Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Easter Egg ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much this. While there are a few (very few) P90DL cars that put up a sub 11 second 1/4 mile time, the reality is that the vast majority of those who tried were not able to prove out the original performance claims. Tesla suffered some reputation capital on ownership forums, such as this one.

The reality is that both the P90DL and the P100D are huge marketing wins for the company. Marketing departments never deal with reality.
The ones that swapped a 90 for a 100 were the ones that had a sub-11 P90DL already. At least the ones I'm aware of.
And yes, if you look at the lower spec ever supplied to the next new spec, the gaps are larger. See how much the earlier S's improved with software alone.
I sincerely would like to know WHY the performance bump from the latest 90 to the first 100 is so tiny. Despite the range being so much better. Way beyond the 11.1% one would expect nominally.

The ones that swapped a 90 for a 100 were the ones that had a sub-11 P90DL already. At least the ones I'm aware of.
And yes, if you look at the lower spec ever supplied to the next new spec, the gaps are larger. See how much the earlier S's improved with software alone.
I sincerely would like to know WHY the performance bump from the latest 90 to the first 100 is so tiny. Despite the range being so much better. Way beyond the 11.1% one would expect nominally.

The individuals who made the jump have their own reasons, and that's OK.

There are a few reasons why there was only a .1-.3 drop in times.

1) There was no increase in voltage with the added cells. The power increase was from added capacity only. This added capacity reduces voltage sag thus increasing power output. I am not a battery expert so maybe someone with actual knowledge of batteries will chime in and confirm/correct.

2) Regarding 0-60 times. Taken out of context, 0.3 seconds would seem like a minor improvement. In reality, any improvement when you are already under 3 seconds is significant. Dropping from 2.8 to 2.5 represents an improvement of 11%. If you apply this increase to a 6 second time then you would have 5.3 seconds which is roughly the difference between a v6 Mustang an a V8 Mustang GT.

Why the .1 improvement in the 1/4 mile has a lot to do with 1/4 mile racing and is a completely different argument.

and while I've started ranting again: Every now and then buying the 100 pack upgrade crosses my mind. But then I think of all the reasons I don't know about how I will be disappointed with my purchase. I might as well pull $21k from the bank in singles, grab a nice scotch, and spend the evening watching ....

Nice recovery.

When I saw the part about taking out 21,000 one dollar bills and grabbing a scotch, I thought you were talking about heading to the strip club.

Last edited:
Pretty much this. While there are a few (very few) P90DL cars that put up a sub 11 second 1/4 mile time, the reality is that the vast majority of those who tried were not able to prove out the original performance claims. Tesla suffered some reputation capital on ownership forums, such as this one.

The reality is that both the P90DL and the P100D are huge marketing wins for the company. Marketing departments never deal with reality.

Yes, in bold I'd agree that is the reality.

However the part in italics is curious.

If "reality" has any relationship to the "bottom line", and I can't see how it wouldn't, well then "marketing", has every bit to do with "reality".

Despite whatever "loss of reputation capital" there may have been on this or any other ownership forum, the P90D with Ludicrous and the P100D Ludicrous would seem to be huge marketing wins for Tesla.

I pointed the following out earlier.

Tesla continues to sell cars at an impressive clip, continues to make money, despite whatever "reputation capital loss" they may have suffered amongst a handful of folks in here.

To wit, at or around the same time of whatever "amount" of "reputation capital" may have been in the process of being "lost", on this or the sister Tesla ownership message board with regard to P90DL, Tesla was busy raising nearly three quarters of a billion dollars, one thousand dollars at a time, in Model 3 reservations.

Indeed, loss of "reputation capital" in here, hasn't even resulted in them so much as breaking stride in their efforts. Arguably, if anything, the pace has picked up.

So yes I'd definitely agree that the P90D with Ludicrous has been a resounding marketing success and the P100DL which followed it.

And I continue to be immensely happy that much of what is said in here appears to have little effect on Tesla's ability to continue to thrive and forge ahead.

If it did, they would have gone under by now.

Last edited:
Yes, in bold I'd agree that is the reality.

However the part in italics is curious.

If "reality" has any relationship to the "bottom line", and I can't see how it wouldn't, well then "marketing", has every bit to do with "reality".

Despite whatever "loss of reputation capital" there may have been on this or any other ownership forum, the P90D with Ludicrous and the P100D Ludicrous would seem to be huge marketing wins for Tesla.

I pointed the following out earlier.

Tesla continues to sell cars at an impressive clip, continues to make money, despite whatever "reputation capital loss" they may have suffered amongst a handful of folks in here.

To wit, at or around the same time of whatever "amount" of "reputation capital" may have been in the process of being "lost", on this or the sister Tesla ownership message board with regard to P90DL, Tesla was busy raising nearly three quarters of a billion dollars, one thousand dollars at a time, in Model 3 reservations.

Indeed, loss of "reputation capital" in here, hasn't even resulted in them so much as breaking stride in their efforts. Arguably, if anything, the pace has picked up.

So yes I'd definitely agree that the P90D with Ludicrous has been a resounding marketing success and the P100DL which followed it.

And I continue to be immensely happy that much of what is said in here appears to have little effect on Tesla's ability to continue to thrive and forge ahead.

If it did, they would have gone under by now.

I tried to read this post several times and keep getting lost.

Reactions: NSX1992
I'd just like to add that I do not believe that anyone has upgraded from a refreshed P90DL to the P100D yet. I took delivery first week of June of the refreshed P90D, one of the first off the line, and scheduled an upgrade to the P100D about two hours after Elon announced it, and got the confirmation email from Tesla that I was in the queue for the upgrade. That was I believe back in August, and three times now I have checked with my DS and/or Tesla direct and they give me the same answer: Late January/Early February

good deflection there...
but we are talking about denying facts
you are entitled to your opinion but you are not entitled to your own facts

If you are saying that Tesla's behavior is not a problem for you, I understand that. Some people are good with this type of behavior and some are not. If you are saying it is not happening, well that is simply another matter.

Reactions: NSX1992
good deflection there...
but we are talking about denying facts
you are entitled to your opinion but you are not entitled to your own facts

If you are saying that Tesla's behavior is not a problem for you, I understand that. Some people are good with this type of behavior and some are not. If you are saying it is not happening, well that is simply another matter.

Irrespective of just who in here is "good with" Tesla's "behavior" and decisions, and indeed irrespective of who in here wishes to argue whether this or that is, or "is not" happening, at the end of the day, the negative commentary from some of our members such as yourself, does not appear to have any significant negative effect on Tesla.

And as a one who is enthusiastic about Tesla, I am immensely pleased to see that the effects of "whines" of those members such as yourself , do not cause the damage, or proverbial hangover, that they otherwise could were anyone much further than outside of here, to actually pay any attention to them or take them seriously.

Go ahead and keep going with your whining. The effect seems to be the equivalent of urinating into a strong wind.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: msnow and NSX1992
IMG_1764.JPG