Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Model S Crazy Lease Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a damn good deal. Wouldn't think twice about pulling the trigger. You can always shoot for the lower mileage lease and just pay the overage. It really isn't that much when you calculate it out. You can leave the money in the bank and just pay the overages at the end. See how the numbers work out, just a thought.

One small caveat...its gonna be real hard to go back to a Model 3 after driving that beast!

I personally would never put a down payment (cap cost reduction) on a lease......

I haven't read all the posts, but I agree with this 100%. The payments are essentially $968.89 when you add ($5k/36). Cap reduction is like pre-paying the monthly payment. A few car companies still do multiple security deposits to lower the money factor. When doing that, you must calculate the amount saved monthly and figure out if an investment vehicle could make the amount of money saved per month. In many cases it cannot and you get the security deposits back at the end of the lease.

HUH?
What does depreciation have to do with cost of capital?? Where are you getting $10K in interest without knowing the rate?

A brand new Model S with zero options is $74,500 with advertised interest rates of 2.99% for a 72 month term. Longer terms, generally mean a higher interest rate. A rate of 3.5% at 96 months would easily make total interest paid over $10k, likewise adding options such as EAP, Premium Upgrade, etc. would push the total interest paid.

Depreciation only comes into play if the car is to be sold / traded in. It combines with the problem of high interest payments to create a bad financial situation. Even without considering the steep depreciation on a new car, loan terms such as this mean that you will owe more than the car is worth for a very long time.

I expressed my surprise as I had never heard first hand of anyone taking financing terms that are so "expensive" on a car.

A brand new Model S with zero options is $74,500 with advertised interest rates of 2.99% for a 72 month term. Longer terms, generally mean a higher interest rate. A rate of 3.5% at 96 months would easily make total interest paid over $10k, likewise adding options such as EAP, Premium Upgrade, etc. would push the total interest paid.

Depreciation only comes into play if the car is to be sold / traded in. It combines with the problem of high interest payments to create a bad financial situation. Even without considering the steep depreciation on a new car, loan terms such as this mean that you will owe more than the car is worth for a very long time.

I expressed my surprise as I had never heard first hand of anyone taking financing terms that are so "expensive" on a car.

Depends how I feel my investments are doing. Why sell investments to buy the car, if I can get a loan at a low rate? I took out a loan, rather than sell stock because the rates were only 1.99%!

Just did the math..... This is total BS. If new residual is $118,300 after lease and that isn't accounting anything for carrying costs or profits. This deal shows $33,000 discount on the car, that's 30 bucks a mile. Again no profits..... Not a chance in Hades is this legit.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Just did the math..... This is total BS. If new residual is $118,300 after lease and that isn't accounting anything for carrying costs or profits. This deal shows $33,000 discount on the car, that's 30 bucks a mile. Again no profits..... Not a chance in Hades is this legit.

Huh? I leased a p90d in 2016 for $750 a month. It had 5k miles in it, but yeah, same ball park. Maybe there's some damage that was repaired, hence the huge discount.

Either way, go for it!

I emailed to look for a similar car and only found leases in the $1300 range on p100ds.

The numbers don't add up. Even with inventory cars, after the discount a lease would be north of $1500/m.

Attached is proof to compare data. With an inventory discount of $17k the lease is a little over $1500/m.

Attachments

• pastedImage.png
    pastedImage.png
    52.4 KB · Views: 125
I wouldn't doubt the deal. It's in the same ballpark as the 3rd quarter 2016 deals several of us got on P90Ds.

2 year lease.
Sticker was ~140.
Discount was ~40.
Residual is ~91.
Finance charge ~14k.
Tesla "made" me put 5k down.
Lease paymenet $768.40 /mo including taxes

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911