TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

P100D ludicrous vs. insane

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by oktane, Dec 24, 2016.

1. oktane

oktane Active Member

How noticeable is the difference? Is it worth the cost? I can't find specs on the difference since it is now bundled. How different is the freeway experience?

2. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

The P without the L is pointless based on my experience.

3. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I can only comment on the P85D vs P85D. From 0~30 MPH there was no difference at all that I could discern, although I did not actually do an instrumented test. The P85D is much quicker in mid-range from, say, 50-90 MPH. The huge perceptible difference for me is two lane highway passing. The Insane was very, very quick, but the Ludicrous is just that.

The most pertinent question is whether I'd do the upgrade again if I had the chance. I would, mostly because I travel often on two lane roads. Rational? of course not! Just think of the names; they're completely correct IMHO.

• Like x 2
  4. JClu

JClu Member

Totally agree with this comment. Unless you have spare $45,000 sitting around to burn, and you like going to the race track every weekend to race your car, I failed to see how it could be"rational" to spend that much more. How many people need the 2.4 second 0-60 acceleration time in everyday driving?

• Like x 2
  5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I don't think they are offering a P100D without Ludicrous, are they?

I thought all P100Ds came with Ludicrous - which means no one knows what it would be like without.

• Like x 2
  6. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Tesla is offering P100D's without L to increase end of year/quarter sales. If you find an inventory car they will remove L to reduce the price of the car $10k.

yes, the premium for the P's is, well, insane, but I personally would not be happy in a non-P. Once you've had it, it's very difficult to go back. Even my non car enthusiast wife is no longer willing to give up her P.

• Like x 5
  7. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Our boys refer to sport mode as "mommy" mode because it is so noticibly slower off the mark (vs L mode).

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

So that's a $32k premium assuming one was going to buy smart air. Correct?

Assume they will charge $10k for the 90->100. That leaves $22k for ludicrous??

9. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

I thought the L upgrade to the P90 was 10k.

10. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Oops. I meant $22k for insane...

11. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

For those of us:rolleyes: who buy these things it might be appropriate to call it insanely ludicrous. We all must admit that Tesla names this stuff correctly.

• Funny x 1
  12. NSX1992

NSX1992 Member

Going from a P85D to a P85DL was a reduction of 0.2 seconds for both 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

13. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

So $22k over a 90D for a P100D non-L inventory would give -

- 4.2s 0-60 improved to ~2.8s
    - Red brake calipers
    - 100 instead of 90 (Rumor has it ~12kWh more capacity)
    - Approx 20 miles more range
    - Immediate availability

Everything else same

??

14. typhune

typhune Member

For what it's worth, I have a P90D insane. The car is ridiculously fast as it is, and I have plenty of other things I could spend 10k on. basically if you can afford do burn 100$ bills or you have a desire to be faster than a 911 GT3 RS in a straight line, then go for it. Otherwise it's something 99% of the population doesn't need.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

My "classic" P85 already has more acceleration than can really be used under normal driving.

With the unlimited free long distance charging expiring in a few days, we have looked at purchasing a P100D in order to get more range (than our P85), but it's hard to justify spending $40K (or $30K, if they are discounting the cars by disabling the "launch" mode) to get 20 more miles than a 90D for additional acceleration that will never be used for normal driving...

16. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

It's more than a 20mi difference, as the 100 actually is 100kWh whereas the 90 is closer to 86? You also get faster supercharging as a result of not needing to charge above 70% for most SuC hops and the new cooling system.

But there definitely is a premium. Waiting for the 100D and paying for supercharging will be a better financial decision for most.

But I couldn't resist. Traded my P85D for a P100D on the 23rd.

• Like x 4
  17. Vger

Vger Active Member

Right there with you!

• Like x 1
  18. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

I thought all of the P100s were L

19. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

20 miles if you compare the S90 to the P100. More if you compare P to P.

20. JBsC6z51

JBsC6z51 Member

Ten grand for .2 ths is too high...and I'm a car enthusiast on my third corvette with a model 3 on reservation..

I want awd autonomous mode but I'm not spending ten grand for a quicker car by 2 tenths of a second.

Jmo..