TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P100D Model S Crazy Lease Deal

Discussion in 'Model S' started by carfan1523, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

That's a damn good deal. Wouldn't think twice about pulling the trigger. You can always shoot for the lower mileage lease and just pay the overage. It really isn't that much when you calculate it out. You can leave the money in the bank and just pay the overages at the end. See how the numbers work out, just a thought.

One small caveat...its gonna be real hard to go back to a Model 3 after driving that beast!

2. Naekuh

Naekuh Member

No i honestly think the OP is trolling us.

Potential 2017 Model S P100D Lease Deal - Need Input!!

He also made that thread.

3. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

It is theoretically possible he's trolling of course, but Tesla does do these deals from time to time at the end of quarter. They have for years as well, its not a one time thing.

• Like x 1
  4. bcamacho

bcamacho Member

The numbers don't add up. Even with inventory cars, after the discount a lease would be north of $1500/m.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. LVThomas

LVThomas Member

I haven't read all the posts, but I agree with this 100%. The payments are essentially $968.89 when you add ($5k/36). Cap reduction is like pre-paying the monthly payment. A few car companies still do multiple security deposits to lower the money factor. When doing that, you must calculate the amount saved monthly and figure out if an investment vehicle could make the amount of money saved per month. In many cases it cannot and you get the security deposits back at the end of the lease.

6. number12

number12 Supporting Member

HUH?
    What does depreciation have to do with cost of capital?? Where are you getting $10K in interest without knowing the rate?

7. fataldeadlock

fataldeadlock Member

A brand new Model S with zero options is $74,500 with advertised interest rates of 2.99% for a 72 month term. Longer terms, generally mean a higher interest rate. A rate of 3.5% at 96 months would easily make total interest paid over $10k, likewise adding options such as EAP, Premium Upgrade, etc. would push the total interest paid.

Depreciation only comes into play if the car is to be sold / traded in. It combines with the problem of high interest payments to create a bad financial situation. Even without considering the steep depreciation on a new car, loan terms such as this mean that you will owe more than the car is worth for a very long time.

I expressed my surprise as I had never heard first hand of anyone taking financing terms that are so "expensive" on a car.

8. number12

number12 Supporting Member

@fataldeadlock this would assume it’s not a business expense and that your home loan has a lower interest rate than 3.5.

Lot of assumptions. I just don’t look at anything as stand alone, but see your point.

9. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Active Member

Depends how I feel my investments are doing. Why sell investments to buy the car, if I can get a loan at a low rate? I took out a loan, rather than sell stock because the rates were only 1.99%!

10. Skipdd

Skipdd Supporting Member

They do. I'm on my second one (S 100D). Not getting into the religious war between lease vs purchase..

• Informative x 1
  11. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

Are you the Nigerian prince? Can I send you my credit card number so that you can share your fantastic lease deal with me? Is it still April 1st?
    "Fake news." ~Donald Trump

12. Sandollars

Sandollars I bleed Cardinal

#52 Sandollars, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Just did the math..... This is total BS. If new residual is $118,300 after lease and that isn't accounting anything for carrying costs or profits. This deal shows $33,000 discount on the car, that's 30 bucks a mile. Again no profits..... Not a chance in Hades is this legit.

• Disagree x 1
  13. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

Damn you Sandollars! You just destroyed my hope.... :)

• Funny x 1
  14. SDRick

SDRick Active Member

If the OP had to ask if 36 months @ $830 a month is a good lease deal for a P100D one could assume either there is no such deal or the OP can't do math.

15. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Active Member

Huh? I leased a p90d in 2016 for $750 a month. It had 5k miles in it, but yeah, same ball park. Maybe there's some damage that was repaired, hence the huge discount.

Either way, go for it!

I emailed to look for a similar car and only found leases in the $1300 range on p100ds.

16. SucreTease

SucreTease Teslarian

17. Sandollars

Sandollars I bleed Cardinal

If this is a legit deal, I will eat my Borsalino Maestoso......

18. u00mem9

u00mem9 Member

Guys, Elon told me there are no discounts. I’m going to pay MSRP, and let the FSD earn enough to make the payments via the Tesla ride sharing network.

What? :cool:

19. bcamacho

bcamacho Member

Attached is proof to compare data. With an inventory discount of $17k the lease is a little over $1500/m.

Attached Files:

20. ba2002

ba2002 Member

I wouldn't doubt the deal. It's in the same ballpark as the 3rd quarter 2016 deals several of us got on P90Ds.

2 year lease.
    Sticker was ~140.
    Discount was ~40.
    Residual is ~91.
    Finance charge ~14k.
    Tesla "made" me put 5k down.
    Lease paymenet $768.40 /mo including taxes

• Informative x 1