TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P100D - 93.6k if you can live without a sunroof. Might be cheapest on market.

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by Evil Twin, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

Saw this deal on CarGurus.

Might be the cheapest P100D on the net, so long as you can live without the sunroof.

Thought I'd pass it along....Look at the picture of the seller.....tell me he doesn't look like an honest guy....

Used Tesla Model S For Sale - CarGurus

• Like x 1
  2. cellphonechris

That car seems like a great deal at the asking price, but if I were looking for something in the $100K range, I would get it EXACTLY the way I wanted it.

3. Electric-fied

Electric-fied Member

Very nice deal but tons of miles by EV standards. But honestly I’d rather not have sunroof as less potential for leaks down the road.

4. cizUK

cizUK Member

Isn't the general rule that EVs will go well over the mileage of ICEs?
    Some Model S cars have been over 300,000 miles, and the warranty is unlimited mileage anyway.

• Disagree x 1
  5. Phrixotrichus

Phrixotrichus Member

What? no!

The general guarantee for the car is 4years/50k miles. Only battery and DU have "unlimited" mileage for their 8 year guarantee.
    And there is no rule that EVs in general will live a longer life than ICEs as no one of us can see into the future.

• Like x 1
  6. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Yes! :)

Unscientific, generalized car wear data points to EVs (at least Tesla) lasting longer.
    Why are ICE cars retired?: Worn out, engine failure, trans failure, accident
    Aluminum body will likely last as long or longer than steel body.
    No pressurized high temp coolant system.
    No exhaust system/ cat.
    Lower vibrations
    No fuel pump
    DU and pack warranty mean it will be mobile for 8/infinity. With Tesla's million mile DU goal, likely a long time.
    DU out of warranty replacement likely lower cost than engine/trans swap.

Disclaimer: I drive 100k and 200k mile cars, so my threshold for functional is lower than most...

• Like x 1
  7. Electric-fied

Electric-fied Member

I agree here. But my comment was somewhat directed at the time frame he's owned it and the mileage being its a end of 2016 build.

8. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

not my problem....i just saw the ad on the internet and passed it along.....

9. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

$80K and I’ll take it. Not worried about the warranty.
    With all the heat cold cycles that ICE cars go though they will definitely degrade faster than a car with 300 moving parts.

Also the battery replace in 10ish years will be a lot cheaper than a new engine install on an ICE.

Finally the priceless laughing at every launch watching/ hearing ICE car abuse the engine trying to keep up and watching them drop back at every shift.

10. skreemer7

skreemer7 Member

This is a great price for one with ap2 I think. I'd bid you up to 81k.

• Like x 1
  11. Oldschool496

Oldschool496 Member

#11 Oldschool496, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    This is a great deal. New its $140-$143,000 plus tax 50 grand off or 33%. He clearly does not beat on the car as he replaced the tires at 30k. At first I was like high mileage. But, now I get it, its a real good deal even at what he is asking. The white though I cannot do, the red I already have and no sunroof is a plus, whistles, wind noise down the road we can all do without.

FSD activated? Don't think so. This is a deal,
    if you can do the white interior. The armor-all or whatever on the door trim and I'm sure other places, also not my bag. Really fantastic Deal, unless he ran it over some curbs or something.

• Like x 1
  12. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I did check out the new full glass roof this week and really liked it. Just wonder how this impacts rollover protection.

13. Sunshine State

That is what people say. I can’t count how many used Tesla’s I’ve seen where the owner boasts “New Drive Unit" or "New Battery" under warranty! What happens after warranty? How many used 2, 3, or 4 year old Mercedes and Lexus cars have new engines. I’ll answer that, very few! In fact if the engine fails in warranty on a Luxury car most times the manufacturer does a voluntary "trade assist" for customer satisfaction and then wholesales the car. I dont keep any car outside of warranty. I might not win by selling them at the end of warranties but I sure can’t loose.

14. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

That is due to issues with the original versions of the drive unit. Similar to certain ICE model years that had engine issues (except Tesla updates theirs), vehicles with replaced drive units are more reliable and sought after.

Would you rather have an car with an 2012 engine with 80k miles on it or a 2016 engine with 20k?

15. Sunshine State

I’d rather just have a new one with zero, a P car doesn’t look any different with 30,000 launches but I bet it has a lot less life left. Not knocking this car at all but modern ICE cars are extremely reliable with virtually no engine, transmission or axle failures. For the comparatively few Tesla’s built there is a high failure rate, remember I said comparatively before someone chimes in defending the failure numbers which isn’t public information. I’m just going from the great number of cars listed with replacements. I have several late model Tesla’s and we love them, I’m not knocking the cars but just stating the obvious.

• Like x 1
  16. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Sure nuff, I was just expounding on people marketing replaced DUs.

FWIW, I've replaced 2 transmissions out of warranty. Coworkers have had two transmissions replaced (third is defective from factory, but out of warranty for the issue). Now that Tesla has the motor bearing issue figured out, they should last a long time.

17. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

dont forget every other vehicle than Tesla has a ton of computer modules, as many as 80 of them, all there with their wiring harnesses and connector to fail or go intermittent with ceaseless ICE vibration.

• Disagree x 1
  18. Sunshine State

Don’t take me wrong but....I think you are going a bit overboard with this ceaseless vibration talk. I’m not sure what vibrating cars you have been driving but I like the smooth acceleration of our Tesla’s too, but we also have BMW’s and Mercedes cars and their engines are incredibly vibration free. The road generative vibration is the same in a gas or electric car and it will effect the car just the same whatever powers them.

• Like x 2
  19. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

you should try the 430D loaner I had. I could consistently set off different rattles at different engine rpm.
    Literally it became a game, and this on an almost new car with 4K miles on it.

Complete POS - reckon Telsa gave it to me just to prove how good my P100D was - oh wait

My wider point being that Tesla have reduced multiple points of faliure to one (well a few) piece of computing hardware. Still costly to replace but inherently less failure opportunity

• Disagree x 1
  20. Sunshine State

Oh, I didn’t see you were from the UK. I think the threshold tolerance for NVH in the US is different than in Europe. There are very few Diesels here and in Luxury cars even fewer. Mercedes offered diesel ML250’s for a short time and then went back to the 3.0 turbo six in the GLE350d before abandoning it completely because the ML/GLE 350 gas SUV outsold the turbo4 and 6’s by a staggering percentage. Turbo 4’s are not favored here except in VW TDI dirty diesel economy cars where the trade off for fuel economy was acceptable. BMW still builds diesel 6’s here but exports almost the entire number except for a few and that small number may end soon.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1