Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Value Loss 70k in 1 year.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 X90D depreciated a bit over 40% in 3½ years, retaining almost 60% of its value. That's based on Tesla's trade-in credit for a new Long Range S. According to your math, was I better off buying than leasing?

Model X's have held their value better than the Model S. Aside from the AP1/AP2 change made shortly after the Model X was released, it hasn't really had any major hardware changes that have impacted its value.

I paid $120,000 for my Model S in 2015. Tesla offered me $61,000 when they were trying to get me to upgrade to a new one less than 2 years after a leased it. This was after AP2 was released and the front end changed. I can only imagine what it would be today being that the price of a new one declined over 15%. I could buy the same car today, new, which is a far superior car to my 2015, for $105,000 and have a bigger battery. As noted, they sold my exact car for just over $50,000 as a CPO, so the trade in offer certainly would have been notably less than that. Well over 60% in 3 years.

If they're really offering you 60% for your car after 3 1/2 years, considering the price reductions for the Model X too, I'd be all over that in 2 seconds flat. The new MS & MX are far superior to even a 2017 car. That's a hell of a deal and should take it, NOW! IF, big IF, they'll really give you that for it. Even for the more limited Model X, that's still a very high, almost unbelievable "TRADE IN" offer from Tesla. Don't know what you paid for your car, but there's a bunch of 2016 90D X's on their CPO website for in the $60,000+ range. So, 60%, is a hell of a deal for you if you can get that.

And the "90" battery was a bust, compared to the 85 battery. Offered no real world range improvement, yet they charged $3,000 for it. Mine was a 90 too, was no better than the 85 car I got rid of for it. Have the 100D battery and it's just a teeny bit better, by about 100 miles!!! LOL

Last edited:
If they're really offering you 60% for your car after 3 1/2 years, considering the price reductions for the Model X too, I'd be all over that in 2 seconds flat. The new MS & MX are far superior to even a 2017 car. That's a hell of a deal and should take it, NOW! ...there's a bunch of 2016 90D X's on their CPO website for in the $60,000+ range. So, 60%, is a hell of a deal for you if you can get that.
Yup, it took me only a few seconds to accept the deal, about 10 days ago. And to be fair, it was a bit under 60%, like I said.

I had planned to get a bid from Carmax, but once I saw Tesla's number I figured it would be a waste of time, what with the 6¼% sales tax savings and all. Tesla was very competitive and made it real easy, doing everything on the web.

No car should cost anyone 70k for 1 year or $5800 per month. Should it? Guess I should of leased....Lol. I could of leased a Lambo for $4,000 per month and saved money! oops.

Think of it like a stock that has gone down in value. You haven't lost anything until you sell it.

If you have no intention of selling it (and I don't know why you would want to sell that car) then keep thinking that you are driving a 144K car and you will probably be happier. Like @maximizese stated above "I for one do not care much for the monetary value of my things (with the exception of my investments) but for the utility value."

I'm seriously considering a lease if I get a new Model S since I have a 2017 S 90D and already want to trade it in but would be taking about a 50% hit on the value. Doing the math a 2 year lease would have been cheaper. Given how fast Tesla innovates and that EVs are still fairly new tech it may be higher than normal depreciation if you buy at the wrong time.

I'm seriously considering a lease if I get a new Model S since I have a 2017 S 90D and already want to trade it in but would be taking about a 50% hit on the value. Doing the math a 2 year lease would have been cheaper. Given how fast Tesla innovates and that EVs are still fairly new tech it may be higher than normal depreciation if you buy at the wrong time.

Agreed. I would think long and hard before purchasing a 80-90K car with the rate of innovation and change. Lease it if you need to change for the latest bits. Your S90D had to be a pretty penny if you are down 50% over msrp.