Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D delivered next week. Esthetics, accessories, wheels and more questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My RMC P100D is scheduled for delivery in Montreal (Canada) next week. I've been reading this forum quite a bit these past few weeks and I still have a few questions for current owners (of any Model S). Feel free to answer one of many questions. =)

1- 3M (new) pro-series film and Opti-Coat Pro+. The (apparently reputable) local installer says he puts a layer of Opti-Coat UNDER the film, then another one ABOVE the film. Anyone has experience with this setup? Does it even make sense...?

2- Suggestion for washing the car after Opti-Coat Pro+?

3- Opti-Glass Pro? Worth it? Would you apply it on the full glass roof as well?

4- Rial Lugano as winter wheels? I've read a catastrophic review on this forum about the Luganos being fragile/prone to damage from potholes... someone broke his 4 rims within weeks. And Montreal is notorious for its numerous and large potholes... I've also read about problems when going reverse with the Rials. Should I stick to the base Slipstreams?

5- Opinion needed here about summer wheels: Silver or gray Turbines on a Red multicoat P100D? Pre-refresh RMC worked well with the gray wheels as it matched the trim under side doors and rear bumper, as well as the fake "front grille". Newer MS trim is painted all red. I'm leaning towards silver Turbines.

6- Bridgestone LM-60 winter tires. They're not suggested for Tesla (load factor) but they're the right size 245/45/19. Some people have used them. Would you still use them on the Tesla?

7- Tires at Costco? Do you trust them with your tires (and save $ since they swap them for free)? Or you always (over)pay the service center to do it?

8- Launch mode: Obviously, won't use it until summer. Does the restriction apply to P100D or only P90D?

9- XM: no XM for me as I went with the full glass roof. I'll miss it... a bit. Just being curious here: does it even exist as aftermarket equipment?

10- Winter mats: Maxpider Kagu vs Maxpider classic vs Tesla winter mats? Interior is all black.

Thank you all.

1) No OptiCoat UNDER any wrap/film, but, YES, on top.
2) I wash an OptiCoat Pro coated car at a commercial touchless car wash--no issues.
3) Yes to Opti Glass--really sheds water without the chatter of Rain-X.
4) No expertise.
5) Your choice-I have a 2013 multi-coat red (one of the first) with the original 19" 10-spoke silver wheels. Works for me.
6) No expertise.
7) Costco (or any good tire shop) is fine for tires--no need to go to a Tesla SC. Me, I go to Americas Tire/Discount Tire.
8) Search the threads--way too much info on Launch Mode and restrictions.
9) Internet radio is more than fine unless you have a specific artist/program you must listen to only on Sirius XM.
10) No expertise.

Enjoy!

I originally wanted those wheels, but after information on this forum, I found that most service centers will not touch your wheels or tires if they are not OEM. You can acquire take "offs" from owners that switch to different wheels, and then you would have wheels and tires that are OEM for about the same money. At least for the wheels.

1. Ask him why. Is he trying to achieve a higher gloss? Does it make for an easier or longer lasting wrap installation?
2. Putting Modesta on mine but don't have it done yet.
3. Going with CQuartz Forte but don't have it done yet.
4. I don't know those wheels but if they're sensitive to potholes then the question is: do you normally hit potholes? If so, you've answered your own question.
5. Silver probably makes more sense if you're leaving the chrome on
6. Haven't used them and wouldn't if the weight rating isn't appropriate.
7. The brand of tire is what is important. I ordered 2 off Amazon and 2 on a tire website. As long as Costco installs with tools that don't damage your wheel then you're good to go.
8. Consensus from the peak performance thread stated the launch mode restriction does not apply to P100Ds, however, it still states the limitation in the manual.
9. If possible, it would probably require an external antenna. o_O
10. I'm happy with the Tesla branded WeatherTechs but haven't seen or tried the Maxpiders.

Thanks for answering.

1- Will get back to you. This is unusual.
2- Wondering if these coatings get damaged when one scrapes the windows to remove ice/snow during winter.
5- Yeah I'm leaving the chrome on it.
6- Anybody used the LM-60? I've seen it mentionned quite a few times on the forum but no actual review.
7- Ok will have the tires installed at costco.
9- Probably near impossible but maybe not impossible... anyone with expertise?

Feel free to share your opinions on those 10 topics/questions :)

#9 - Yes there are aftermarket SiriusXM tuners that send a signal on an unused FM band to your Tesla receiver. The antenna can be mounted outside the car or inside (like those GPS ones used for dash cams). You will likely not be pleased with the results you get from this kind of set-up. I've had this in a previous car and the built-in function in the MS is far better.

4- Rial Lugano as winter wheels? I've read a catastrophic review on this forum about the Luganos being fragile/prone to damage from potholes... someone broke his 4 rims within weeks. And Montreal is notorious for its numerous and large potholes... I've also read about problems when going reverse with the Rials. Should I stick to the base Slipstreams?

5- Opinion needed here about summer wheels: Silver or gray Turbines on a Red multicoat P100D? Pre-refresh RMC worked well with the gray wheels as it matched the trim under side doors and rear bumper, as well as the fake "front grille". Newer MS trim is painted all red. I'm leaning towards silver Turbines.

4- We offer our 19" TST Wheels as an alternative to 19" OEM wheels. We also offer the 19" TST Wheel and Tire Packages.
Wheel: TST
Size: 19x8.5" front & rear
Finish: Metallic Grey / Brilliant Silver
Other: Uses factory lug nuts, accepts factory center cap, uses original TPMS.

5- Here are photos of Red Model S with 19" Gray and Silver TSTs.

red-multicoat-tesla-model-s-19-inch-wheel-tst-metallic-grey-2.jpg
red-multicoat-tesla-model-s-19-inch-wheel-tst-brilliant-silver-4.jpg

Everything I have read says all coating and was should be stripped before paint protection film. From my research xpel and suntek films are the best.

You won't want XM once you use the internet radio (I don't think)

I have always had good luck woth Costco and tires. As long as you have a lift the process on a Tesla is no different than any other car.

The silver turbines look fantastic on the red facelift car.

For winter wheels I would find some take off 19" factory turbines. They are a nice looking wheel and I have seen some good deals in the for sale section.

Enjoy the car.

No coating under the film.
Opticoat Pro is a bit tacky to the touch (I have it) but still very little sticks to it. So use some G-Techniq C2V3 diluted with water - 6 parts water to 1 part C2V3 to enhance the slickness.
My primary concern with Costco installing tires is that that may not lift the car correctly or tighten the lug nuts correctly. Lifting incorrectly is a good way to damage the battery pack. And the lug nut torque spec is 129 ft-lbs vs. 80 for most cars. When I had my tires changed by a non-Tesla store, I printed out 2 pages of instructions and left them in the car along with a dozen homemade cookies. Both were gone when I picked the car up.

@ LoL Rick
This is exactly my concern with Costco...

@ TSportline: any report of rubbing with winter tires when turning on reverse? This has been reported even with the stock slipstreams and X-Ice tires.

@ George: thanks for your advice! will try internet radio!

About Opticoat Pro+ under 3M... I'm quite puzzled as the local shop is a big one that has done numerous (dozens) Teslas, and deals with just every luxury car out there. The owner is super knowledgeable and he assures me that the result is great.

4- Winter duty wheels we went with 19" VMR aftermarket on our P85D and have been very pleased so far. More details and pix in my thread from last fall:
New Lighterweight 19" Wheel Option

As noted by others, be aware that your local service center may give you push back about aftermarket wheels, a non issue for us.

6- Winter tire selection- Warning, with a car this heavy and powerful be a good citizen and don't skimp on tire or wheel load ratings. Winter time with dicey road conditions is the worst time to have catastrophic tire failure just because you forgot to ask who of your rear seat passengers had an extra slice of birthday cake that night....

10- Winter mats- very pleased with Kangu (carpeted) classics so far this winter. Not a big fan of faux carbon fiber appearance with the Kangu rubber, I prefer my mats to be as functional and invisible as possible. We have had WeatherTechs with a previous car and were not happy with the product, too slippery, loud and poor fit once curling started.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nosken
My RMC P100D is scheduled for delivery in Montreal (Canada) next week. I've been reading this forum quite a bit these past few weeks and I still have a few questions for current owners (of any Model S). Feel free to answer one of many questions. =)

1- 3M (new) pro-series film and Opti-Coat Pro+. The (apparently reputable) local installer says he puts a layer of Opti-Coat UNDER the film, then another one ABOVE the film. Anyone has experience with this setup? Does it even make sense...?

2- Suggestion for washing the car after Opti-Coat Pro+?

3- Opti-Glass Pro? Worth it? Would you apply it on the full glass roof as well?

6- Bridgestone LM-60 winter tires. They're not suggested for Tesla (load factor) but they're the right size 245/45/19. Some people have used them. Would you still use them on the Tesla?

7- Tires at Costco? Do you trust them with your tires (and save $ since they swap them for free)? Or you always (over)pay the service center to do it?

8- Launch mode: Obviously, won't use it until summer. Does the restriction apply to P100D or only P90D?

9- XM: no XM for me as I went with the full glass roof. I'll miss it... a bit. Just being curious here: does it even exist as aftermarket equipment?

10- Winter mats: Maxpider Kagu vs Maxpider classic vs Tesla winter mats? Interior is all black.

Thank you all.
Couple of Suggestions:
1) Highly recommend a Dashcam; saved me lots of trouble while negotiating with the Insurance Company to prove their insured was at fault after an accident; Repair Bill was in excess of USD 20,000. Wonder what it would have done to my own insurance premium had I not had the Dashcam. I personally use dual channel Blackvue 650. Well worth USD 500 or whatever it costs now; and

2) your question about XM: Bigger question IMHO is the sound quality not just XM. XM to my knowledge is only included if you opt for High Fidelity Sound package.

Hope it helps.