Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D ludicrous vs. insane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went from an 85D to a P100DL...not sure I could go back to a non P car...

From a dollars and cents perspective it's definitely completely irrational and ludicrous but also so addicting!

On a side note, I had a P85D Insane loaner recently, and I noticed the biggest difference in highway passing acceleration. The accleration from 0-30 seemed pretty similar by my butt dyno...

Yep. Went from P85D to P85DL to P100DL.

P85D would stop pulling hard around 50.
P85DL would stop pulling hard around 75.
P100DL stops pulling ... I haven't discovered it yet. I'm guessing 100+.

With the battery warm and higher SOC it is really impressive acceleration. If only the suspension was active and the steering more precise! I have the 19" and it hunts around a lot at high speeds. Maybe it needs more toe-in? Perhaps Pilot SS or PS4S will help.

I went from an 85D to a P100DL...not sure I could go back to a non P car...

From a dollars and cents perspective it's definitely completely irrational and ludicrous but also so addicting!

As an 85D owner, this is absolutely not what I wanted to hear with my somewhat obsessive and impulsive ways, I had almost convinced myself that the P100D was excessive. Almost... :)

Reactions: Model S M.D.
I just found out that I my Dec 2016 P100D with Insane is not the same as Ludicrous. The badge on the back of my car has the underline, however, the P100D on my display shows no underline? I was told that the Insane is the new Ludicrous. The sales rep told me, I cant get the Insane unless I get the P100D. Before, it was a 10k option, now it is part of the package. So, to learn that i was possibly mis-led into thinking I was buying the top of the top, is quite disheartening. I have a call into Tesla to investigate. The weekend customer service rep did not even know there was a difference.

I just found out that I my Dec 2016 P100D with Insane is not the same as Ludicrous. The badge on the back of my car has the underline, however, the P100D on my display shows no underline? I was told that the Insane is the new Ludicrous. The sales rep told me, I cant get the Insane unless I get the P100D. Before, it was a 10k option, now it is part of the package. So, to learn that i was possibly mis-led into thinking I was buying the top of the top, is quite disheartening. I have a call into Tesla to investigate. The weekend customer service rep did not even know there was a difference.

what the hell? this is completely backwards. "ludicrous" replaced "insane" as the highest level of performance. it is "Ludicrous" that was once a $10k upgrade, but which is now included standard on all new P100D vehicles. there were only a small number of P100Ds produced without "Ludicrous" mode -- they are the lower-performance ones that have "insane mode" instead.

on the Driving Settings screen, where you can switch the mode of the car, do those two buttons say "Sport" and "Insane" or "Sport" and "Ludicrous"? if it says Insane, you got shafted.

The good news is this shouldn't be hard to fix. it's the same battery. just a software upgrade and possibly a fuse upgrade too, not sure.

hopefully they get this sorted out and enable the Ludicrous Speed upgrade for your car as consolation for being so thoroughly misled during the buying process.

good lord. that is scary. sounds like it was a P100DL and they sold it to you for $10k less as a P100D. they forgot to take the underline badge off the back of the car. and they lied to you about the Insane stuff. jeez. i would be livid if i were you. i would go back to that salesman and there would be some furniture-throwin up in there.

Doesn't really worth the difference. 90D is already fast enough.
I went to P90DL from 85D. I agree, the price doesn't worth the difference.

this phrase you use... "doesn't worth the difference"... where does it come from? what does it mean?

this phrase you use... "doesn't worth the difference"... where does it come from? what does it mean?

Doesn't worth the price difference. If you don't time your laps, 90D is fast enough to make you feel nice and race competitively. The price difference ($40k now?) to get P100D is just not worth. You get the exact same car, but slightly faster acceleration, and only if battery is more than %90, then you lose power.
I regret my 85d to p90dl trade in.