Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D for Sale Now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is it now pretty much official the 90 was a disappointment/let down in terms of range over any 85?

I get a sneaky feeling that Tesla produced this 100kWh pack out of a weakness, not from strength. Perhaps to out-do the likes of Mercedes before they come out with a decent pack size.

A whole new architecture especially of the cooling to allow more of the same cells to fit which existed basically since 2012? This has to surely be because a proper chemistry update wasn't happening? OK< we don't know how many extra cells we're dealing with here, but they make it out to be a very expensive upgrade, also to Tesla. Kind of worrisome that after 4 year we have only seen a claimed +5kWh over the 85, and that 90 was even a let down. The real upgrade in range came from the D and now a new architecture around the same cells...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Justicepool
Here are the main specs:

Model S P100D with Ludicrous mode
  • Range: 315 miles (EPA Estimate) / 613 km (NEDC Estimate)
  • 0-60 mph acceleration: 2.5 seconds
  • 0-100 km/h acceleration: 2.7 seconds
  • Price: starts at $134,500

Why is the KM so much different?
I know it seems small but 0-60mph in 2.5, but it takes 2 tenths of a second more to go 2 mph more?
100km is 62.1 mph.
The car is really accelerating at 60, so to go to 62.1 shouldn't take two tenths of a second more.

0.2 sec more to 100 km/h is correct.

Its like the 1 ft takes 0.2-0.3 sec (1 ft rollout)

So the real 0-100 km/h time is closer 2.9-3.0 sec when measured the correct way in Europe where 0-100 using 1 ft rollout cheating never is used on official manufacturer numbers.

No, scott is correct. It should only be 0.1 sec difference maximum. It's 0-60 vs 0-62. Most of the time is spent getting the car up to speed, it shouldn't take long at all to go 60-62

I posted in another thread about this. Someone mentioned it might be 2.59 vs 2.70. But even 0.11 sec is too great when the car is at speed (not traction limited) and at full power.

Note that the 2.5 is 'estimated'. So it may be 2.6 to 60 and 2.7 (0-100km/h). Or it may be 2.5 to 60 and 2.6 (0-100kmh)

Maybe tesla is being conservative with the 0-100km/h after the p85d lawsuits in europe where power was overstated. i.e. they are absolutely sure the car will do 0-100 in 2.7, but it may well do 2.6

Reactions: scott jones
Maybe a bit faster on the P100D. But on the P85D it was 0.2 sec difference between 60 mph and 100 km/h.
I haven't seen vbox dumps for the original P85D but I do know the top end power was limited on these cars. Since they updated the fuse though this hasn't been an issue.

Current p90d's are delivering sustained 500kw+ so there's no way it's 0.2sec 60-62 on current cars

Porsche 918 ... the 914 was last produced in 1976 :cool:
Porsche 918 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I got this email as did presumably everyone else with a P90D on order.

When the only car faster at a stop light is a million+ Spyder 914 or another Tesla P100D driver with better reflexes, the correct answer is "Yes."

Call me red light warrior. I don't mind. Now I can't wait till we see a new generation of Roadsters. It was one thing to compete with sportscars. When we get into hypercar territory .... oh man ... take my money. :p

It's almost like you didn't read my very next paragraph. You even took the time to cut it out of your reply! ;)

My apologies, apparently my brain edited out the middle sentence where you said exactly what I said, and left me to read only the other two where you talked about the top and bottom range. That stupid brain, always causing trouble for me....

Reactions: Gizmotoy
Just curious, If you had a P90DL ordered, and you didn't go for the 10K upgrade to 100KW, do you still get the Ludicrous mode you ordered? Since they don't seem to be offering ludicrous for the p90D anymore, wondering if you get it or they refund it.
I have the facelift p90DL, and currently don't think I'm going to upgrade, so wondering how many other p90DL's will be out there on the road with me?

It turns out my p90dl is about to go into the assembly line and it is set up with the new ventilated seats (whether I go to 100 or not). I am going to be delivered the 90 and can upgrade to the 100 for 11k. The expected 10k plus the 500 price increases on AP and premium interior package.