Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D ludicrous vs. insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can only comment on the P85D vs P85D. From 0~30 MPH there was no difference at all that I could discern, although I did not actually do an instrumented test. The P85D is much quicker in mid-range from, say, 50-90 MPH. The huge perceptible difference for me is two lane highway passing. The Insane was very, very quick, but the Ludicrous is just that.

The most pertinent question is whether I'd do the upgrade again if I had the chance. I would, mostly because I travel often on two lane roads. Rational? of course not! Just think of the names; they're completely correct IMHO.

Rational? of course not! Just think of the names; they're completely correct

Totally agree with this comment. Unless you have spare $45,000 sitting around to burn, and you like going to the race track every weekend to race your car, I failed to see how it could be"rational" to spend that much more. How many people need the 2.4 second 0-60 acceleration time in everyday driving?

Tesla is offering P100D's without L to increase end of year/quarter sales. If you find an inventory car they will remove L to reduce the price of the car $10k.

yes, the premium for the P's is, well, insane, but I personally would not be happy in a non-P. Once you've had it, it's very difficult to go back. Even my non car enthusiast wife is no longer willing to give up her P.

So $22k over a 90D for a P100D non-L inventory would give -

- 4.2s 0-60 improved to ~2.8s
- Red brake calipers
- 100 instead of 90 (Rumor has it ~12kWh more capacity)
- Approx 20 miles more range
- Immediate availability

Everything else same

??

My "classic" P85 already has more acceleration than can really be used under normal driving.

With the unlimited free long distance charging expiring in a few days, we have looked at purchasing a P100D in order to get more range (than our P85), but it's hard to justify spending $40K (or $30K, if they are discounting the cars by disabling the "launch" mode) to get 20 more miles than a 90D for additional acceleration that will never be used for normal driving...

It's more than a 20mi difference, as the 100 actually is 100kWh whereas the 90 is closer to 86? You also get faster supercharging as a result of not needing to charge above 70% for most SuC hops and the new cooling system.

But there definitely is a premium. Waiting for the 100D and paying for supercharging will be a better financial decision for most.

But I couldn't resist. Traded my P85D for a P100D on the 23rd.

It's more than a 20mi difference, as the 100 actually is 100kWh whereas the 90 is closer to 86? You also get faster supercharging as a result of not needing to charge above 70% for most SuC hops and the new cooling system.

But there definitely is a premium. Waiting for the 100D and paying for supercharging will be a better financial decision for most.

But I couldn't resist. Traded my P85D for a P100D on the 23rd.
20 miles if you compare the S90 to the P100. More if you compare P to P.

Ten grand for .2 ths is too high...and I'm a car enthusiast on my third corvette with a model 3 on reservation..

I want awd autonomous mode but I'm not spending ten grand for a quicker car by 2 tenths of a second.

Jmo..