Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owning Early-Mid Production X Out of Warranty Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone here already out of warranty on their X, or will be soon? We've been considering just holding onto the X, or letting it go for another X, S or maybe 3.

Our X had a laundry list of issues and fixes. We've had pretty much every issue and even discovered some which became wide spread.

Since one of the worst ones, it's been pretty solid overall. Probably RRS territory for reliability and maintenance. There is till a decent amount of factory warranty left, and if Tesla can use it with CPO then the value of our X is sitting at a nicer point versus being out of warranty.

• Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
I'm wondering the same. We have a 2016 seven seater. I'd like a bigger battery, and we're right at 40k miles. I was trying to prod my hubby into jumping for a 100D, but we're 'waiting' to decide now. If we do keep it, we will buy the extended warranty. I'm also not sure about the new 7 seat interior. It has it's plusses, but I really like mine now. Sigh.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
@Mrcook4590 What about the new 7-seat config don't you like? I just ordered a 7-seater (current X has 6-seat) just to be different. Thanks
With mine now, I can move the seats up and back from the front. With the new configuration, you still can push a button on the seat to get in and out, but you cannot do it from the front. Also to move the middle row forward and backward, you must manually move it from a lever below the seat. The pros are that the new one folds flat for all rows, and I understand there is more room in the third row for leg room. I sent my daughter with my husband to the show room to check it out. She sat in the back and said she had more room. She also liked that the seat back for the middle seat in the middle row is lower so it is less claustrophobic. I also think the older version is much more sleek looking with the pedestal seats.

Reactions: teethdood
i would but that's just me. If you're not confident about your car's reliability then order a new one.

To each it’s own. I just expressed my opinion, that’s all. I owned an early 2016 MX with VIN 25xx. It was in the shop 43 days in the first 9 months of ownership. It was eventually bought back by Tesla. Having said that, I just bought p100d with vin 96xxx. Plan to own it for a while and already have extended warranty. Good luck with your decision.

To each it’s own. I just expressed my opinion, that’s all. I owned an early 2016 MX with VIN 25xx. It was in the shop 43 days in the first 9 months of ownership. It was eventually bought back by Tesla. Having said that, I just bought p100d with vin 96xxx. Plan to own it for a while and already have extended warranty. Good luck with your decision.
X right? Just making sure. I have one in the 15K VIN range so not too bad. It's been pretty good since but really trying to figure out the best course. Tesla with their current focus isn't going to give me as much as I'm sure I can get somewhere else so it's just adds another step to that path.

With mine now, I can move the seats up and back from the front. With the new configuration, you still can push a button on the seat to get in and out, but you cannot do it from the front. Also to move the middle row forward and backward, you must manually move it from a lever below the seat. The pros are that the new one folds flat for all rows, and I understand there is more room in the third row for leg room. I sent my daughter with my husband to the show room to check it out. She sat in the back and said she had more room. She also liked that the seat back for the middle seat in the middle row is lower so it is less claustrophobic. I also think the older version is much more sleek looking with the pedestal seats.
OK cool. We're a family of 3 so most of the time the 60-portion of the middle row (left+middle seats) will remain flat as well as the third row. I guess your concerns are different so don't apply to our scenario. Thank you. Also sorry op for threadcapping.

Reactions: Mrcook4590
I wouldn't be hugely confident with an X out of warranty based on my experience.
My MX100D car has been in the SC for stay overs 6-8 times ( i can't remember) in the first 12 months and in for plenty of out-patient care too.

I've had a large and varying range of issues - i won't go into them here - but would stress the varied nature of them. It seems like a whole lot of things can and do go wrong on these cars so it's not a matter of fixing 'the one thing with the Model X' and you're on easy street.

I don't suppose that mine will stop needing to go in on it's visits (they are not getting less frequent) so i would think that private ownership, out of warranty, on this thing would be prohibitively expensive and to be avoided.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and rjdoc74
I wouldn't be hugely confident with an X out of warranty based on my experience.
My MX100D car has been in the SC for stay overs 6-8 times ( i can't remember) in the first 12 months and in for plenty of out-patient care too.

I've had a large and varying range of issues - i won't go into them here - but would stress the varied nature of them. It seems like a whole lot of things can and do go wrong on these cars so it's not a matter of fixing 'the one thing with the Model X' and you're on easy street.

I don't suppose that mine will stop needing to go in on it's visits (they are not getting less frequent) so i would think that private ownership, out of warranty, on this thing would be prohibitively expensive and to be avoided.
I saw your post, honestly I'm surprised since it's much higher in VIN. I know there are the few here and there which will be lemons or problems, but it seems like theres more support for not owing it out of warranty than for. The next problem is what to go for if we decide to let it go.