Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Retrofit Question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there is NOT a lot of info regarding the P100D retrofit for Refreshed P90D/L owners, but I was doing a little math (albeit, I'm sure I may be wrong in my assumptions and calculations below), but I' was just curious as to what will be included in this retrofit (once it's announced).

What we know
=============
The P100D retrofit is coming one day, hopefully.
URL = New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

Test Scenario #1 (my P90D/L)
=======================
  • 98% SOC
  • Max Battery Set and Ready
  • Range Mode Off
  • Ludicrous Mode engaged
  • Launch Mode used successfully
  • Already at 13000 miles. Picked up July 8, 2016.
0-60 run in 3.2 seconds at 460 kw = 616 hp (power tools used to capture the data). If anyone wants to see the data, I can post it if needed.
My Battery Part # = 1063792-00-A (appears to be v1 of the battery for the P90D/L)

Online Manual within my MS 17" screen says
  • Front Motor = 193 kw
  • Rear Motor = 375 kw
  • Total = 568 kw which is 761 hp at the crank.
Test Scenario #2 (Dragtime's YouTube Video)
====================================
  • Dragtimes in this Youtube Video (as the last run) shows the same setup as mine but in their P100D (URL =
    )
  • 98% SOC
  • Max Battery Set and Ready
  • Range Mode Off
  • Ludicrous+ engaged
  • Launch Mode used successful
His 0-60 was 2.4 seconds at 576 kw = 772 hp
Battery Part # = 10886755-00-A (initial P100D came with this) or 1115548-00-A (some of the latest P100D from the factory come with this) - no idea what the difference is.

Extrapolation
=============
So this is me trying to extrapolate based on this data.
  1. Dragtime's P100D came away with 576kw and I'm sure his motors are rated much higher (would be nice to see what the online manual on the 17" screen indicates in the Specification / Subsystem section)
  2. My P90D/L came away with 460 kw with the manual indicating that the motors are rated at 568.

Question
========
Does this imply that the P100D retrofit for us refreshed P90D/L will also include new drive units with the P100D motors, otherwise wouldn't the kw rate achieve by Dragtimes (576) exceed the rated kw (568) of our current drive units for the P90D/L found in the online manual?

Am I completely off in my thoughts here?

The number you quoted was battery power, if you look at the dashboard screen it lists max values for battery, front motor, rear motor and acceleration. If you add the front and rear motor power you end up with 517 with the battery making 572. Obviously their is some power lost between the battery and the motors.

IMG_6142.jpg

The number you quoted was battery power, if you look at the dashboard screen it lists max values for battery, front motor, rear motor and acceleration. If you add the front and rear motor power you end up with 517 with the battery making 572. Obviously their is some power lost between the battery and the motors.

View attachment 219107

Ok, so that's making sense now. I guess I missed that when watching the video.

So then based on those numbers for the two P100D motors, and what is listed in the P90D/L online manual (see below), then it's looking like that our current drive will remain, and all the retrofit will include is a battery, software upgrade and exterior badging...

Now the more important questions. I'm on the list for the upgrade at the Dublin, CA store, the factory service center and also at the Tesla Gear online store... Just waiting for the announcement

Attachments

• 17361909_10208721003126986_804954123876108244_n.jpg
    17361909_10208721003126986_804954123876108244_n.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: Evee and Tech_Guy
I'm new here and love my Tesla so I am asking out of curiously. The P90DL came in the nose cone version AP1 and the refresh with AP1 and AP2. The P100D came in the refresh only AP1 and AP2. My question is are all P90DLs regardless of body design eligible for the upgrade?

That's what I thought originally, but then the numbers don't really make sense.

How can you achieve the P100D 576kw from the drive unit (Dragtime's video), when the P90D/L drive units is only rated for 568 kw (according to the online manual)?

The drive units are rated for a combined 763 hp at the motor shafts. This is not the battery power. You lose about 11% from the batter to the drive shaft output due to conversion through the inverter and conversion of electricity to mechanical energy. 576K with an 11% conversion loss is 687 hp which is NOWHERE near the combined limit of the DUs.

Another way of thinking about this is, if Tesla wasn't liable for telling Americans "691 Motor HP" from the very beginning, than that must be the minimum rated motor capacity that a 100KWh battery could theoretically be strapped to.

Reactions: sorka
And only in firmware that almost none of us got (or at least still have) -- i.e. no customer vehicles have this UI without some hacking, IIRC.
Really? Thats not how I understand it. So your saying they removed the readouts dash menu which ONLY appears when in ludicrous plus mode and max battery power ready? No one else has mentioned this going away with a software update thus my skepticism....

Really? Thats not how I understand it. So your saying they removed the readouts dash menu which ONLY appears when in ludicrous plus mode and max battery power ready? No one else has mentioned this going away with a software update thus my skepticism....
Apologies. My info was stale. Turns out the removal of that widget has been reversed. Confirmed yesterday that my car has that readout in Lud+.

Now it's July 5th. We are all still waiting. Tesla has been silent, but I'm guessing his comment (see below) is a potential reason why the retrofit has not started)

“The major factor affecting Tesla’s Q2 deliveries was a severe production shortfall of 100 kWh battery packs, which are made using new technologies on new production lines. The technology challenge grows exponentially with energy density. Until early June, production averaged about 40% below demand. Once this was resolved, June orders and deliveries were strong, ranking as one of the best in Tesla history.”

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy
id have to agree, from looking at the battery part number list I have, all 100 models use the same pack wether its a P100D or a 100D given that they have discontinued the 90 thats a lot of 100 packs being built. Also a few months back I recall hearing that some new delivery 100 cars had issues with the battery pack and they were replaced before delivery of the car, according to what you posted they have hopefully resolved those issues and we might see the 100 retrofit become available soon!!

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones