Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100 Auxiliary Feed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am installing a Thinkware F800 Pro and it requires an auxiliary feed

Please note that the off-voltage feature is only enabled when the dash cam is hardwired for Parking Surveillance Mode. We
do not recommend that you power the dash cam continuously overnight, as it risks draining your car battery and damaging the dash cam

8817231_sa.jpg

Watching DA Erick excellent video on a Blackvue install https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWnIrvuO5_M

There is an unused plug I can tap in the mirror housing (@ 8:30 Mins) but I still need an auxiliary feed does anyone know if there is one in the mirror?

Thanks

I’ve got my BlackVue plugged into constant on. The 12v battery is charged from the HV pack when needed, and the camera draws very little current. It will run practically forever. No need to wire both switched and non-switched power, as long as it uses GPS/sensors to switch between driving and parked mode.

I am installing a Thinkware F800 Pro and it requires an auxiliary feed

Please note that the off-voltage feature is only enabled when the dash cam is hardwired for Parking Surveillance Mode. We
do not recommend that you power the dash cam continuously overnight, as it risks draining your car battery and damaging the dash cam

View attachment 262830

Watching DA Erick excellent video on a Blackvue install https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWnIrvuO5_M

There is an unused plug I can tap in the mirror housing (@ 8:30 Mins) but I still need an auxiliary feed does anyone know if there is one in the mirror?

Thanks
1-IMG_6488.JPG 2-IMG_6491.JPG 3-IMG_6492.JPG

Here's how I wired the power for Thinkware F800 on my Model S, AP 2.0:
  • The red wire on the Thinkware power harness goes to the top red/blue wire on the mirror connector (ignore the extra green wire connector in the picture).
  • The yellow wire on the Thinkware power harness goes to the black/red wire on the extra microphone connector.
  • The black wire on the Thinkware power harness goes to the black wire on the extra microphone connector.

Awesome - thanks.

Another question - the hardwire kit from Thinkware came up fuses on the red and yellow wire - do I need those fuses. Sorry for the newb questions.
It won't hurt to leave those fuses on the wires (probably a good idea to leave them). I don't recall if I left mine in place or not, I think I did. If the Thinkware camera shorts out it will hopefully blow those fuses first, before hitting the one that is used by the mirror.

Mine is plugged into the OBD II port under the dash with an OBD II to 12 volt accessory socket cable I made. That way you don't need to cut the original BV cable or tap or splice into any tesla wires. It's all hidden behind the kickpanel to the left side under the steering wheel.

Mine is plugged into the OBD II port under the dash with an OBD II to 12 volt accessory socket cable I made. That way you don't need to cut the original BV cable or tap or splice into any tesla wires. It's all hidden behind the kickpanel to the left side under the steering wheel.
Nice. But hooking into the mirror power wires doesn't require running a cable down an A pillar to get to the footwell. With my Thinkware F800 install, all the wiring is up in the headliner. It's hidden up in the front, then I run the back camera wire down the passenger side headliner, then out and up into the liftgate. It made for a relatively simple and clean install. And the mirror/mic area provides both constant and switched +12V.

That is literally about a 10 minute job to run it through the headliner and only an extra 2 or 3 minutes if you're already going to run the rear camera coax through the headliner to the rear.

Now running that cable through the rubber wire loom connecting the roof interior to the hatch interior is a PIA unless you use conduit lube which turns that from a 20 minute job of push and worming into a 30 second slip through.

Hey @icefree - how did you tap into the wires - I've seen most people use Posi-Taps - but seems like you're using something else?

Thanks again man - you've been very helpful so far. Almost done with the install. Will post pics once its done.
No prob. I used some generic automotive wire taps that I had handy. The Posi-Taps are probably better connectors, but any connector that works with the wire gauge that you are using should be fine.

Folks,

Does anyone know what the connector in the back of the mirror housing is called/referenced as? I am trying to avoid splicing into the original wire and find some sort of extension cable that I cloud potentially use. For reference - I tried to take detailed pics of the connector. Maybe someone with a service manual can look it up for me :)

Thanks again.

.IMG_20180127_140421_3.jpg IMG_20180127_140701.jpg IMG_20180127_140714_4.jpg IMG_20180127_140717_2.jpg