Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D - Drive Unit Needs Service - Avoid Hard Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, UK owner of a P100D here. I got the car less than 4 months ago, have done ~4000 miles in it and recently got this warning on the dash:

Drive Unit Needs Service
Avoid Hard Acceleration

I have done some searching and found a similar thread but related to batteries here:
P90DL battery replacement thread.

The warning came up when I was mid-way through an overtake, so accelerator fully pressed.

Anyone know what this may mean?

I would say this may mean your drive unit needs serviced, and until it is I would avoid hard acceleration.
Hah... Badly phrased question on my part.

Does this happen often, have others experienced it?

Linked to anything in particular like making use of all the performance frequently, launch mode, etc?

Does it mean a simple tweak in service or a drive unit replacement? How long is the car likely to be in for?

Is it more likely to be inverter or motor?

Any colour anyone who's experienced this can add would be appreciated.

Hah... Badly phrased question on my part.

Does this happen often, have others experienced it?

Linked to anything in particular like making use of all the performance frequently, launch mode, etc?

Does it mean a simple tweak in service or a drive unit replacement? How long is the car likely to be in for?

Is it more likely to be inverter or motor?

Any colour anyone who's experienced this can add would be appreciated.

Pretty sure the majority of us are unqualified to answer your questions or have not seen your problem.

You need to reach out to a service center first if you have not already (if not, why not?)

Hope someone replies and can help.

Hi guys, UK owner of a P100D here. I got the car less than 4 months ago, have done ~4000 miles in it and recently got this warning on the dash:

Drive Unit Needs Service
Avoid Hard Acceleration

I have done some searching and found a similar thread but related to batteries here:
P90DL battery replacement thread.

The warning came up when I was mid-way through an overtake, so accelerator fully pressed.

Anyone know what this may mean?

Hopefully it was just the warning message that came on and no reduction in power though, right?

• Funny
Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Hah :)

What seems odd to me is if hard acceleration would be detrimental, why the car wouldn't limit that itself. Lots of ICE cars have a 'limp home mode' if something isn't right with the drivetrain but it can still run.

It may have already and just added the awareness warning for service. From what I've read, the power can be permanently reduced in select situations including excessive Luda launches. Not much data captured on the P100D yet, so very interested in your outcome. Are you familiar with this thread? Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits Some very good info once you navigate the noise.

One of those teslatool apps would probably detect restricted power pretty quickly......but you need to get it serviced regardless. Keep us posted.

I've done a handful of max battery power, ludicrous+ launches with full soc... Less than 5. I think 2, but might have been 3.

I regularly push the pedal to the floor in normal driving, joining motorways, overtakes, etc.

My friend has a 2 month old P100D, 2k miles, got this message. He drives aggressively but not crazy AFAIK. When I've ridden in it, I notice pretty severe vibration when he floors it. New motor has been ordered, and this is the second time his X will have been taken away on a flatbed for service.