Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Performance Questions, Sport -VS- Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone knows or can tell me where I can find performance information that compares ad Sport mode VS Ludicrous mode? I am looking for three main categories:

1) 0-60 Differences

2) Passing Time Differences (I saw this number before when in Ludicrous but haven't been able to find it again. It was something like 45mph-65mph in like 1.8 seconds)

3) 1/4 Mile Times

Can someone also help me to better understand how battery charge % relates to changes in performance? What I am wondering is how much power loss is there as the battery charge goes down? Obviously I understand that you get your max performance at 100% charge. My question is what kind of performance changes can I expect at around 75%, 50% & 25% charge levels. I know there is no exact answer, just wondering if anyone has played around and figured out how charge level affects the cars performance?

Thanks for any input.

I was wondering if anyone knows or can tell me where I can find performance information that compares ad Sport mode VS Ludicrous mode? I am looking for three main categories:

1) 0-60 Differences

2) Passing Time Differences (I saw this number before when in Ludicrous but haven't been able to find it again. It was something like 45mph-65mph in like 1.8 seconds)

3) 1/4 Mile Times

Can someone also help me to better understand how battery charge % relates to changes in performance? What I am wondering is how much power loss is there as the battery charge goes down? Obviously I understand that you get your max performance at 100% charge. My question is what kind of performance changes can I expect at around 75%, 50% & 25% charge levels. I know there is no exact answer, just wondering if anyone has played around and figured out how charge level affects the cars performance?

Thanks for any input.

I don't have a p100d to test with but I believe sport mode applys the same power level to every car. When in sport mode I measure 380kW of power max vs a p100d in ludicrous mode that should pull around 560kW. It would be a lot slower as its a loss of about 240 horsepower! Also when the car is in sport mode the gas petal is not as responsive as it is when in ludicrous mode. The delay between pressing the petal and the cars response is quite noticeable, one other member compared sport mode to slug mode!

As far as power at different levels, check out this thread and this graph from that thread. Max Power vs State of Charge and Temp

TeslaPwrLudPlus.jpg

Last edited:
Tech_Guy,

Thanks so much for your reply. Wow, that is a lot of information to digest. I can say one thing, the person that said sport mode is "slug mode" compared to Ludicrous mode. I do find that what you said is very true. The gas pedal in sport mode is not very responsive. I really notice it more at slower speeds. When driving typically under 25mph (all the way down to 0) when I give the car 100% throttle the response seems to be very linear. It seems to pull at a constant G-force all the way until I let off the pedal. As compared to when the car is say 30ish mph and I give it 100% gas and the car pulls like mad immediately up to around 80-90mph then begins to not pull as hard.

I guess I'll have to take a performance meter and do some testing on the car. I would like to plot the performance between sport and Ludicrous. Then compare sport and Ludicrous at different charging levels.

I would like to know stuff such as would sport mode at 100% charge be faster then Ludicrous mode at 25% charge? Or, am I not understanding? Will Ludicrous mode no mater how much charge be able to pull at around 560KW then fall off quickly?

Thanks Again,

If I had to guess even at 25% power the P100D would make more power in ludicrous mode then sport. Using the graph and continuing the curve I would guess it would be around 450kW- 460kW.. I don't know if the sport mode power drops at a lower charge, it might...

Sorry, my last post wasn't very clear. I have a relatively rare car. It's a P100D without ludicrous. Tesla doesn't publish any stats on this car, not even the 0-60. I'd like to provide data to help fill in the chart with my configuration, but I don't know how to correct whatever data you used in the plot. Point me to the right tool?

I'm especially curious to see how it compares to the P90DL!

Thanks!

@cryptyk The tool used to collect this data is called Power Tools for Tesla, I know its in the apple iOS store as I have it on my iPhone, I don't know if its on android... Please share your data in the Max Power thread I linked above! @Old Man Mike will add your data to the table...

That would be great! If you could, please first get the battery up to temp by using Max Pwr ON and ready. Then switch Max Pwr OFF and collect the data for 95, 90, 80 and 75%. A few more points below 75% would be very useful but the top four should be the most interesting.

In the above post he was just looking for the max battery power ready but turned off since he already had that data, in your case I'm sure he would like both with max battery ready and on tests as well as max battery power ready but off tests at various states of charge up to 100

Last edited:
Sorry, my last post wasn't very clear. I have a relatively rare car. It's a P100D without ludicrous. Tesla doesn't publish any stats on this car, not even the 0-60. I'd like to provide data to help fill in the chart with my configuration, but I don't know how to correct whatever data you used in the plot. Point me to the right tool?

I'm especially curious to see how it compares to the P90DL!

Thanks!
How did you pull off a P100D without Ludicrous? I didn't even know that was possible? Do you mind me asking what these cost? Is it the same everything else, just minus the performance?

I've got one also. P100D with no Ludicrous Mode. $12,600 off for 500 mile showroom car, and another $10,000 off without Ludicrous. Couldn't pass up the large savings. But I'm curious also what the 0-60 is and how performance is from 50-70, etc. compared to other models. My service advisor stated it was 2.9 sec 0-60, which seemed reasonable.

Anyone have a graph showing power output vs. speed? The above graph is peak kW, but as we know this tapers off quickly as speed increases. Would love to see some 0-100mph plots!

My P100D seems to putting out max power at least up through 90mph, which is as fast as I've driven it.

Edit: looking through some PowerTools logs, I haven't really floored it above 80 for more than a second or so, so I can't really say, never mind. :). It did go from 80 to 94 in about 1.5 seconds at about 545kw. That's only one sample, though, and may or may not be its max. Charge level was 90%.

Last edited:
I've got one also. P100D with no Ludicrous Mode. $12,600 off for 500 mile showroom car, and another $10,000 off without Ludicrous. Couldn't pass up the large savings. But I'm curious also what the 0-60 is and how performance is from 50-70, etc. compared to other models. My service advisor stated it was 2.9 sec 0-60, which seemed reasonable.

If you have an iPhone, download Tesla power tools and give the logs to Mike! I would, but don't have an iPhone.

I wonder, why do those non-Ludicrous P100D's exist?
Are they L cars with software disabled L, to be able to discount it more?
Or L disabled because of giving alarm signs of sorts?

Many would have liked a $10k cheaper car, just to get the 300+ miles range.

I wonder, why do those non-Ludicrous P100D's exist?
Are they L cars with software disabled L, to be able to discount it more?
Or L disabled because of giving alarm signs of sorts?

Many would have liked a $10k cheaper car, just to get the 300+ miles range.

The former. I was offered one as well, but passed because the rest of the build was not of interest to me.

Does anyone know what the range of the P100DL is when you're driving it around in Sport (slug) mode vs Ludicrous mode?

Depends on how you drive ;)

Seriously, though, just having it in ludicrous mode doesn't impact the range or battery usage. It just "raises the ceiling" on the performance. If you accelerate at sport speeds while in ludicrous mode, you'll see the same battery usage.