Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owning Multiple Tesla and App Issues.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, owning a Model 3 and a Y, I find myself having to take the phone out of my pocket and having to slide over to the car I want to operate. If for example, if I drove the Model 3 in the morning and want to drive the Model Y later in the day, I have to slide over to the Model Y for the car to unlock. Is there a way around this? Or do I just need to get the key fob? Not to mention, sometimes the car takes a lifetime to wake-up.

So, owning a Model 3 and a Y, I find myself having to take the phone out of my pocket and having to slide over to the car I want to operate. If for example, if I drove the Model 3 in the morning and want to drive the Model Y later in the day, I have to slide over to the Model Y for the car to unlock. Is there a way around this? Or do I just need to get the key fob? Not to mention, sometimes the car takes a lifetime to wake-up.

There isnt any way around this that I have read, other than a keyfob.

Reactions: RedWhite19
The recent app/and or car update *may* have fixed this. I noticed the last two days that I can switch between our 3 and Y without having to go to the app and swipe to the car I want. My app tends to sit in the Powerwall position so that might be a factor.

This is not first time I've thought they fixed it. Last time it turned to be a false alarm. I'm hopeful it is real this time. I will do some explicit testing when I have time.

The other work around is to swipe your NFC capable phone like a key card. That's what I was doing until I noticed the new behavior.

The recent app/and or car update *may* have fixed this. I noticed the last two days that I can switch between our 3 and Y without having to go to the app and swipe to the car I want. My app tends to sit in the Powerwall position so that might be a factor.

This is not first time I've thought they fixed it. Last time it turned to be a false alarm. I'm hopeful it is real this time. I will do some explicit testing when I have time.
Looks like another false alarm. I was pretty sure I was able to get in both cars earlier today without explicitly switching. I don't know if there is a time factor when switching that isn't present when I'm trying to explicitly test it or there something else going when it happens.

NFC swiping does still work though.

Reactions: RedWhite19
Looks like another false alarm. I was pretty sure I was able to get in both cars earlier today without explicitly switching. I don't know if there is a time factor when switching that isn't present when I'm trying to explicitly test it or there something else going when it happens.

NFC swiping does still work though.
ok, I've been consistently been switching between our 3 and Y without going into the app. I also have solar so my app is sitting on the Powerwall screen.

App version is 3.10.13 on a Google Pixel 3XL

Model Y 2021.4.18.2
Mode 3 2021.4.18.2

Anyone else able to reproduce?

Last edited:
my MY will not unlock the door for me, if the App is set to my MX. therefore i keep the app on MY and use the fob for MX , that solves the issue- even otherwise it take only a few seconds to swipe the cars in the APP. Not a show stopper.