Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Ventilated Seats? Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did someone notice that Model S P100D has a different seat than the other versions? When I click the premium package, it looks like it has ventilated seat now but it is not on any detail anywhere (unless I am missing it).

models.PNG

My DS just informed me that you can indeed get the premium upgrades package with the ultra white seats. Just no ventilation for the white seats...

You're not missing anything. I got a P100D and was super stoked about this feature. In reality, they suck. Or maybe they blow. I'm not sure about the direction of airflow because it's imperceptible either way. The only thing that is perceptible is the fan noise when they're on, which dwarfs the cabin A/C and even the road noise at most speeds. Total fail.

You're not missing anything. I got a P100D and was super stoked about this feature. In reality, they suck. Or maybe they blow. I'm not sure about the direction of airflow because it's imperceptible either way. The only thing that is perceptible is the fan noise when they're on, which dwarfs the cabin A/C and even the road noise at most speeds. Total fail.
That's disappointing to hear. Have you had them checked out? A blocked fan path might explain both the lack of ventilation and noise issues.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18

That's disappointing to hear. Have you had them checked out? A blocked fan path might explain both the lack of ventilation and noise issues.

Tesla is sucking air, not blowing - which in theory should create a vacuum against your clothing/skin, which will increase the evaporation rate of sweat/moisture and thus more rapidly cool you down - or at the very least prevent sweaty back.

• Informative
Screen Shot 2016-10-12 at 2.42.55 PM.png
Huh. Interesting. Well that explains it.

Disclaimer: I am not a scientist. The theory I just gave you is encountered by anyone taking an undergraduate physics or chemistry class when they get to the topic of vapor pressure. Essentially, the less pressure the atmosphere exerts on a liquid, the more rapidly the liquid will transition to gas.

Now, in reality, how effective sucking air away from your skin is at actually keeping your dry and non-sweaty? I don't know.

Vapor pressure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Informative
I just ordered a P100D and got the black interior rather than white solely because of the ventilated seats. My order isn't final until Friday. Should I switch back to white before Friday if the ventilation is going to be as bad as described above?

I just ordered a P100D and got the black interior rather than white solely because of the ventilated seats. My order isn't final until Friday. Should I switch back to white before Friday if the ventilation is going to be as bad as described above?

Best thing to do would be to visit a showroom that has a model with ventilated seats and sit in them for a few minutes. If you're expecting the ventilation to cool a black interior on a hot day, I do think you'll be disappointed.

• Informative
Best thing to do would be to visit a showroom that has a model with ventilated seats and sit in them for a few minutes. If you're expecting the ventilation to cool a black interior on a hot day, I do think you'll be disappointed.

Yes, that would be good if I could see in person, but they didn't have any P models in stock when I was there so nothing with the ventilated seats that I could try out (everything had been sold as part of the quarter end push).