Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P+ Dead in Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, I was hoping Tesla had moved past the 12V issues. I gotta imagine they'll put it to bed eventually, but it's a nasty issue for the folks it affects. Just not the kind of thing I envisioned as being the biggest mechanical issue the car would face.

Same thing happened to my P85+.

It has been at Tesla now for over a week to repair/address a number of other issues that weren't resolved in my first 3 weeks of ownership (received the car 6/4). Yes, I understand that it is a new, innovative company here but they really should be doing a better job releasing cars from the factory. Better factory QC would relieve pressure at the service centers and produce more satisfied customers.

It's been a frustrating experience however the staff at TM have consistently been professional and courteous. They are trying.

The only positive result is that the experience has given me an opportunity to compare the P85+ to the loaner 85.

I purchased the ESA last night with the expectation of owning the car for many years. Hopefully, I will not need to utilize the ESA all too often.

Good luck and I hope that you have a positive experience and get your car back soon.

Elon commented that they started sourcing their 12V batteries from a different supplier because of the insane failure rate. Hopefully they get rake the new supplier over the coals for this.

Went to the Addison (Dallas) store yesterday to pick up some car-care products (Brian is awesome at helping guide you to self preservation) and there was a load of old 12V batteries on a pallet. These were roadster batteries, but he said that they are being swapped out with the "red" ones, so this must not be an isolated issue.

Well, here is the experience so far....

Tesla sent a flatbed out to get the car, but my wife had to help the driver get the car out of the garage. The process took over an hour.

I patiently waited yesterday afternoon for a status call, at the minimum, but no call. This morning I called Menlo Park and the first response after giving the advisor my VIN was are you sure the car is here?? I replied with my phone app says it is. The problem was diagnosed is a “malfunction” in the high voltage battery pack and they are waiting for Fremont to send a replacement. Now I am use to Audi service, granted with an R8 the white glove treatment is expected, but even with our 5 year old A6 we are always given a loaner car. I complained about be left on my own to provide replacement transportation and I was told I needed to talk to a manger. The manger gets on the line and they are dropping off a loaner with no real anticipated completion day for my car.

This is not a very auspicious start to Tesla owner ship.

A couple of things… with likely over 14,000 Model S vehicles shipped to customers, I am pleased with the relatively few issues that are being expressed in the forums. You always see more problems on the internet forums than praise because people come here for help when they have a problem, not always vice versa. So I'm hopeful that what I'm reading here is not the typical Model S experience. Second, Tesla does need to get on top of this for the people who are having problems. I've noticed, especially in the forums over at Teslamotors.com, that some owners are reaching the boiling point. If that's true and not just FUD, it's only a matter of time before the media picks up on these issues no matter how widespread.

I, too, am surprised that Tesla hasn't licked this problem. I believe the last time this happened to a number of owners, it was traced to a bad batch of 12V batteries. It's essentially a motorcycle wet cell battery. I'm surprised Tesla didn't go with something a little more rubust, like a gel cell. Since this 12V battery powers the relay that allows the main battery to connect to the car, you're dead in the water if that 12V battery goes flat, even if the main pack has some juice left. I believe the 12V battery also powers the locking solenoid on the charge port. There's a lot riding on that one little 12V wet cell.

I, too, am surprised that Tesla hasn't licked this problem. I believe the last time this happened to a number of owners, it was traced to a bad batch of 12V batteries. It's essentially a motorcycle wet cell battery. I'm surprised Tesla didn't go with something a little more rubust, like a gel cell. Since this 12V battery powers the relay that allows the main battery to connect to the car, you're dead in the water if that 12V battery goes flat, even if the main pack has some juice left. I believe the 12V battery also powers the locking solenoid on the charge port. There's a lot riding on that one little 12V wet cell.

Let's hope they can at least fix this issue before investing millions of dollars on battery swapping stations that only a small number of people may end up using in the near future.

I think we are seeing real time results from a Musk squirrel test. They came out with a big announcement about how service was going to be a focus yada yada yada then followed that with super charging and battery swap announcements. It does take time to put structure in place and, the benefit of being CA and getting a lion's share of initial production is that you get to have all the service load related issues. It may simply take more time to get the depth of service capacity needed in your area. Destinations with fewer cars still have service centers thus the workload is not as high and service is much better. Dania Beach has been great.

I believe op got end of quarter QC - mad dash, get as many cars out the door to please Wall Street. I got mine at end of Q1, it was a crazy to get tons of cars out, this is same thing happening again, but Q2. Mine had some QC issues, similar to this.

*sadly shakes head*, I wish I could say I was surprised at either the cars problems or service issues. Much as I enjoy my car, I've had my own share of QC problems (noted elsewhere). And anecdotally almost every Model S owner I've talked to in person has had something that required work.

I recall someone mentioning (here?) that in a conversation with an employee on a factory tour that the defect rate has been really low, but I have to believe that's only on flat out lemons or some such because my sample set of a half dozen folks shows the exact opposite. Granted, small sample set, but if Tesla had a even 90% "ok" rate, then the odds of my sample set become astronomically unlikely.

Mine is scheduled to be completed in August, so mid-quarter. Hopefully I will avoid the end-of-quarter "dash". I've committed $2,500 reservation and just bought the $2,500 ESA, hearing about problems on a brand new delivery does not instill confidence.

Mine is scheduled to be completed in August, so mid-quarter. Hopefully I will avoid the end-of-quarter "dash". I've committed $2,500 reservation and just bought the $2,500 ESA, hearing about problems on a brand new delivery does not instill confidence.
FWIW, despite my QC issues, I'd still buy the car if I had to do it again. It's just that enjoyable.

Didnt Bob say it was the traction pack that was the problem, not the 12V in this case?

4288 sold with 5,500 miles (making room for P85+) and two very minor misalignment issues I chose not to have addressed (for fear of making things worse). Superb quality on MS #1 and will have a chance to sample initial quality on #2 in two weeks.

Didnt Bob say it was the traction pack that was the problem, not the 12V in this case?

We have had two problems which disabled the car, and both were in the charger electronics. Both times, we got that 12V low message. This apparently can be just a side effect of problems in the high voltage systems, since the 12V battery is dependent on these systems to charge it, and it has very little capacity on its own.

On the positive side, we had absolutely heroic service from Tesla in both instances, so it did not diminish our confidence in the car or the company in the longer run.