooked the first time I test drove it so it was either make it work, or just move to a new place with a charger...

I think this is the next thing Tesla has to tackle. In cities, they are decades from getting apartments and condos from providing electric for vehicles consistently. This is becoming more of an issue now that Tesla is about to unveil the Model 3 which will increase the number of Tesla's owned by those in condos. Solution? Tesla needs to identify major cities as Supercharger candidates and perhaps have a method of having folks be allowed to purchase passes for that "free" electric when they buy the car. I understand they did that originally with the 40 and 60.

Tesla needs to identify major cities as Supercharger candidates and perhaps have a method of having folks be allowed to purchase passes for that "free" electric when they buy the car. I understand they did that originally with the 40 and 60.
No, the 40 never had the possibility for supercharger access. It didn't have the range. The 60s initially had supercharging as an option, but the $2000 charge was described as being for the hardware and software IN THE CAR. Nothing to do with paying for electricity.