Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Upgrade pending or typo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks - just to play devil's advocate - if the current 90's are actually software limited why would Tesla hide this upgrade for so long instead of telling us right now and unlocking the 100 kwhr potential?
Because they probably don't want to tick off people who bought prior 90s over the past year (or whenever the 90 was announced).

I doubt the new 90s are software limited. There is no reason to do that and not tell people right away except as an outside possibility the 100 upgrade will be free (the 60-70 upgrade was free, but the 85-90 and 70-75 upgrade cost $3000), and they are trying not to get a lot of complaints from those who bought just before the change. But I think it's highly unlikely.

I did some calculations and I believe the 75 packs have the 3rd generation batteries, but supply might be limited and they currently can only do it for the smaller packs. They may also have a stock of the 2nd generation batteries they need to burn off making 90 packs. When the supply of 3rd generation batteries is sufficient and they run out of 2nd gen batteries, they will switch over the larger pack to 100.

If true, it ticks me off a bit because I pick up my 90D on Monday. I've been hoping it will have a 100 Kwh battery, but I doubt it at this point.

For what it's worth, the configuration on my car says "Range Upgrade - Included". I think with the used and inventory cars they are just saying no range upgrade on the 90s to make it clear because the 90s have only one battery size, and there is an option between 70 and 75 on the lower end.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
For what it's worth, the configuration on my car says "Range Upgrade - Included". I think with the used and inventory cars they are just saying no range upgrade on the 90s to make it clear because the 90s have only one battery size, and there is an option between 70 and 75 on the lower end.

This is the best explanation I have seen regarding that Model S listing by the OP. Makes sense!

I doubt the new 90s are software limited. There is no reason to do that and not tell people right away except as an outside possibility the 100 upgrade will be free (the 60-70 upgrade was free, but the 85-90 and 70-75 upgrade cost $3000), and they are trying not to get a lot of complaints from those who bought just before the change. But I think it's highly unlikely.

I did some calculations and I believe the 75 packs have the 3rd generation batteries, but supply might be limited and they currently can only do it for the smaller packs. They may also have a stock of the 2nd generation batteries they need to burn off making 90 packs. When the supply of 3rd generation batteries is sufficient and they run out of 2nd gen batteries, they will switch over the larger pack to 100.

If true, it ticks me off a bit because I pick up my 90D on Monday. I've been hoping it will have a 100 Kwh battery, but I doubt it at this point.

I suspect that the "range upgrade" business on the 90s is simply an error of some sort, albeit a curious one. But - I would not be at all surprised if some of the 90s have 100 kwh cells. I could certainly see Tesla putting them out there to validate the durability of a new cell chemistry under normal operating conditions. I'm curious about why they didn't open up about the 70/75 right when the refresh was announced.

so I'm looking to pick up an inventory care this weekend so i called and spoke to the salesman.. he looked it up it use to be a p85 that was upgraded to p90 hince the " range update" however its odd cause the p90 has " no range update" listed and the p85 that was upgraded to a 90 still cost more than the 90 out right with less miles

So a quick translation:
The Dutch RDW approves type numbers so vehicles can be sold across Europe. Their type lists are public and can be viewed by anyone.
In this list the type 100D and 100X are listed under Tesla.

Interesting...

My P90DL, manufactured in 2/2016 (vin 128xxx) DID come with the range upgrade. My full charge was 270mi when I took delivery.

upload_2016-8-12_20-22-12.png

Reactions: msnow and Tech_Guy