Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Delivery Disaster, trying to resolve it with Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understandable and I would probably think it was an exaggeration as well if I were in your shoes. I mean hell when I called my best friend right after they took it off the flatbed he said "It can't be that bad". Then he drove over and said "Holy S***". Jon is going to get the pictures and he is really the only one that needs to believe me.

Then why are you here? I can't be the only one that finds this awfully suspicious... I can't think of a single instance where someone flat refused to provide a picture, especially if it is as bad as you say it is...

Jeff

Then why are you here? I can't be the only one that finds this awfully suspicious... I can't think of a single instance where someone flat refused to provide a picture, especially if it is as bad as you say it is...

Jeff
Like I said in my first post I'm came here to try to get to someone at Tesla that could try to rectify my situation and thanks to some very helpful members I was able to do that. I have also explained numerous times why pictures here wouldn't really do me any good.

@Jimenezr34 .. there are plenty of tesla fanboys that will defend tesla for anything, and plenty of tesla naysayers that will punch tesla for anything. I'm at my 2 year ownership mark, I can't say things are "perfect" but I love driving my tesla, and whenever tesla sees growing pains, they address the issues. I wish you a long and happy tesla ownership experience. Do post pictures of your car when you are fully satisfied.

@Jimenezr34 .. there are plenty of tesla fanboys that will defend tesla for anything, and plenty of tesla naysayers that will punch tesla for anything. I'm at my 2 year ownership mark, I can't say things are "perfect" but I love driving my tesla, and whenever tesla sees growing pains, they address the issues. I wish you a long and happy tesla ownership experience. Do post pictures of your car when you are fully satisfied.

Thanks, I look forward to a long happy Tesla ownership as well. I can't remember looking forward to driving very many cars as much as this one.

BMW makes you do it, when you order new from overseas so you take the import tax hit. Insuring a car that you registered is the law in California, perhaps other places as well, who knows.

Shipping to house is normal too, i think its one of those "you want this shipped to your house or you wanna come get it" kinda questions. But we've seen home deliveries here plenty.

Yeah paint swirls would be cool to see, but we already know that Tesla paint is literal dogshit due to California low VOC laws... Shitty low VOC paint -> meet long haul open air truck ride :(
That has not been my experience. I've done factory orders from Audi and BMW, including European delivery at the factory in Germany, and in no case did I have to pay for the car before I took physical possession. Nor did I ever have to pay import taxes (other than whatever is embedded in the car's price).

Also, while people do often have problems with paint on their Teslas, it's almost always due to poor paint prep, not a function of the paint composition. Do you really think the EU has less stringent rules on the subject? Also, it doesn't matter how many chemicals paint is full of, it is not going to stand up to improper use of a DA buffer.

I've bought 3 Teslas now and 1) have never been asked to pay for it before delivery, including the first delivery which was a home delivery, and 2) had excellent paint on all 3. The OP should have had the same experience and I hope Tesla makes it right for them.

Reactions: sdorn and jaguar36
Yes they told me I had to get insurance and do all paperwork and that was before I got it. Shipping was from California to the service center in Orlando where it was prepped and then taken on a flat bed to me.

I've seen a number of posts by owners describing basically this and people being skeptical about signing and arranging for car payments before delivery. Our car just had to go across the bay for delivery to a service center but even then we were concerned about any damage during transport; relieved all the same to find it looked great. We picked up mid-March so didn't feel the pressure of filling out the quarter.

I feel bad for what you have had to go through. Ordering a car that you've been anxiously waiting to drive and having it arrived damaged, well it's just a bad scenario. As far as the titling issues, which are real, there was an owner in Canada as I recall posting here who took delivery and then a few days later saw a hole in the metal of one of the A pillars. Documentation had already been completed and submitted. Tesla did get it resolved with them, although I think all the paperwork took a while, and the owner was happy to report back at some point that they were very happy with their new car. So I'm sure there is light at the end of the tunnel for you too. Hope your wait isn't too long and please come back and post a photo of your new car.

This makes sense. Although according to Generally Accepted Accounting Practices, I don't think it was the advance payment, but rather that the OP took title, insurance, etc, that allowed Tesla to recognize the sale. Perhaps it also enable the local team to get a Q2 bonus?

Don't let the short sellers hear about this. ;-)

I assume the lending institution got to book it in the quarter too. It's not just Tesla here that hopes to meet or exceed quarterly numbers, all the car manufactures have the same pressure.

Reactions: P100DHG.
The consumer of a $170,000 car has the right to be picky and it sounds like @Jimenezr34 is being very reasonable and hasn't crossed the line to picky yet, he's still trying to work out general issues. Don't know why the community is so hostile it's not a Chevy Sonic for $17,000 it's a $170,000 and paint quality on a car of that dollar value should be impeccable and it's part of what you're paying for.

An anology for anyone who owns a home either new or previously owned that it is common in their buyers inspection to find issues and either asked for resolution or for credits. Well $170,000 is a home in most states and it should be delivered in an acceptable condition. At $2000 a month that's a mortgage don't be so quick to criticize the OP.

@jeffro01 23% of your feedback is rated disagree. It makes me question the credibility of your posts. Your posts in this thread seem inflammatory and counter productive.

In situations like this it would be nice to think that the local service manager, who saw the condition of the car when it was delivered to them and knew there was a titling issue on the replacement vehicle, would have been the one running this up to Jon for example to make sure OP got taken care of somehow other than feeling so frustrated that he had to look to the legal route and post here. QC of the cars in general and better handling of issues like this one are definitely areas that Tesla needs more of their people involved in. I can't help but feel badly for those receiving a new car that has some substantial issues. We love our car and hope to never know what it feels like to be on the other side of that exciting delivery time when smiles disappear. Tesla is in a position to have lifelong owners of its vehicles. Also sounds like some prep guys may either need retraining or being replaced. Swirls on a new car or even one taken in for service and then cleaned just shouldn't be happening.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
The whole business of paying for, titling, and insuring cars with Tesla is really weird. You have people paying in advance and me paying for it 3 days after delivery. The Tesla rep gave me the fob without me signing anything except the license plate application. We were in a bar parking lot at the Kawaihae harbor. Someone at Tesla needs to organize this stuff

• Helpful
Pro Tip: Add Jeffro01 to your ignore list. He's one on a short list of people's who attack anyone that is trying to get help with an issue. You'll be blissfully unaware of their posts and the weather in your area will seem better, sunshine brighter, etc.

Cheers and happy to see this is heading in the right direction.

That's simply not true at all. Don't tell lies about people in order to further your own ignorance. I call it like I see it and if you don't like it, you are right, you can simply hit ignore. Telling outright lies about other members though doesn't really help your cause either... You've been an anti-Tesla troll since the moment you got here yet somehow that gives you the impression you have the high road???

Right...

Jeff

...she told me they could no longer take it back. I told her that they registered it in late June when I ordered it (no idea how she nor any of the managers at the service center didn’t know that if that is their process for new car delivery)...

There seems to be a break down in company's procedure.

I think Tesla should not file the car Title and other DMV paperwork in the name of a new owner until that owner has a chance to inspect it and all Quality Issues could be mutually agreed.

Quality Assurance issues will statistically pop up again and again so this won't be a first time nor a last time.

Such a presumption in the DMV/Titling procedure without the consent of a new owner is not sustainable.

• Helpful
The consumer of a $170,000 car has the right to be picky and it sounds like @Jimenezr34 is being very reasonable and hasn't crossed the line to picky yet, he's still trying to work out general issues. Don't know why the community is so hostile it's not a Chevy Sonic for $17,000 it's a $170,000 and paint quality on a car of that dollar value should be impeccable and it's part of what you're paying for.

An anology for anyone who owns a home either new or previously owned that it is common in their buyers inspection to find issues and either asked for resolution or for credits. Well $170,000 is a home in most states and it should be delivered in an acceptable condition. At $2000 a month that's a mortgage don't be so quick to criticize the OP.

@jeffro01 23% of your feedback is rated disagree. It makes me question the credibility of your posts. Your posts in this thread seem inflammatory and counter productive.

Question my credibility all you want, I honestly couldn't possibly care less. You know why many of my posts are marked by various members as disagree? Because I call it like I see it and that sort of brutal honesty is now frowned upon these days. If you don't like it then you have the same cowardly recourse as other members, click ignore. Yes, I find hitting the ignore button to be a cowardly thing to do.

Furthermore, without pictures there is absolutely zero proof of anything... Given the history of this forum I'm surprised at some of the long time members here being so completely willing to buy anything they read...

Jeff

Let's put it to bed folks. The OP got what he needed. A hand up to someone that can help solve his issues. Remember we were all new once to this great earth and had to figure it all out. I doubt the OP would want to reach out to Jon etc... if there was not a serious issue. I am waiting for some awesome pics of that new P100D on delivery day so we can all smile.

I wasn't aware credibility was so important in cyber space... I'm actually not even sure why anyone is even using that word here...

In any case, not all of my posts are negative but naturally people focus on that rather than the positive. I get it. That's fine. Apparently many of you have also missed my other posts regarding my posting style, etc... I get it. That's fine as well.

Call it what you will. Again, I couldn't possibly care less.

Jeff
This explains a lot. If you prefer that your posts be useless to those who read them, I won't waste my time any more. I'll just put you on ignore. Bye!

This explains a lot. If you prefer that your posts be useless to those who read them, I won't waste my time any more. I'll just put you on ignore. Bye!

Not sure how you got that from my post but whatever... Go retreat to your safe space if it makes you feel better... Awful lot of that going on around here these days... To think, I thought save spaces were only for college kids...

Jeff

16iefzs.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Sir Guacamolaf
Also, while people do often have problems with paint on their Teslas, it's almost always due to poor paint prep, not a function of the paint composition. Do you really think the EU has less stringent rules on the subject? Also, it doesn't matter how many chemicals paint is full of, it is not going to stand up to improper use of a DA buffer.

True about the DA, I ruined my first boats clearcoat like that, live and learn.

However, if you can point me to another MFG who uses low VOC paint in their production paint line, I'll happily stand corrected on the issue. California, for instance, banned the import of plasti-dip until they formulated a low-VOC version, which demonstrably sucks. I'm all about trying to reduce footprint, but the car's paint is soft and crappy and they skimp on clearcoat. It is what it is...

• Helpful