Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D, 760HP and Performance Tests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my P100DL just completed production....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 6.05.32 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 6.05.32 AM.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 104
Question, how does the P100DL 'only' get a 10.7s 1/4 time when the Tesla Racing Channels P90DL does a 10.8s. Isn't it 567kwh vs ~512kwh?

The power graph comparison shows that the extra power is only in a fairly narrow range. Think of total area under the curve for each and the area is not that much less on the V2/V3 P90DL.

So:

At any rate, I predict 1760 to 1765 amps * (310 to 314) volts.

...567 Is just a tad higher than my high prediction of 554KW. Very impressive.

• Informative
Reactions: mdevp
P90DL v3 with 19 inch all season tires with sun roof. Runs 11.03 for 1/4 mile

versus

P90DL v3 with 21 inch performance tires without sun roof. Runs 10.80 for 1/4 mile

Just a side note, the sun roof alone does NOT account for all of that 0.2 second difference. Performance tires are wider and the material has more grip.

Not apples to apples. My P85DL is slower to 60, 70, 80, and 90 MPH with my stock 21" wheels vs my stock 19" wheels tested at the same charge level at max battery on the same day under the same conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and ggnykk
I honestly don't even know how the EPA tested range is a factor to the range display/calculation of the car, my understanding is that the EPA tests a car and thats the range that it sees the car has based on whatever factors that shouldn't be the default value of range displayed/estimated.

The Rated Miles (RM) value essentially boils down to a unit of energy per mile (ie. 290 Wh/mile). I'm pretty certain that that value of each RM varies between vehicles based on hardware variances that would have a significant effect (ie. "P" model, "D" model, battery size, etc.). As far as why that value is calculated in and displayed in RM, is because that has been the US standard performance test for electric vehicles to obtain a range value, as determined by the EPA.

So my question is, why wouldn't Tesla display this number on the dash? What would you prefer they display instead? Will everybody always get the RM range during a drive, absolutely not. I think everyone here will agree, that without abnormal conditions, it's pretty darn easy to get it if you keep your speed down.

The Rated Miles (RM) value essentially boils down to a unit of energy per mile (ie. 290 Wh/mile). I'm pretty certain that that value of each RM varies between vehicles based on hardware variances that would have a significant effect (ie. "P" model, "D" model, battery size, etc.). As far as why that value is calculated in and displayed in RM, is because that has been the US standard performance test for electric vehicles to obtain a range value, as determined by the EPA.

So my question is, why wouldn't Tesla display this number on the dash? What would you prefer they display instead? Will everybody always get the RM range during a drive, absolutely not. I think everyone here will agree, that without abnormal conditions, it's pretty darn easy to get it if you keep your speed down.

My point and the point of the OP I chimed in on was not about achieving the RM number but the RM number being higher than advertised the first few weeks/months of ownership. I assume thats why they have Ideal vs Rate Miles to begin with the differentiation between their advertised range and the EPA range. Its not realistic to get the EPA range based on how people drive, yes its achievable but not under "normal" circumstances with variables such as weather, road grade, and wind resistance, plus lead foot (guilty). So the point and problem is that if the battery shows ~317-320 RM for the P100D when its new you can expect that to settle into ~300-305 RM once "settled" which is great because that means a good ~280 Real World Mile Range

This... does not surprise me. It feels like the MobileEye separation might have been a bit unexpected in comparison with how it was presented, and coupled with the point cloud/several-cars-ahead radar improvements announced, it looks like the effort to squeeze more functionality out of the existing firmware is in full force.

I am (only just) moderately concerned about Tesla's ability to completely in-house the computer vision processing software themselves. MobileEye's been doing this for a long time and it's all they do. Really curious to see what new hardware suite and what supplier they land with for AP 2.0 whenever that happens. (This time next year?)

Not to hijack the thread, but how is Uber-ing going? Would love to hear more stories, maybe in your original thread :)