Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P to look different than standard M3?

Would you want your P model 3 to have a different body like Audi S, BMW M, AMG?

• Getting PxxD, no same just different badging.

• Getting PxxD, yes I want it to look somewhat different

• Not getting PxxD, yeah make them look all the same.

• Not getting PxxD, sure make them look different/don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has always made cars more or less the same other than wheels, spoiler and badging. This will probably be the same for model 3. However, Would it be better for Tesla or would you even want Tesla, to have stylistic differences for its PxxD (price of course being equal or negligible for this hypothetical) cars if this standard was up for possible debate within the company?

In most of the Germans as you've used as examples, the body styling changes are to accommodate bigger radiators/coolant systems/bigger engines. In the case of Tesla, we all know not much changes "under the hood" if you will. The Germans do a few things for aesthetics but a good deal of it is function over form.

The way I see it, the less room for error the better for Tesla. I would be much happier with a super solid interior than a bumper with a fake air vent or a creased hood.

If you want the sportier look, black your roof out and paint your calipers red. That adds about 20 horsepower.

I like the consistency Tesla have in that all models in a range look the same except for some minor differences.

Let the P have the calipers and spoiler, but I fail to see the benefit in having some superficial body modifications tacked on just to "hold one over" people who purchased the base Model. P owners will already benefit from better range and better acceleration.

Mind you, I'm never going to be able to afford a P unless my circumstances change beyond my wildest expectations so I don't really mind. As long as the base Model looks just like the one shown at the last reveal, I don't really mind!

all those cosmetic tweaks on ICE "performance" cars scream R.I.C.E to me.
I'd rather not have that thanks.
Funnily enough The Grand Tour this week ([censored] to [censored]) had a mini segment about launch control being pointless in ICE cars.
Its only there for racing and drag strip, so they demonstrated using in normal driving. Very funny.
Just like the silly nostrils, wings and air scoops of RICE.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Next gen Roadster will be built on Model 3 platform. Model 3 is a mass production 'low cost' vehicle therefore I think the only differences between versions maybe wheel options and paint color.

• Funny
Reactions: ilg
It will look the same. We're mass producing an economy car here, people. There's only money in the budget for one body panel production line. This should be blindingly obvious considering neither the Model S or Model X looks change between trim levels.

I won't be springing for the PxxD as its out of my budget. However I can see that folks spending that much additional might want more distinctive styling features to help differentiate the additional expense. That being said, I agree with other, it unlikely they would start doing this on the "mass market" Model 3.

Oh please not the badge nonsense please.

Let's the Audi BMW crowd feel proud of themselves with their worthless badges and Tesla can concentrate on being understated and simply better than everyone else.

It will look the same. We're mass producing an economy car here, people. There's only money in the budget for one body panel production line. This should be blindingly obvious considering neither the Model S or Model X looks change between trim levels.
Two things:
- As far as I know they are currently having two production lines for the Gen-II cars (S+X). My guess is that they anyway will need even more production lines for the Gen-III (3+Y++?) cars. At least 4 just for the Model 3 if they should reach the production numbers they have been talking about.
- On the one or two production line(s) they have currently, I do think they produce Model S and X intermixed on the same line. If they can produce two so different cars on the same line it would be obvious that they also could produce more then one trim level on one or more of the production lines for the Model 3, like a coupe, wagon, convertible, SUV/CUV (Model Y) or just some smaller trim differences.

... but with that said, I do hope they do not connect any trim level options with the "P", "D" or "L" option.