Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Performance Questions, Sport -VS- Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder, why do those non-Ludicrous P100D's exist?
Are they L cars with software disabled L, to be able to discount it more?
Or L disabled because of giving alarm signs of sorts?

Many would have liked a $10k cheaper car, just to get the 300+ miles range.

Yes, it was just for pricing the cars cheaper by $10K. I happened to bump into the exact configuration I would have ordered, and it was local. So saving $23,600 (including $1K referral), meant I didn't need to wait for the 100D, and I would rather have around 3 sec 0-60 instead of the 100D's 4.2, which is the same performance as my 4 year old P85 - so wanted an upgrade.

Yes, it was just for pricing the cars cheaper by $10K. I happened to bump into the exact configuration I would have ordered, and it was local. So saving $23,600 (including $1K referral), meant I didn't need to wait for the 100D, and I would rather have around 3 sec 0-60 instead of the 100D's 4.2, which is the same performance as my 4 year old P85 - so wanted an upgrade.
Sweet!
And how much did you end up paying extra for the P and unlimited SUC, disregarding the quicker delivery?

My P100D seems to putting out max power at least up through 90mph, which is as fast as I've driven it.

Edit: looking through some PowerTools logs, I haven't really floored it above 80 for more than a second or so, so I can't really say, never mind. :). It did go from 80 to 94 in about 1.5 seconds at about 545kw. That's only one sample, though, and may or may not be its max. Charge level was 90%.

You're getting 545kW with a NON-ludicrous car? That's pretty good. I don't think my Ludicrous does much over that.

I've got one also. P100D with no Ludicrous Mode. $12,600 off for 500 mile showroom car, and another $10,000 off without Ludicrous. Couldn't pass up the large savings. But I'm curious also what the 0-60 is and how performance is from 50-70, etc. compared to other models. My service advisor stated it was 2.9 sec 0-60, which seemed reasonable.

I also have a non "L" P100D, purchased under a similar year end deal. $11,300 off for a 168mi showroom car + a $10k deduct for no Ludicrous. (and of course unlimited supercharging because the purchase was 12/30/16). I asked my SA what the 0-60 was on an "Insane" P100D. He inquired within and then got back to me with "Under 3 seconds", which is similar to what your SA stated. It seems like they dont have an exact published spec.

Does anyone know why the Power Tools app does 0 - 62 mph instead of 0 - 60? Also I assume it is not using the 1 ft rollout and is actually measuring the entire run?

I saw some threads on Power Tools from when it first came out, and it noted that at the time the polling data was only available in 0.250 second increments, and as such the accuracy of time measurements could be off by as much as 0.250 seconds. Does anyone know if that is still true?

Does anyone know why the Power Tools app does 0 - 62 mph instead of 0 - 60? Also I assume it is not using the 1 ft rollout and is actually measuring the entire run?

I saw some threads on Power Tools from when it first came out, and it noted that at the time the polling data was only available in 0.250 second increments, and as such the accuracy of time measurements could be off by as much as 0.250 seconds. Does anyone know if that is still true?

because if you measure in km/h like most of the world does then 0-62mph is exactly 0-100km/h not 60mph

because if you measure in km/h like most of the world does then 0-62mph is exactly 0-100km/h not 60mph

The guy that originally developed the app is based in the US. It didn't even support metric measurements or European users when it was first released. Your explanation makes sense, and I've seen some magazines use 0 - 62mph, but is odd here given the background of the developer and the app as well as the fact the app refers to it as a 0 - 60mph timer when in fact what is reported was a 0 - 62mph time.

The guy that originally developed the app is based in the US. It didn't even support metric measurements or European users when it was first released. Your explanation makes sense, and I've seen some magazines use 0 - 62mph, but is odd here given the background of the developer and the app as well as the fact the app refers to it as a 0 - 60mph timer when in fact what is reported was a 0 - 62mph time.

I guess in a world where we speak of vehicles like the Tesla doing 0-60mph in less than 3 sec, 0.3218688 kilometers per hour slower/faster than the quoted speed does make a difference. I have seen some magazines quote the 0-60mph when in fact they should have said 0-62mph, it never really made that big of a difference in the past, but I guess with vehicle pushing the limits they will have to look at this, maybe one day the US will decide to drive on the right side of the road which is the left and use the metric system :p:D

Last edited:

Unfortunately, I have found Powertools kind of useless for measuring 0-60. first of all, as you noticed, it measures 0-62 for some weird reason, and secondly its sample rate seems to be only once every .25 seconds or so, and the calculations don't do any line-fitting. this means its measurement can be off by up to a half second.

iOS PowerTools (and Android Dashboard for Tesla) is great for recording power over time, which can be used to deduce torque. You cannot easily do this with vBox.

Torque limits are even more noticeable than max power limits.

Do any non ludicrous P100D owners have 0-60 or quarter mile runlogs? Have any P100DL users done either runlog in sport mode? It would be great to have these values in the Performance Metrics.

Reactions: P100DHG.
I drove a P100D and and in sport and the sales person told me it was very similar to a 90D. That's what he told me but a real answer would be nice.
Well I couldn’t stand it so I bought a P100D soon after my original post and answered my own question about a year later. And the sales person was right. Here is the link to the answer.

100D vs. P100D 0-60

Last edited:
Reactions: lorenzo_t
It’s a good question. I drive it in sport when I have my little son in the car to limit the acceleration. Rear facing a quick jerk throws him out of the seat rather than in it. Chill also didn’t exist when I bought mine so I drove in sport as my chill basically and I sometimes use Chill when he is sleeping now. Options are nice to have. Don’t have to use them but it can’t hurt to have them.
Wouldn't just not pressing the accelerator as hard do the trick? I could have sworn I heard that people are able to drive P100D's in Ludicrous mode in traffic behind cars that accelerate much slower, and not have to turn off Ludicrous in order not to hit the slower cars in front of them. ;)

I did just say to my brother who is a serious car guy that the P100D keeps things fresh. Turning on the ludicrous mode is like buying a new car every time. It’s surprisingly quick
Not something I would do but I can see the argument or switching between good and great just to appreciate the difference, however, wouldn't you rather have the power available for safety, in case you need to accelerate faster to get the car our of danger?

Wouldn't just not pressing the accelerator as hard do the trick? I could have sworn I heard that people are able to drive P100D's in Ludicrous mode in traffic behind cars that accelerate much slower, and not have to turn off Ludicrous in order not to hit the slower cars in front of them. ;)

Not something I would do but I can see the argument or switching between good and great just to appreciate the difference, however, wouldn't you rather have the power available for safety, in case you need to accelerate faster to get the car our of danger?
They call it ludicrous for a reason :eek: