Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Energy usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear all

I just swapped my car from the 90D to the new P100D. Between charges (90% max) Im getting only 100 miles, compared to my 90D, which used to get about 150 miles.

The roads are usual commute routes so not different in the respective vehicles, slight incline, city driving.

Just observed my car over 3 scenerios;

1) heavy footed getting an average of 550 Wh/mi.

2) carefull driving, i.e I feather touch the accelerator, I get 360Wh/mi.

3) normal driving acceleration with the traffic, i get about 450 Wh/mi

Ive attached my energy graph, wondering if anyone else has similar experiances

I want to know what do others get from their p100D? If you could kindly share your experiences and energy graph, much appreciated.
IMG_20200123_081216.jpg
IMG_20200123_082203.jpg
IMG_20200123_081147.jpg

My lifetime average wh/mile on my P85DL is 302 with daily Ludicrous launches. That's average because in the summer it's more like 280 and in the winter 320.

The only thing I can imagine that would be killing your range that much would be really off wheel alignment.

Use of the HVAC when traveling slow is a real killer to range as its energy consumption cannot be "amortized'" across a greater distance and therefore it proportionally takes up more energy per mile than it would at highway speeds.

Using a service like TeslaFi is also a good way to track your energy usage across different scenarios (average speed, changing elevations, temperature swings, HVAC use, and battery heater use).

I believe it was manafactured in September 2019, got it as ex demo. I dont think this is the Raven... Not sure.

I'm fairly certain the P100D was no longer being produced at that time. I bought an inventory P100D built in April 2019 (purchased in June 2019) because I was uncertain if the custom builds would be delivered by the end of June, and custom builds were the "Raven" vehicles at that time.

If it is a P100D, it will have that badging on the back (and on the doorsills). There should also be a build date on a sticker on the inside of the driver side door.

Both cars have the 19 inch. Heavier battery and performance motor, I can account for. 20% maybe max 25% but this is 50% which is too much. Some of teslas people also are clueless, telephone service advisor says it's normal for my type car, the manager of the branch I bought it from says it's not normal at all, should get 200. My boss who has the x performance says 180 is what he gets. Hence i am a bit lost...

Both cars have the 19 inch. Heavier battery and performance motor, I can account for. 20% maybe max 25% but this is 50% which is too much. Some of teslas people also are clueless, telephone service advisor says it's normal for my type car, the manager of the branch I bought it from says it's not normal at all, should get 200. My boss who has the x performance says 180 is what he gets. Hence i am a bit lost...

I had a 100D (19-inch wheels) for 2 years and I averaged around 300-310 wh/mile over about 30k miles. I had about half freeway and half city miles (maybe 60/40 freeway), and I typically drove 70-80mph on freeways. I also had plenty of fun with the acceleration.

I now have a P100D with 13k miles (21-inch wheels) and I'm at 347 wh/mile with even more acceleration fun.

Keep in mind I live in Southern California, where "cold" is 40-50F.

Those numbers of 200 and 180 sound like watt-hours per kilometer, not per mile.

Those numbers are miles from a full charge.

Temp seems same, is it hilly in S. Cali?

I live in a slightly hilly area in London, esp my DDs school run.

I'm not sure what "full charge" means in this context, as it's unlikely they charge to 100% and drive it down to 0%. That being said, there would be something very wrong with a 100kWh-battery vehicle (which all "Performance" models are now and all P100D models were prior to that) that regularly achieved only 180-200 miles of actual driving in the conditions you've described...or 180-200 "rated miles" after charging.

Now, if they are driving it in a more reasonable charge state, say 80-90% at most and 10-20% at the lowest, then 180-200 miles is believable and could be reasonable.

180-200 actual miles,

Now in comparision, my new p100d car gives me just over around half of that, and my Wh/mi is averaging 450, so a charge from 90% to 10% gives me about 100 to 120 miles. Moderate inclines, slow traffic, short runs, 4C to 10C and between my charges its 3 days gap, and I use preconditioning. My problem is for a charge of 90% down to 10% my 90D used to give me 150 miles, why is the performance giving me 100??