Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Track Day at Homestead Speedway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ist time tracking the P100D which was a blast for the first two laps overtaking everything on the straights
The curves are a little challenging in a big saloon car but the low batteries kept it from rolling out she was better than my P85 I tracked last year as the four wheel drive did not let the back kick out at all.
Not too much tyre scrub and I was throwing it into the corners at a good rate of speed

I was concerned that 21" rims would be a problem but the Michelin Super sports held up well aired down to 38PSI
Of course after lap two the car went into limp mode i was hoping for a little more time hitting 112 in the straights but by the end of lap 4 I was down to 82 mph and struggling. (it hurts getting overtaken by the corvette you just buried in the previous lap)
While I am well aware the s is not a track car it would hold its own only if they could fix the overheating issue

I will have some video on the track once I edit it some time this week.

Only other issue was the speeding ticket I got 1000 yard from the speedway entrance

Attachments

• 20180121_124716.jpg
    20180121_124716.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 1d4x07061.jpg
    1d4x07061.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 1d4x05421.jpg
    1d4x05421.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 20180121_141844.jpg
    20180121_141844.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 20180121_141823.jpg
    20180121_141823.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 101
Fantastic. Thank you for posting the details. I loved my track day a few years ago in a P85D. The brakes were really soft after just a few turns, which didn't help my confidence in stopping. I wish the S would come with better brakes. How did your brakes and brake fluid hold up?

• Informative
Reactions: Swift
While I am well aware the s is not a track car it would hold its own only if they could fix the overheating issue

That's like saying a Miata would be amazing if only it had 750hp. The whole powertrain isn't designed for continuous high power output. Everything, the rotor, the stator, the inverter and the battery all overheat one right behind the other. Even if you were dump a huge amount more super-cold coolant at it, you'd never be able to get the heat out of the IGBTs fast enough. Even if you replaced the whole thing, you're still stuck with a 5000lb car. Never gonna be a track star.

Reactions: Big Earl
Ist time tracking the P100D which was a blast for the first two laps overtaking everything on the straights
The curves are a little challenging in a big saloon car but the low batteries kept it from rolling out she was better than my P85 I tracked last year as the four wheel drive did not let the back kick out at all.
Not too much tyre scrub and I was throwing it into the corners at a good rate of speed

I was concerned that 21" rims would be a problem but the Michelin Super sports held up well aired down to 38PSI
Of course after lap two the car went into limp mode i was hoping for a little more time hitting 112 in the straights but by the end of lap 4 I was down to 82 mph and struggling. (it hurts getting overtaken by the corvette you just buried in the previous lap)

I will have some video on the track once I edit it some time this week.

Only other issue was the speeding ticket I got 1000 yard from the speedway entrance

Sounds like you have enough track experience to never speed around a race track. The local law enforcement love ticketing track people more than life itself.

I cant wait to see the video.

We had a great time down there at Homestead when we attended the BMW M Sport track days. 145mph-ish on the high banks in the M2 and M4’s. I’m surprised they don’t let you run on the high banks, that is a very unique experience compared to the street portion.