TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P100D and P85D CAN bus data compared for 0-60

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by ben.krasnow, Jan 25, 2017.

1. ben.krasnow

ben.krasnow Member

I've had the chance to log some 0-60mph perf data from the CAN bus with an oscilloscope on a P85D insane, and P100D ludicrous+. Both tests were done with max battery ready and SoC at 85%. Ambient temp 50*F. 21" wheels.

P100DL+ limits to 1830A, and battery voltage sags from 390V to about 310V, giving 570KW.

P85D insane limits to 1300A with a similar battery sag, giving 403KW

Even though both cars have similar power curves for 0-30mph, the P100D is quicker. By seat-of-pants, it's actually a significant difference. P85D is about 1g of acceleration for first 1.4 sec, P100D is about 1.1g for first 1.7 sec. I can only assume this is because the gear ratio is different, or there was some other efficiency gain made in the drivetrain.

These tests do not include the "1-foot rollout" since I'm using the actual road speed as measured by the wheel speed sensors in the car, so this is a true 0-60 time, which is about 0.2sec slower than all reported and spec'd times for all cars that use 1-foot rollout.

I'll probably be tweeting/posting more data, and may soon make a youtube video on my channel, Applied Science.
    Ben Krasnow on Twitter

Let me know if you have any questions, or have any suggestions for what to monitor in the CAN bus data.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 13
    • Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  2. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Thanks for the hard data.
    I am surprised - is that 3.25 0-60 withOUT Ludicrous? Super quick ! Ludicrous certainly made a big difference to the way my car felt in that range.

3. ben.krasnow

ben.krasnow Member

Wikipedia says 3.1 seconds 0-60 for the P85D insane (Tesla Model S - Wikipedia). This number almost certainly includes the 1-foot rollout, so the true 0-60 is probably very close to 3.3, which is what I measured. Ludicrous shortens it to 2.8 (with rollout). The 0-60 numbers sometimes do not reflect the exhilaration caused by very high torque, so describing how long the car can accelerate at the tires' traction limit can be more descriptive. :)

• Informative x 2
  4. ben.krasnow

ben.krasnow Member

Wikipedia says 3.1 seconds 0-60 for the P85D insane (Tesla Model S - Wikipedia). This number almost certainly includes the 1-foot rollout, so the true 0-60 is probably very close to 3.3, which is what I measured. Ludicrous shortens it to 2.8 (with rollout). The 0-60 numbers sometimes do not reflect the exhilaration caused by very high torque, so describing how long the car can accelerate at the tires' traction limit can be more descriptive. :)

5. LVSP85D

LVSP85D Member

Any comparison between p85dl with p100dl?

6. ben.krasnow

ben.krasnow Member

I don't have access to a P85DL, but I'm working on building a low-cost CAN bus logger that is specifically made for Tesla perf data. If it's easy to build and distribute, I can start sending them to other enthusiasts for more data collection. I believe all of the P100D's are ludicrous.

I added an acceleration trace to the P100D graph. Follow it on the left vertical axis. g's (x1000), so peak is 1.2g at very start, and maintains 1.05g until the power-limited point.

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
  7. p666d

p666d Member

Very interesting data, thanks! Concerning the part below 30mph - is there a weight difference? Does the p85d have the pano roof (the 100 doesn't appear to have it in the pic but maybe I'm seeing wrong)?

8. David99

David99 Active Member

#8 David99, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    That would be a great thing to have. Please keep us posed about your data logger

• Like x 1
  9. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

So do you think it's worth upgrading a 2015 P85D Insane to Ludicrous for $5,000 ?

10. James Anders

James Anders Member

Ben, Welcome aboard! I look forward to your comments here. Your videos are just great.

11. LVSP85D

LVSP85D Member

Absolutely.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

In case it helps, based on the pre-Ludicrous and post-Ludicrous-with-more-miles trade-in value offered by Tesla I was left with the strong impression that the $5,000 I paid for Lud was incorporated in the latter offer. In other words, it was a wash for me in the long-term financially to get the Ludicrous upgrade -- and was definitely worth it while I had the vehicle.

• Like x 1
  13. jd1008

jd1008 Member

Hi Ben.... did you run your P100D in normal Ludicrous mode (not L+). Love to see the difference is amps pulled and total KW between having L+ enabled vs "normal ludicrous."