TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P R N D display turned red and lost power but no error messages

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jackie, Apr 25, 2018.

1. jackie

jackie Member

This problem first happened a few years ago and then went away on its own.

This time I was travelling back from the UK to the Netherlands and I was about 3 minutes from a Tesla Supercharger when I lost all power and P N R D display turned red. I was able to coast off the motorway onto the slip road but the motor would no longer respond.

I used road side assistance who looked at the logs but could only suggest I power off and wait atleast 5 minutes and then power back on. I tried that with them waiting for a couple of times with no success.
    While waiting for the AA to agree that they couldn't fix it and therefore the car and I could be brought to a Tesla Service Centre I powered off the car. After a futher 5 minutes I tried again and this time it didn't trip to red when I pressed the gas pedal and we could proceed on our journey.

It was atleast an hour an half before the car would finally drive on without the P N R D going straight from white to red.

I am posting this experience to see if anyone has any ideas as to why this happened.
    I am out of warranty and as the problem has gone away I can't see Tesla being able to find anything as I have travelled many kilometers since the problem occurred without any more issues.

I tried many Google searches for the problem but found nothing. Any ideas ?

2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

#2 Tam, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    I remember there were a handful reports of this type of problem of red P R N D and required Service Center to fix it but I can't find the postings.

I vaguely remembered that may be it has to do with a component dealing with the high voltage.

3. jackie

jackie Member

Thanks for the suggestion. And Oops just checked and this should read "P R N D"

4. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

#4 Tam, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    No wonder why the search didn't work!

Search also without spaces "PRND"

A simple fix could be a 12V battery but if that doesn't do, it could be drive unit replacement:

Model S becomes unresponsive while driving!

[​IMG]

5. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

My guess is the drive unit. When you powered off the vehicle it’s possible that the vehicle entered sleep and this somehow reset the DU controller. Pulling the 12 V power should have done the same.

• Like x 1
  6. jackie

jackie Member

Thanks for all the input.

And last night on the way home the problem reproduced itself and this time power off didn't solve anything. After 2 hours with help from Road Side Assistance the tow truck appeared and took the car to the Tesla Service Centre. They are now diagnosing the problem but initial suggestion is Drive Unit related based on the log they have. Once I know what they fix I will post more.

7. Tozz

Tozz Active Member

This probably wont help much, but I'm pretty familiar with this symptom. I had it in my Audi:

[​IMG]

It turned out the E-Clutch inside the Tiptronic gearbox was broken and this was a very costly repair. This was the last push I needed to order my Model S.

8. jackie

jackie Member

Just for record it was the drive unit and it was fixed under warranty so thankfully nothing to pay. The service centre explained that as I only have one drive unit (2013 P85 signature edition) it will shut down if it detects a problem to protect the batteries etc. They also said that they had run diagnostics before replacing the drive unit and not found any other problems. Just glad this happened once we were back in the Netherlands and not while we were away in the UK.

• Informative x 1