Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Battery Upgrade Scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean mean currently. Elon Musk was very clear on the P90DL launch that the although you could upgrade to the 90 battery he recommended you wait for a larger jump and since he was just quoted as saying the 100 is it for a long while, he and Tesla would be going back on their word if the P85D isn't eventually eligible for the upgrade. The V1 P90DL and P85DL have no differences in the cooling systems so it can only be because the 100 battery is going to be a limited commodity for a while.

Intriguing.

I think I'll take a wait and see approach.

Hopefully at some point it does come down to the P85D.

Talked with Service in Indy about the upgrade. They expect it would be a multiday job and a loaner vehicle would be provided during the upgrade. Unfortunately it is not expected to be available until early 2017. They did confirm that the retrofitted 100 kWh option with new battery and wiring harness would perform the same as a factory built 100 kWh car.

The long wait is disappointing but at least it will give us time to see the performance of the 100 kWh cars. They appear to be emphasizing the 45-65 mph performance of 1.2 seconds. Anyone know what the V1 and V2 battery versions of the P90DL is running for 45-65 mph? I wonder if the extra 0.3 seconds reduction in 0-60 is occurring mostly in the later half.

Might be able to Vbox it tonight or this weekend and report back on 45-65mph on the V2 battery...

Like it or not, we're in a never-ending game of "Leap Frog".
I have a bussiness idea for Tesla: Offer up a "TopOfTheLine Subscription" for say prepaid 150k a year.
You are guaranteed to get new top-of-the-line model everytime it comes out. If that be three times a year, you get three new cars for those 150k, if there is only one increment at say 100k you 'lost' some money but gained the comfort of the mind always having the best there is.

How many takers would be there? 10.000? :)

From what I know it definitely handles the weight better as the Air Springs can adjust based on the load and suspension sensors to keep the car level. The air suspension also comes with stiffer/thicker anti roll bars amongst other changes.
Not true. No sports car enthusiast chooses air (any Mercedes drivers?). Tesla increasingly refuses to use coil. Their choice. It is much better for future repair revenue, perhaps. Sad, however, from a driver's perspective like the increasing dependence on touch screens, single drive modes, etc. Performance?

Coil rolls more, in part because Tesla leaves it equal to the High SAS setting. So, kind of a delivered disadvantage to put roll center up (aesthetic bummer, too). Sway bar diameters went equal, after about 3 months P85D production. My P85D coil did come with a lower front, and the invite is open for a New England P85D owner to "comparo".

Sort of ranting a bit. Sorry.

Not true. No sports car enthusiast chooses air (any Mercedes drivers?). Tesla increasingly refuses to use coil.
If you are a real sportscar enthusiast would you buy a heavy Tesla for an only car? Model S competes in a league of heavy, luxury ubersedans/wagons that can kick some supercar butt (Porsche Panamera, RS7, M5 E63 AMG). But you cant compete in this class without air suspension. Tesla is bought for its tech, coil isnt tech. Just my thoughts on this. I used to by hardcore sportscars, but with kids I want power when I am alone and comfort, when with family. I come from a Panamera Turbo, but 911's before kids.

I should have specified "not true" to air being better suited to sport driving. It does, AFAIK, push air to the loaded side, to keep it flat (which makes it harder to judge when adhesion limits near).

Sure, I would buy a heavy Tesla coil car, for touring. I have bought three, and one air car. But the idea SAS is a must as the challenge goes up is pretty silly. SAS puts more between you and the road. How does anybody think it makes a Tesla more capable? I have been a PCA instructor for 20 years, and am very comfortable with body roll., sidewall flex and that stuff. I bet it isn't too hard to learn to drive through air in your suspension. My input can be summed up by "why?". Coil seems better suited to putting the car within inches of where I want it.

It does, AFAIK, push air to the loaded side, to keep it flat (which makes it harder to judge when adhesion limits near).
I don't think pneumatic springs can keep up with body roll. Even the high pressure hydraulic suspensions have trouble keeping up in a slalom course.
On the tesla they help because you can lower the c.g. at high speeds and still have good clearance for speed bumps and steep driveways. With coils it's a compromise.

Reactions: sorka and KIP1