Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P- suspension options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bit of an update. Apologies for the delay, but I wanted to put a few miles on the suspension before I made comment on it.

I had the suspension fitted last Friday. Litchfield did a good job of the fitting, and bar the ride height being set a bit too low, everything went smoothly.

Litchfield passed comment on the high quality of the parts fitted (to thanks to Mountain Pass Performance for that) and how easy the Tesla was to work on.

The parts I had fitted were:

MPP Comfort Coilovers
MPP rear camber and toe arms
MPP front control arm bushes
Eibach anti roll bars

My initial impression was that the set up was very firm, but now I've raised the ride height a bit (the current ride height is about 20mm lower than standard)and put some miles on the set up, it's really beginning to shine.

I'm really impressed with the Comfort Coilovers. They really seemed to soften up after a few hundred miles, and the ride is much improved. The ride is still appreciably firm, but not harsh in any way and handles large bumps and undulations much better than the standard suspension. The car is more stable and the 'bobbing' up and down sensation at motorway speeds is now gone. They are also very quiet, bar a slight 'ping' when pulling off with a bit of lock applied. I assume this is the spring twisting slightly on the damper, and isn't something I'm particularly concerned about.

The steering feels more direct and offers slightly more feedback than previously. I imagine this is mostly attributed to the replacement front control arm bushes.

The anti roll bars have also significantly reduced body roll. I have the rear bar set to the softest setting, and the front in the middle. I don't feel the need to adjust them further.

The geometry was set to MPP's recommendations and the car handles and turns in beautifully. My only (very slight) criticism is that the settings could use a little more toe in, to increase straight line stability on the motorway - although this may result in a slight increase in tyre wear and energy consumption. I'll get it adjusted at some point, and will report back with my findings.

So, all in all, I'm very happy with the set up. Steering response is increased, ride quality has been improved and the body roll reduced. The car really should have been built like this in the first place.

On a side note, my dealings with MPP (and Litchfield, for that matter) have been very positive. They have always been very quick to answer any questions I had, and the standard of their customer service is as high as the quality of the products they sell. They're definitely worth chatting to if you're considering making similar changes to your car.

Last edited:
Bit of an update. Apologies for the delay, but I wanted to put a few miles on the suspension before I made comment on it.

I had the suspension fitted last Friday. Litchfield did a good job of the fitting, and bar the ride height being set a bit too low, everything went smoothly.

Litchfield passed comment on the high quality of the parts fitted (to thanks to Mountain Pass Performance for that) and how easy the Tesla was to work on.

MPP Comfort Coilovers
Eibach anti roll bars

My initial impression was that the set up was very firm, but now I've raised the ride height a bit (the current ride height is about 20mm lower than standard)and put some miles on the set up, it's really beginning to shine.

I'm really impressed with the Comfort Coilovers. They really seemed to soften up after a few hundred miles, and the ride is much improved. The ride is still appreciably firm, but not harsh in any way and handles large bumps and undulations much better than the standard suspension. The car is more stable and the 'bobbing' up and down sensation at motorway speeds is now gone. They are also very quiet, bar a slight 'ping' when pulling off with a bit of lock applied. I assume this is the spring twisting slightly on the damper, and isn't something I'm particularly concerned about.

The steering feels more direct and offers slightly more feedback than previously. I imagine this is most attributed to the replacement from control arm bushes.

The anti roll bars have also significantly reduced body roll. I have the rear bar set to the softest setting, and the front in the middle. I don't feel the need to adjust them further.

The geometry was set to MPP's recommendations and the car handles and turns in beautifully. My only (very slight) criticism is that the settings could use a little more toe in, to increase straight line stability on the motorway - although this may result in a slight increase in tyre wear and energy consumption. I'll get it adjusted at some point, and will report back with my findings.

So, all in all, I'm very happy with the set up. Steering response is increased, ride quality has been improved and the body roll reduced. The car really should have been built like this in the first place.

On a side note, my dealings with MPP (and Litchfield, for that matter) have been very positive. They have always been very quick to answer any questions I had, and the standard of their customer service is as high as the quality of the products they sell. They're definitely worth chatting to if you're considering making similar changes to your car.

That's so great to hear! Sasha likes it spicy handling-wise, so perhaps some more toe-in would be a good idea for those who want to relax. We spent a lot of time and effort tuning those dampers for what we felt was the best experience we could provide, so we are very happy to read your detailed review and see that you appreciated the nuances of what we have done. The FLCA bushings are largely responsible for that increase in steering response you are feeling. They are one of our favourite products we offer now. Thank you so much for your support and have an awesome weekend!

MPP Comfort Coilovers
Eibach anti roll bars

The steering feels more direct and offers slightly more feedback than previously. I imagine this is mostly attributed to the replacement front control arm bushes.

Good to hear. Can I ask what you've done about the headlight leveller sensor arms which attach to the factory camber arms but don't have anything to attach to on the MPP ones?

Awesome, and thanks for the feedback :)

To update on my exploration, setting regen to low definitely helps with the nose diving in corners, but this just highlights other problems. While the reasonably firm as stock springs keep it all pretty tidy at gentle speeds, up the speed much or hit a tarmac transition halfway round a corner and it's bouncing all over the place.

I still finding it hard to decide whether going to P+ set is the right answer or swapping out the whole set like you @U_S_D

Good to hear. Can I ask what you've done about the headlight leveller sensor arms which attach to the factory camber arms but don't have anything to attach to on the MPP ones?

Litchfield locked the sensors in place. They did comment that they could make some brackets, should I require them to.

I would have done so had the Fabricator been there that day, and I'll probably do so should I be there for anything in the future.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
Awesome, and thanks for the feedback :)

To update on my exploration, setting regen to low definitely helps with the nose diving in corners, but this just highlights other problems. While the reasonably firm as stock springs keep it all pretty tidy at gentle speeds, up the speed much or hit a tarmac transition halfway round a corner and it's bouncing all over the place.

I still finding it hard to decide whether going to P+ set is the right answer or swapping out the whole set like you @U_S_D

To be honest, and despite me now having boxes of excess car parts that I could do with moving on, the new set up is a huge upgrade over the original P suspension.

I had to think long and hard before deciding to upgrade the suspension, the parts aren't cheap and I didn't want to be disappointed. But I came to the conclusion that the cost is quite low in relation to the purchase price of the vehicle, and I'm glad that I went ahead with it. If I could have paid an extra £3k to have this from the factory, then I would have done.

MPP Comfort Coilovers
Eibach anti roll bars

How essential are the arms? Thats $800 of control arms there! Rear on mine should be fine (https://www.silicon-net.co.uk/tesla/alignement.PNG) as they could do with a bit less camber any way, I would be looking at around the minimum lowering of 10-15mm, and we have toe adjustment already?

Probably agree with the bushes and anti-roll bars tho.

After some back and forth with international customers we got our hands on a set of the ride height sensors and now designed and had the brackets made for the camber arm kits. Moving forward, all internationally shipped camber arm kits will include the bracket. For customers who already have the arms, we are happy to send the drawing over which can be easily duplicated by them or a local shop to get the job done.

How essential are the arms? Thats $800 of control arms there! Rear on mine should be fine (https://www.silicon-net.co.uk/tesla/alignement.PNG) as they could do with a bit less camber any way, I would be looking at around the minimum lowering of 10-15mm, and we have toe adjustment already?

Probably agree with the bushes and anti-roll bars tho.

I should mention that we have a bundle discount for ordering camber and/or toe arms with coilovers, so it is closer to $700 worth of arms!

The differences between the LR AWD and P suspension are minimal, with a slight ride height reduction and a strange tendency for the dampers to be poorly tuned or outright underdamped straight from the factory on the P model. I would never go through the trouble of buying and installing P suspension on an LR AWD, it is a completely sideways move.

After some back and forth with international customers we got our hands on a set of the ride height sensors and now designed and had the brackets made for the camber arm kits. Moving forward, all internationally shipped camber arm kits will include the bracket. For customers who already have the arms, we are happy to send the drawing over which can be easily duplicated by them or a local shop to get the job done.
Can you not just post the drawings here?