TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

P to look different than standard M3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by sitter_k, Jan 28, 2017.

Tags:
?

Would you want your P model 3 to have a different body like Audi S, BMW M, AMG?

1. Getting PxxD, no same just different badging.

2. Getting PxxD, yes I want it to look somewhat different

3. Not getting PxxD, yeah make them look all the same.

4. Not getting PxxD, sure make them look different/don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. sitter_k

sitter_k Member

Tesla has always made cars more or less the same other than wheels, spoiler and badging. This will probably be the same for model 3. However, Would it be better for Tesla or would you even want Tesla, to have stylistic differences for its PxxD (price of course being equal or negligible for this hypothetical) cars if this standard was up for possible debate within the company?

2. Phthalate

Phthalate Member

In most of the Germans as you've used as examples, the body styling changes are to accommodate bigger radiators/coolant systems/bigger engines. In the case of Tesla, we all know not much changes "under the hood" if you will. The Germans do a few things for aesthetics but a good deal of it is function over form.

The way I see it, the less room for error the better for Tesla. I would be much happier with a super solid interior than a bumper with a fake air vent or a creased hood.

If you want the sportier look, black your roof out and paint your calipers red. That adds about 20 horsepower.

• Funny x 6
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Matt125

Matt125 Member

I like the consistency Tesla have in that all models in a range look the same except for some minor differences.

Let the P have the calipers and spoiler, but I fail to see the benefit in having some superficial body modifications tacked on just to "hold one over" people who purchased the base Model. P owners will already benefit from better range and better acceleration.

Mind you, I'm never going to be able to afford a P unless my circumstances change beyond my wildest expectations so I don't really mind. As long as the base Model looks just like the one shown at the last reveal, I don't really mind!

4. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

P versions should have a larger intake and cooling so the car doesn't go into reduced output mode when pushed hard like the S does.

• Like x 1
  5. CTShore

CTShore Supporting Member

Actually, I am told that my 85D has slightly better range than the P85D.

• Informative x 1
  6. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I certainly don't need a different look. Tesla should focus on a consistent body style for ease of production and not worry about the Germans. ;)

• Like x 7
  7. Colsla

Colsla Member

maybe down the road.. like after the refresh. For now, I dont see them making a separate aerokit or whatever. Why? because they want to simplify everything.. at least to begin with as a lot is hanging on the success of Model 3.

8. JBsC6

JBsC6 Member

Keep the performance version looking the same as the standard version. Just change the tires or offer a performance option

9. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

all those cosmetic tweaks on ICE "performance" cars scream R.I.C.E to me.
    I'd rather not have that thanks.
    Funnily enough The Grand Tour this week ([censored] to [censored]) had a mini segment about launch control being pointless in ICE cars.
    Its only there for racing and drag strip, so they demonstrated using in normal driving. Very funny.
    Just like the silly nostrils, wings and air scoops of RICE.

• Like x 1
  10. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Just throw some K&N stickers on it so people know you mean business :)

• Funny x 2
  11. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

Next gen Roadster will be built on Model 3 platform. Model 3 is a mass production 'low cost' vehicle therefore I think the only differences between versions maybe wheel options and paint color.

• Funny x 1
  12. eisbock

eisbock Member

It will look the same. We're mass producing an economy car here, people. There's only money in the budget for one body panel production line. This should be blindingly obvious considering neither the Model S or Model X looks change between trim levels.

13. JSkrehot

JSkrehot Member

Yes, it will look different. It will have a P in front of the battery size on your badge, nothing else, just like their greater than $100,000 cars.

14. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

As someone planning to get a PxxD-L, I'm perfectly fine with it being a "nuanced" look. Brake calipers and badging.

I've reflashed the ECU in my current car, so it put out ~110 more HP than it's badging and looks would indicate.

Sometimes that makes things more fun. :D

• Like x 1
  15. boiler81

boiler81 Member

I won't be springing for the PxxD as its out of my budget. However I can see that folks spending that much additional might want more distinctive styling features to help differentiate the additional expense. That being said, I agree with other, it unlikely they would start doing this on the "mass market" Model 3.

16. Jayc

Jayc Member

Oh please not the badge nonsense please.

Let's the Audi BMW crowd feel proud of themselves with their worthless badges and Tesla can concentrate on being understated and simply better than everyone else.

17. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Two things:
    - As far as I know they are currently having two production lines for the Gen-II cars (S+X). My guess is that they anyway will need even more production lines for the Gen-III (3+Y++?) cars. At least 4 just for the Model 3 if they should reach the production numbers they have been talking about.
    - On the one or two production line(s) they have currently, I do think they produce Model S and X intermixed on the same line. If they can produce two so different cars on the same line it would be obvious that they also could produce more then one trim level on one or more of the production lines for the Model 3, like a coupe, wagon, convertible, SUV/CUV (Model Y) or just some smaller trim differences.

... but with that said, I do hope they do not connect any trim level options with the "P", "D" or "L" option.

18. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

APR Stage 2 GTI?

19. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

A3 stage 1 w/the intake.

With 93 octane I get 318hp with the newest software revision. Stock is 220.

Edit: the newer A3 engine, EA888

Second edit: 91 octane have me 318. 93 was 329.

20. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

Here's a thought....Instead of badging, designate the "P" models with a red electroluminescent "T" on the trunklid, and either white or blue light for the non-P models. Of course would only be visible at night.

• Like x 1