Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D and P85D CAN bus data compared for 0-60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the chance to log some 0-60mph perf data from the CAN bus with an oscilloscope on a P85D insane, and P100D ludicrous+. Both tests were done with max battery ready and SoC at 85%. Ambient temp 50*F. 21" wheels.

P100DL+ limits to 1830A, and battery voltage sags from 390V to about 310V, giving 570KW.

P85D insane limits to 1300A with a similar battery sag, giving 403KW

Even though both cars have similar power curves for 0-30mph, the P100D is quicker. By seat-of-pants, it's actually a significant difference. P85D is about 1g of acceleration for first 1.4 sec, P100D is about 1.1g for first 1.7 sec. I can only assume this is because the gear ratio is different, or there was some other efficiency gain made in the drivetrain.

These tests do not include the "1-foot rollout" since I'm using the actual road speed as measured by the wheel speed sensors in the car, so this is a true 0-60 time, which is about 0.2sec slower than all reported and spec'd times for all cars that use 1-foot rollout.

I'll probably be tweeting/posting more data, and may soon make a youtube video on my channel, Applied Science.
Ben Krasnow on Twitter

Let me know if you have any questions, or have any suggestions for what to monitor in the CAN bus data.

Attachments

• P100D_black.jpg
    P100D_black.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Tesla comparison.jpg
    Tesla comparison.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 175
  • Tek_Tesla.jpg
    Tek_Tesla.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 153
  • P85D_0-60.jpg
    P85D_0-60.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 159
Thanks for the hard data.
I am surprised - is that 3.25 0-60 withOUT Ludicrous? Super quick ! Ludicrous certainly made a big difference to the way my car felt in that range.

Wikipedia says 3.1 seconds 0-60 for the P85D insane (Tesla Model S - Wikipedia). This number almost certainly includes the 1-foot rollout, so the true 0-60 is probably very close to 3.3, which is what I measured. Ludicrous shortens it to 2.8 (with rollout). The 0-60 numbers sometimes do not reflect the exhilaration caused by very high torque, so describing how long the car can accelerate at the tires' traction limit can be more descriptive. :)

Thanks for the hard data.
I am surprised - is that 3.25 0-60 withOUT Ludicrous? Super quick ! Ludicrous certainly made a big difference to the way my car felt in that range.

Wikipedia says 3.1 seconds 0-60 for the P85D insane (Tesla Model S - Wikipedia). This number almost certainly includes the 1-foot rollout, so the true 0-60 is probably very close to 3.3, which is what I measured. Ludicrous shortens it to 2.8 (with rollout). The 0-60 numbers sometimes do not reflect the exhilaration caused by very high torque, so describing how long the car can accelerate at the tires' traction limit can be more descriptive. :)

I don't have access to a P85DL, but I'm working on building a low-cost CAN bus logger that is specifically made for Tesla perf data. If it's easy to build and distribute, I can start sending them to other enthusiasts for more data collection. I believe all of the P100D's are ludicrous.

I added an acceleration trace to the P100D graph. Follow it on the left vertical axis. g's (x1000), so peak is 1.2g at very start, and maintains 1.05g until the power-limited point.

Attachments

• P100D_with_acc.jpg
    P100D_with_acc.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 129
I don't have access to a P85DL, but I'm working on building a low-cost CAN bus logger that is specifically made for Tesla perf data. If it's easy to build and distribute, I can start sending them to other enthusiasts for more data collection.

That would be a great thing to have. Please keep us posed about your data logger

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
So do you think it's worth upgrading a 2015 P85D Insane to Ludicrous for $5,000 ?
In case it helps, based on the pre-Ludicrous and post-Ludicrous-with-more-miles trade-in value offered by Tesla I was left with the strong impression that the $5,000 I paid for Lud was incorporated in the latter offer. In other words, it was a wash for me in the long-term financially to get the Ludicrous upgrade -- and was definitely worth it while I had the vehicle.

Reactions: davidc18