Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D, 760HP and Performance Tests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I love Tesla, there is absolutely no way P100DL is faster than Rimac. Rimac's performance will outrun the 3 million dollars Bugatti from low speed all the way up to even at 300 km/h (186 mph). The cars in literally in different league.

Concept one specs say that P100D beats it to 60. Plus they have to deliver an actual car.

I saw an advertisement from them that they are only producing 8 cars worldwide, on top of that that was from 2013... so far they claim to have delivered 1 car though it had dealer plates so I doubt that they even delivered that 1 car. Tesla is the quickest production car!

In my opinion quickness is much more useable then fastness and a lot less likely to land you in jail with the added bonus of silence when your going quickly, Tesla rules the roost IMO.

I'm sure if I lived near the autobahn I'd sing a different tune but anything triple didgets is jail I'm just interested in quickness not top speed.

Last edited:
That might be deliberate. Both Saleen's abortive attempt to make a Tesla variant and Harley Davidson's electric motorcycle experiment deliberately embraced straight cut gears to generate noise - to give them a turbine like whine for the "enjoyment" of the driver/rider.
Straight cut gears also incur less side-load on a gearbox than helical, so there can also be engineering considerations for implementing them.

Given your last post i am now quite convinced you dont actually know what a powerglide transmission is. You can read up on it here:
Powerglide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll note that this transmission uses planetary gearsets, drums and bands. While there are clutch packs, they do not work the way you describe nor do they perform the function you think they do. The GM Powerglide is also not compact at 27.5 inches long in its shortest configuration.

The dual clutch design you are describing is more like a DSG:
Direct-shift gearbox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Direct Sequential Gearbox IS a compact design of essentially two manual transmissions mashed together. And while you think this may be your holy grail of transmission solutions I would like to direct your attention to the rather extensive Problems and Recalls section of this article. In short, this is not a bulletproof solution. Not even close.

Also, while you are on your Wikipedia adventure be sure to look up what a shift linkage is. You'll definitely want to know this if you want to keep talking about transmissions and not sound like a complete dumbass. Also, please don't ever say there are no moving parts ever again while describing an automotive transmission. Almost every part in a transmission moves. You might even say every part except the housing.

Now on to the more pressing arguement. Why bother with a transmission at all when you could potentially solve the problem with a taller reduction gear. A 2.5 second 0-60 time is cool and all but really not necessary if overall performance is desired. This is all assuming that the defined torque curve isn't limited by the motor or, more likely, battery overheating. If overheating is the issue then adding a transmission isn't going to solve anything. The motor is going to be working harder and the battery producing more heat. Bingo, it's game over once again. This; this right here is why adding the unnecessary complexity of any transmission to a tesla is laughable. It's not solving any major limitation, is adding needless complexity and therefore useless at creating a solution.
Does not matter if I know how it works, I was only using it as an example off a transmission that can take the power of an electric motor. I don't give a *sugar* how it works as I was only using at as an example of strength you jack ass now drop it. I never said it was a simple transmission with no moving parts.

The bell housing would not have to be as long so length could be shortened. Last time I checked this car has room for the trans but it doesn't matter because im not saying to use a powerglide.

THERE WOULD NOT BE A SHIFT LINKAGE. Here is one that I looked up like you said:
2.jpg

Ya this would not be on there because there is no selecting of a gear. No synchronizing the speed of a loosely connected gear with the input speed so it can be connected. Its always connected, so no shift linkage. Just a computer telling which clutch to close. Please name a component other than the clutches and the spinning shafts and gears that would be a moving part in this possible gearbox.

The dsg is practically the same thing as dct so whats your point? That recall section means nothing because the failure rate would be much lower than those transmissions because it would be much simpler.
Picture from the article you linked:

220px-Cambio_a_doppia_frizione.svg.png

It could actually look exactly like this, as simple and clean as this exact picture. Your would not need anymore parts other than the oil (for the gears and clutch) the few components that go with the clutch, and the lines running to the computer than what you see right here. Just delete gears 3-6, leave 1 gear on each input shaft and have them firmly connected to the bottom gray shaft there.

Now why need a second gear? So you can have optimum acceleration at low and high speed. With a fixed gear you have to choose between good low or high speed acceleration. Tesla has clearly opted to go with low speed acceleration due to the rate of acceleration slowing rapidly as you reach, pass, and go beyond 100. You could add a taller gear but then down low performance would suffer. You could have the amazing down low performance that the tesla has now up to around 100(which is the speed that the rimac shifts btw) and then you could shift and have that amazing acceleration all over again from 100 up to 200+ or whatever you want the to speed to be. In normal driving the trans could stay in one gear to prolong clutch life (or shift I don't know if efficiency would change like what some of the other people in this thread are talking about) but in drag racing, road course racing coming in and out of turns, and just a highway pull, you could shift to second to get that 100+ acceleration. All while keeping the 0-60, beginning of quarter mile(or whatever distance) run, and accelerating out of a corner that first gear offers. Im not going to talk about overheating as we all know tesla could use some work on the cooling systems.

Again not needed for a model s or x. They are not performance cars. Unless tesla wanted to turn the pXXXdl into a real performance sedan/suv.

Concept one is 2.6 to 100kph(62mph) so it will be a tad quicker to 60 than the 2.6 and about the same as tesla 0-60 at 2.5 and of coarse destroy it in everything else. Rimac just delivered a car to a customer in Florida.
Pretty sure 2.6 to 100kph(62mph) is without roll-out coz it is in Europe. If you have to adjust Tesla number for an apple-to-apple comparison, it would be 2.54 second (with roll out for 60 mph) + 0.1 (for 62 mph) + 0.3 (without roll out) = 2.94 second for P100DL.

Most of the sound you can hear from the Rimac at the start of the video sounds like a cooling system. Once moving it's cooling plus the 4 PM DC motors and 4 gearboxes (this PDF might be of interest to some on here!).

Been following these guys for a while. Would love to see one on a track.

Edit - looks like they repackaged from 4 x single hub motors to 2 x dual motors.

Does not matter if I know how it works, I was only using it as an example off a transmission that can take the power of an electric motor. I don't give a *sugar* how it works as I was only using at as an example of strength you jack ass now drop it. I never said it was a simple transmission with no moving parts.

The bell housing would not have to be as long so length could be shortened. Last time I checked this car has room for the trans but it doesn't matter because im not saying to use a powerglide.

THERE WOULD NOT BE A SHIFT LINKAGE. Here is one that I looked up like you said:
2.jpg

Ya this would not be on there because there is no selecting of a gear. No synchronizing the speed of a loosely connected gear with the input speed so it can be connected. Its always connected, so no shift linkage. Just a computer telling which clutch to close. Please name a component other than the clutches and the spinning shafts and gears that would be a moving part in this possible gearbox.

The dsg is practically the same thing as dct so whats your point? That recall section means nothing because the failure rate would be much lower than those transmissions because it would be much simpler.
Picture from the article you linked:

220px-Cambio_a_doppia_frizione.svg.png

It could actually look exactly like this, as simple and clean as this exact picture. Your would not need anymore parts other than the oil (for the gears and clutch) the few components that go with the clutch, and the lines running to the computer than what you see right here. Just delete gears 3-6, leave 1 gear on each input shaft and have them firmly connected to the bottom gray shaft there.

Now why need a second gear? So you can have optimum acceleration at low and high speed. With a fixed gear you have to choose between good low or high speed acceleration. Tesla has clearly opted to go with low speed acceleration due to the rate of acceleration slowing rapidly as you reach, pass, and go beyond 100. You could add a taller gear but then down low performance would suffer. You could have the amazing down low performance that the tesla has now up to around 100(which is the speed that the rimac shifts btw) and then you could shift and have that amazing acceleration all over again from 100 up to 200+ or whatever you want the to speed to be. In normal driving the trans could stay in one gear to prolong clutch life (or shift I don't know if efficiency would change like what some of the other people in this thread are talking about) but in drag racing, road course racing coming in and out of turns, and just a highway pull, you could shift to second to get that 100+ acceleration. All while keeping the 0-60, beginning of quarter mile(or whatever distance) run, and accelerating out of a corner that first gear offers. Im not going to talk about overheating as we all know tesla could use some work on the cooling systems.

Again not needed for a model s or x. They are not performance cars. Unless tesla wanted to turn the pXXXdl into a real performance sedan/suv.

I like this guy.

Just keep in mind that transmissions are not nearly as simple as you are making them out to be. It's never "just a matter" of doing anything.

Rimac has a very compelling car but their designs are largely borrowed from Formula 1. F1 racing isn't known for reliability as the real world would require. Components fail all the time and, for the most part, only have to survive one race. Rimac may have something interesting but it is largely untested in the market. Their car will likely have unforseen maintenance issues and we just won't know until it happens.
The measure of the company will be how they help the customers after purchase and how they improve their cars to account for these problems.

And finally, if you don't think that the Model S is a performance sedan then you should go rent a Corrola for a week :)

• Funny
Reactions: msnow
They used straight cut gears not to generate noise but to save weight on transmission housings.
Quiet gears produce side-forces against the transmission housing, thus it has to be stronger i.e. heavier.

The weight savings and efficiency gains are real.

Having said that, the examples I quoted both had press releases saying they went straight cut for the sound, for enthusiasts.

I haven't seen Rimac saying that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it factored into their thinking.