Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D ludicrous+ loses to Model 3?? What the??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my car in December the numbers I was given were:
MS Raven Performance; 0-60 2.4sec
M3P; 0-60 2.9sec

Your car should be updated to make it come in at 2.4. His could be 2.9. Driver error, frustration with fiddling with the screen, probably a few other variables could eat that 1/2 second real quick.

I have seen a few used MS advertised as "hacked." This probably wasn't the case though.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2101Guy and bhzmark
When I bought my car in December the numbers I was given were:
MS Raven Performance; 0-60 2.4sec
M3P; 0-60 2.9sec

Your car should be updated to make it come in at 2.4. His could be 2.9. Driver error, frustration with fiddling with the screen, probably a few other variables could eat that 1/2 second real quick.

I have seen a few used MS advertised as "hacked." This probably wasn't the case though.

m3p = 3.2 0-60

a P85DL and all subsequent Model S Perfs should leave harder than the Model 3 P. check your settings, including your ride height. Make sure on lowest setting.

I think I was at around 45%
That's why. Model 3 was probably fresh at 90% and your car was down on power. Horsepower = volts times amps and lower % = lower volts so you probably had a lot less power than he did.

My car gets really slow under 50% and won't beat anything under 25%. Your P100D should have more power than my P85+ at the same % but it will still lose power as the battery goes down and I'd probably beat you too at 45% if I had 90%.

I just ran some Dragy tests and posted them in another thread...I can get 2.8 on my 37k mile p100d and i drove my buddies M3P the other day and the S was noticeably faster...probably low SoC and the blink of any eye can have any performance EV out of your life so missing the "light" probably cost you dearly.

At our local dragstrip last summer a stealth Model 3 Performance raced my Model S Performance Ludicrous Mode (that's what OP has even though they are calling it a P100D) and while I beat him each time, it was darn close. 325 foot track, they were maybe one car length behind (if that). Reaction time could have made it go either way. I was in Ludicrous+ with battery mostly heated, but not using Launch Mode because it takes far too long to engage (lost two races trying to use it). I was impressed how fast the Model 3 Performance is!

m3p = 3.2 0-60

a P85DL and all subsequent Model S Perfs should leave harder than the Model 3 P. check your settings, including your ride height. Make sure on lowest setting.

Tesla Model 3 nails 0-60 mph in 2.9 sec after OTA software update

When I did the test drive, I was told they were 3.2 but the new update brought it to 2.9. I see on Tesla's site right now it does advertise as 3.2. I don't own an M3P so I can't tell you. Just saying what I was told and what it reads in the link above. Either way, a little hesitation and the lower charge could have done you in.

Charge it up, and go lurk that area and get your rematch :cool:

Fastest m3p 0-60 on Dragy leaderboards is 3.16 and 3.17 and those are outliers. There is a cluster in 3.2s.
Tesla Model 3 nails 0-60 mph in 2.9 sec after OTA software update

When I did the test drive, I was told they were 3.2 but the new update brought it to 2.9. I see on Tesla's site right now it does advertise as 3.2. I don't own an M3P so I can't tell you. Just saying what I was told and what it reads in the link above. Either way, a little hesitation and the lower charge could have done you in.

Charge it up, and go lurk that area and get your rematch :cool:

Hey everyone,

My first post here. I gotta say, the disappointment pushed me here to post something. I got a brand new P100DL+ and I absolutely love my car. However, No one really challenges me for a go on the road, I guess once they see the badge, they know it's over before it starts...until tonight.

A Model 3 pulls up beside me as we are in motion, maybe 50km and just pushes his car, it was fast. But I thought, ya it's a Tesla, of course it's fast. I pull up next to him and we both push it to the max...and he pulled away from me. How is that even possible?

Next, we get to a light and I'm ready, trying to engage launch mode with is harder to engage then any feature I've ever tried in my life. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It didn't work this time. Light turns green, he was gone...gone I tell you. I pushed the accelerator all the way, and of course I was fast as hell, but I couldn't catch him. Then I thought, what if he's driving a performance, but no badges, no red callipers. Even if he was tho...still no match for the P100D. It's not a raven but it only has 6,000 km on the car. First half of 2019 build.

I gotta say..what the #(@*#. I'm sure you all gonna say it was me or something, and your probably right! But how can you screw up just pushing the peddle. I do know how to drive, it's my third model S I know the car well. BAFFLED!

Any thoughts???
I have a 2018 model 3 performance with 15k miles on it. I Beat most cars easily, but a p100d with or without ludicrous should beat my car anytime. Check your settings or if you like I’ll swap cars with you.

A few notes,:
"were you cold?" The power available increases as the battery warms.
"was State of Charge (SOC) low", previously stated but that can make a difference.
"Did you engage the easter egg where you hold the ludi+ button and get the "I want my mommy" prompt.?

As a follow up, I have a P85DL, I plan to build a map for temp, SOC and power available as it is all available on the Powertrain CAN bus. I would like to build the same maps for the P90DL and the P100DL. Will publish those once I have the data. An example data point, at 22C the BMS allowed 439kW of discharge; at 34C with the same SOC the BMS allowed 455kW of discharge. When the battery is gets much colder the power available drops off significantly. I don't have the temp but when I started that investigation that day the BMS allowed only 377kW.

Reactions: aerodyne
Hey everyone,

My first post here. I gotta say, the disappointment pushed me here to post something. I got a brand new P100DL+ and I absolutely love my car. However, No one really challenges me for a go on the road, I guess once they see the badge, they know it's over before it starts...until tonight.

A Model 3 pulls up beside me as we are in motion, maybe 50km and just pushes his car, it was fast. But I thought, ya it's a Tesla, of course it's fast. I pull up next to him and we both push it to the max...and he pulled away from me. How is that even possible?

Next, we get to a light and I'm ready, trying to engage launch mode with is harder to engage then any feature I've ever tried in my life. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It didn't work this time. Light turns green, he was gone...gone I tell you. I pushed the accelerator all the way, and of course I was fast as hell, but I couldn't catch him. Then I thought, what if he's driving a performance, but no badges, no red callipers. Even if he was tho...still no match for the P100D. It's not a raven but it only has 6,000 km on the car. First half of 2019 build.

I gotta say..what the #(@*#. I'm sure you all gonna say it was me or something, and your probably right! But how can you screw up just pushing the peddle. I do know how to drive, it's my third model S I know the car well. BAFFLED!

Any thoughts???

Easy to understand. It's all about how many amps your battery can deliver right now. So if your SOC is low or your battery is cold and his SOC is high and battery is warm, you can easily lose. One thing I do is set it to have my battery charge complete right when I'm planning on driving. That warms up the battery significantly and make a big difference. In the summer just charging at 240VAC/40Amps for a few hours feels just about like Ludricious +. In the winter, it doesn't get you there but it does warm up the battery nicely. Or, there's something wrong with your battery.

My reality is this:
I drive a '16 S P100DL. I am famous in my group for Las Vegas cannonball runs. I've raced it on 5 dragstrips and the only trouble I've ever had was a nitrous Fox body Mustang racecar. I eat 3's for breakfast. I have raced the same car with three different people driving and my times were almost the same... where that Camero was like three different timezones.

Not everyone can race, but this is an S P100DL...
the great equalizer.