TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P100D Performance Questions, Sport -VS- Ludicrous

Discussion in 'Model S' started by A2Sirbill, Jan 21, 2017.

1. AltPowr

AltPowr Supporting Member

Yes, it was just for pricing the cars cheaper by $10K. I happened to bump into the exact configuration I would have ordered, and it was local. So saving $23,600 (including $1K referral), meant I didn't need to wait for the 100D, and I would rather have around 3 sec 0-60 instead of the 100D's 4.2, which is the same performance as my 4 year old P85 - so wanted an upgrade.

2. Cloxxki

Cloxxki Member

Sweet!
    And how much did you end up paying extra for the P and unlimited SUC, disregarding the quicker delivery?

3. AltPowr

AltPowr Supporting Member

I have no idea, but the "P" part is a big jump in money.

4. oktane

oktane Member

You're getting 545kW with a NON-ludicrous car? That's pretty good. I don't think my Ludicrous does much over that.

5. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

No, it has ludicrous mode. Also the 545 was at about 80 or 90 mph. The max KW happens at slightly lower mph.

6. DHG.

DHG. Member

I drove a P100D and and in sport and the sales person told me it was very similar to a 90D. That's what he told me but a real answer would be nice.

7. Vortexx

Vortexx Member

I also have a non "L" P100D, purchased under a similar year end deal. $11,300 off for a 168mi showroom car + a $10k deduct for no Ludicrous. (and of course unlimited supercharging because the purchase was 12/30/16). I asked my SA what the 0-60 was on an "Insane" P100D. He inquired within and then got back to me with "Under 3 seconds", which is similar to what your SA stated. It seems like they dont have an exact published spec.

8. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

Does anyone know why the Power Tools app does 0 - 62 mph instead of 0 - 60? Also I assume it is not using the 1 ft rollout and is actually measuring the entire run?

I saw some threads on Power Tools from when it first came out, and it noted that at the time the polling data was only available in 0.250 second increments, and as such the accuracy of time measurements could be off by as much as 0.250 seconds. Does anyone know if that is still true?

9. Jeff4155

Jeff4155 Member

because if you measure in km/h like most of the world does then 0-62mph is exactly 0-100km/h not 60mph

10. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

The guy that originally developed the app is based in the US. It didn't even support metric measurements or European users when it was first released. Your explanation makes sense, and I've seen some magazines use 0 - 62mph, but is odd here given the background of the developer and the app as well as the fact the app refers to it as a 0 - 60mph timer when in fact what is reported was a 0 - 62mph time.

11. Jeff4155

Jeff4155 Member

#31 Jeff4155, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    I guess in a world where we speak of vehicles like the Tesla doing 0-60mph in less than 3 sec, 0.3218688 kilometers per hour slower/faster than the quoted speed does make a difference. I have seen some magazines quote the 0-60mph when in fact they should have said 0-62mph, it never really made that big of a difference in the past, but I guess with vehicle pushing the limits they will have to look at this, maybe one day the US will decide to drive on the right side of the road which is the left and use the metric system :p:D

12. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

Unfortunately, I have found Powertools kind of useless for measuring 0-60. first of all, as you noticed, it measures 0-62 for some weird reason, and secondly its sample rate seems to be only once every .25 seconds or so, and the calculations don't do any line-fitting. this means its measurement can be off by up to a half second.