Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Owners: Why did you choose P100D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PedanticOne

MyTesla Refresh Champion
Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2016
Bay Area, CA
I am contemplating upgrading to a P100D. The reasons are not based on logic, of course.

Help me gain clarity. I'm looking for responses from actual, bonafide P100D owners stating why you bought that particular model? Was it range? Zoom zoom? Fancy spoiler? Have to have the top-o-the line?

I hate to say it, but I like the latest and greatest! It was my midlife crisis present to myself. I realize it will only be the latest and greatest for a time, but it is soooo fun to drive. Super fast. And there is something about knowing you are driving around a car with faster acceleration than pretty much anything else you see on the road. Do I use that full launch acceleration in day to day driving? No. But, it is pretty awesome to take other people for a ride and they say: "I heard these Teslas are pretty quick. . . " and then you show them. There is no other way to describe it. You have to experience it for yourself. Love the range - we don't have chargers nearby. And it gets me to our lake house and back without range anxiety (even in cold weather).

Range range range + free SC. Would have gone with the non P if it was available at the time but it wasn't. The rated range isn't much different between the non P and the P for the MX. Having the zoom will be a fun parlor trick and maybe help convince others first hand that EV does not have to mean small low speed short range urban commuter (yes there is a lot of people who still believe that). Wife really wanted red calipers active spoiler. Not sure why but I'm not complaining

It may not be an issue for you but if you switch now you would lose unlimited SC right? For me it was a value equation... obviously coming from a Model S P85D I was used to the performance and will certainly miss it a bit in my X, however the Canadian option to go from a 90D to the next level up at P100D was about $57,000 (or more? I can't remember now). Let's just say it was a Ludicrous amount for red brakes, adaptive spoiler, a little more range (always been happy with 85kwh but 100 would be nice) and of course the quicker acceleration. After test driving the 90D I found the acceleration quick enough for daily driving (still no slouch and instant reaction to throttle input) so I passed on the P100D.

The problem was that I love to keep my car in great shape and we have kids - originally the Model S was my business car so I kept it pristine - just how my obsessive nature likes it. Then my wife discovered how much she enjoys the Tesla so "my" car became the go-to family car. So we ordered the X but couldn't really afford to keep both for now.

My plan is to max out a performance Model 3 though so the X will be my wife's primary car and the 3 will be mine to baby :). If the 3 doesn't cut it, then by then maybe I'll order a P100DL to satisfy my need for speed. A smaller car would be more appealing though for the city driving I do. In a perfect world they would make me a smaller (lighter) battery with extremely high output. Say 100 miles range but similar performance as a P100D. For daily driving I wouldn't use more than that but that's just me.

I am contemplating upgrading to a P100D. The reasons are not based on logic, of course.

Help me gain clarity. I'm looking for responses from actual, bonafide P100D owners stating why you bought that particular model? Was it range? Zoom zoom? Fancy spoiler? Have to have the top-o-the line?
I have heard in the forum that P100d insurance is $3000 more than 90d yearly. Check with an agent before make the upgrade.

That's a very informative thread. I don't know what all of you guys do for living, but I think P100D/L is insanely expensive for what you get (we are 2 surgeon family). I am awaiting inventory 90D with a huge discount and I am happy as a clam :). This is just IMHO.

As with others like BigMSkiman, I chose the P100D because of
  • 2016-ending free Supercharging
  • longest range available at the time
I would have waited for the 100D if I knew
  • that its rated range was as much greater vs the P100D's range as it is purported to be
  • if it also makes available the 5-seat folder, which we needed (and, without looking, I'd be surprised if it doesn't)
  • how soon in 2017 it would be released
The performance of the P is not of issue to us.

And, that pesky free-for-life SpC access? It's a tough one, but I'm still trusting Mr Musk to deliver on SpCs all the way to and into! Alaska, sometime before the hereafter. That was, is, and will remain critical for us and it also is the primary reason we held on to our creaky, clunky, outdated, pre-autoeverything beloved 2013 Model S.

I have heard in the forum that P100d insurance is $3000 more than 90d yearly. Check with an agent before make the upgrade.

That probably only applies to us in BC who get punished by our Provincial government for working hard:

Why the government is involvement in vehicle insurance in BC is another pet peeve of mine. It's simply a tax grab:

Government grabbing cash from ICBC, BC Hydro as they raise rates, NDP charges

Last edited:
Went from an early 2013 P85+ to a late 2014 P85D, and then to a late 2016 P100D.

1. After driving P's, it would be difficult to go back. Yes, a 90D and a 100D are quicker than most other cars on the road, and certainly "fast enough" for any sane use case. I don't drag race, I don't go WOT at every light, etc. But on occasion it's rather fun to take an on-ramp, and I like the immediate passing capability >65-70mph. The non-P's give up much of their acceleration above 65. I took out a 90D before I bought the P100D and I just couldn't do it. ymmv.

2. I wanted AP2, and keeping non-metered supercharging was desirable, but not a show stopper (real $ benefit to this is not as much as one might think, unless you're towing with an X all the time).

3. Got a discount on a showroom car in Q4 that put me over.

I'm now ~5-6 weeks post purchase:

1. I really miss the + suspension and sway bars from my early P85D. It also turns out the steering is different. Apparently Tesla changed suppliers and I can feel the difference. It's less precise and I can't feel the road as much.
2. I miss the HID headlights. Sadly, the LEDs are not as good, and they should be better.
3. I'm concerned about the latest safety ratings. I hope Tesla redesigns the headlights and offers an at-cost upgrade, and fixes the seat belt issue free of charge.
4. The range can't be beat. A P85D is really closer to 80kWh, whereas the 100 is 98kWh (usable). I get 316 rated miles @ 100%. I charge to 80% daily, so theoretically my degradation should be less.
5. Superchargering on the 100 is quite nice. In 45-50F temps today I was still at 115kW at 170 rated miles, and 46kW at 290.

The 100D is by far a better value. If you make the decision with the left side of your brain and your wallet you'll get the 100D. If you're making it with the right side of your brain you'll get the P100D.

I hate to say it, but I like the latest and greatest! It was my midlife crisis present to myself. I realize it will only be the latest and greatest for a time, but it is soooo fun to drive. Super fast. And there is something about knowing you are driving around a car with faster acceleration than pretty much anything else you see on the road. Do I use that full launch acceleration in day to day driving? No. But, it is pretty awesome to take other people for a ride and they say: "I heard these Teslas are pretty quick. . . " and then you show them. There is no other way to describe it. You have to experience it for yourself. Love the range - we don't have chargers nearby. And it gets me to our lake house and back without range anxiety (even in cold weather).
+1 on the mid-life crisis reason. It only happens once. So even if the 100D were available, I regretted having only gone 90D last car, so P had to happen this time. It's dream to drive!

Reactions: ibracem