Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owning Model 3 with 2 kids?

Would you own a Model 3 with 2 rear facing child car seats?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a mifold, and it tends to float between cars as needed when friends are along. It's good for one-off needs, but a bit of a pain to use, so not great for regular use. Essentially, the problem is that it's too portable, and doesn't stay put when not in use.

Well, thanks to this specific thread I bought two mifolds and the kids absolutely love them. Much smaller and it took about 5 minutes and just a few tries to teach my 6 and 8 year olds to strap in on their own. I didn't fully understand how they worked from the product website, so I made a video:

I actually have the model 3 and we have 3 boys. Two are forward facing (on the outsides using the latch systems) and in the middle we use this special booster (mifold) that pulls the belt down and places it appropriately. We also have the Pacifica Hybrid (you mention it above). It gets 33 miles on a charge and is a joy to drive. It has a 6.6 kWh onboard charger so it only takes a little over 2 hours to fully charge. We love both.
If you don't mind me asking, what is the special booster you use? I have a 3 kid situation as well!

I swear it was on a different URL that I can now no longer find, lol. But I did find this link that says the same Top 3 Mistakes When Installing Carseats Using LATCH
I think the issue is that most seats say not to use Latch and seatbelt at the same time to retain the seat. It would be fine to run the seatbelt behind the seat to buckle it in. Likewise, in a booster seat, you can use latch to retain the seat (for when no one's in it) and the seatbelt to secure the child.

Just a PSA to anyone who, like me, assumed LATCH was "superior" to using belts: While researching different possible configurations for the Model 3 to fit 3 across, I found out that the recommendation is to stop using LATCH once the seat + child exceed 65 lbs. In my case, Diono seats weigh about 25 lbs alone, so my 5 year old who weighs about 40 lbs is already technically too heavy for LATCH.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51 and ezevphl
What do you guys do when using latch and having the seat belt warning turn on? My current fix is to plug in the seat belt, but apparently that isn't what I am supposed to do. Thoughts?

I really dislike this aspect of the rear seat occupancy detection. I have to do the same to avoid the warning message (this is more cumbersome when using a booster seat vs LATCH because you constantly have to do it when the car seat/boost isnt used). I THINK this warning also triggers the disablement of other features...I've had autopilot and cruise become unavailable. The recessed buckle receptor (female end) is very difficult for kids to buckle themselves, even with a moderate width booster seat. I can only imagine how bad it would be with the bigger infant car seats.

Just a PSA to anyone who, like me, assumed LATCH was "superior" to using belts: While researching different possible configurations for the Model 3 to fit 3 across, I found out that the recommendation is to stop using LATCH once the seat + child exceed 65 lbs. In my case, Diono seats weigh about 25 lbs alone, so my 5 year old who weighs about 40 lbs is already technically too heavy for LATCH.
Yeah. When Latch first came out, seats were lighter and their own weight limits were lower, so it supposedly wasn't an issue. As of 2014, car seats are now required to note their Latch weight limit, which is max 65 lbs combined. That was between when my first and second were born, so I didn't realize it was an issue until more recently when the older one moved up to booster seats. I don't see anywhere that Tesla has published what the limits are on their cars, so we should assume it's 65 and defer to the car seat.

PS on why latch is safer: aside from the weight limits, I think the main safety factor is that you're more likely to install the seat correctly with Latch, rather than the retention being inherently better.

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded the manual for the seat we have from 2012. It says in the main safety warnings to use the vehicle's anchorage system (not mentioning Latch specifically) if available, no weight limit mentioned. In the detailed instructions, it says to refer to the vehicle's limits for Latch, and if not specified, assume a 40 lbs limit for the child. It doesn't mention accounting for the seat's 20 lbs weight, but 40 lbs of child would keep it under the modern 65 lbs total limit. (At the rate my younger one's growing, she'll exceed that about the time the seat hits its seven-year expiration date anyway)

Owning model 3 If you have two kids? Depends if you are an American. If you are American with kids you need an SUV.

That’s the #1 excuse that Americans bring to justify an SUV “I have kids!”. It’s a well known fact every family on earth who has kids drive an SUV.

Owning model 3 If you have two kids? Depends if you are an American. If you are American with kids you need an SUV.

That’s the #1 excuse that Americans bring to justify an SUV “I have kids!”. It’s a well known fact every family on earth who has kids drive an SUV.

If you have kids that are still in strollers, most sedans won't cut it. I only have one kid and the stroller and bags take up most of the trunk.