Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D vs 100D - $37K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a P100D in mid-December with a late February-March delivery window. With the 100D announced this week, it seems that the only differences are the option for ventilated seats, faster acceleration, slightly less range, and lifetime supercharging. The price for this premium is $37K.

Am I missing anything? Ventilated seats are nice, but it seems like it would take a lot of cross country driving to justify $37K for unlimited charging and faster acceleration. What I'm struggling with is whether I should cancel the P100D and order a 100D instead, even though it seems to mean the loss of the $2500. I knew the 100D would cost less, but not THIS much less...

Reactions: IdaX
There was a 40K difference when I ordered my 90D to the P100D. Only difference was slightly better range and faster acceleration. It was not worth the 40K for me but many see it as a status symbol and maybe even some people have money to burn. I do not plan on needing 2.4 seconds to get on the highway and I am not taking it to the track so the $40k made no sense to me. Now that the 100D is $3k more than the 90D I would have taken the range for the $3k in a heartbeat but I would still not fork over $37k for the better 0-60 times.

I think Tesla is managing to piss off both 90D customers and P100D customers at the same time with the pricing on the 100D. The 100D should be more than a $3k premium over the 90D.

There was a 40K difference when I ordered my 90D to the P100D. Only difference was slightly better range and faster acceleration. It was not worth the 40K for me but many see it as a status symbol and maybe even some people have money to burn. I do not plan on needing 2.4 seconds to get on the highway and I am not taking it to the track so the $40k made no sense to me. Now that the 100D is $3k more than the 90D I would have taken the range for the $3k in a heartbeat but I would still not fork over $37k for the better 0-60 times.

I think Tesla is managing to piss off both 90D customers and P100D customers at the same time with the pricing on the 100D. The 100D should be more than a $3k premium over the 90D.

I agree 100%

My first reaction to this was "oh good!" followed by "3k is totally reasonable".

I don't think Tesla should be making pricing decisions based on whether folks who have already put in orders will be pissed off. That's looking backwards and is generally bad for a company. They need to price their cars for the NEXT customer, moving forward, in a way that is sane. Right now the lineup is:

75D: Baseline
90D: +10k
100D: +3k

The $/kW/h ratio there clearly isn't linear, but then again there's at least some speculation that the 90D has the same pack as the 100D (or will, moving forward) making this much more akin to the 60-->75 software unlock.

As a new customer, if I was considering +$10k to move to the 90, I'd almost certainly throw in an extra $3k for that last 10. Tesla gets a higher average selling price, I get longer range (and probably higher customer satisfaction) -- it's a win/win. This pricing seems smart to me.

Finally, the P models have always been about extravagance, status, and fun. For some, $37k is a reasonable price for those things. For others it's completely unrealistic. Given the number of P models I see out and about, however, I don't think the pricing premium is market irrational.

I ordered a P100D in mid-December with a late February-March delivery window. With the 100D announced this week, it seems that the only differences are the option for ventilated seats, faster acceleration, slightly less range, and lifetime supercharging. The price for this premium is $37K.

Am I missing anything? Ventilated seats are nice, but it seems like it would take a lot of cross country driving to justify $37K for unlimited charging and faster acceleration. What I'm struggling with is whether I should cancel the P100D and order a 100D instead, even though it seems to mean the loss of the $2500. I knew the 100D would cost less, but not THIS much less...

unless things changed you should be able to pay a 500 dollar change fee and simply just modify your order and still not lose your place in line

If you are comparing and doing price comparisons between 100D and P100D then you're doing the wrong thing. Which means you are not really shopping for a performance model.

If performance cars are your thing then you will be comparing between comparable gasoline performance cars and find the pricing quite competitive.

Reactions: MXWing
If you are comparing and doing price comparisons between 100D and P100D then you're doing the wrong thing. Which means you are not really shopping for a performance model.

If performance cars are your thing then you will be comparing between comparable gasoline performance cars and find the pricing quite competitive.

At the time I ordered, the P100D was the only way to get the additional 30+ miles of range - not a small thing, since it means getting between Boston and NYC without any worry. But as fun as the acceleration is, I *do* live in Boston, where the speed limit is 25 mph citywide...

Reactions: flar
You're forgetting the all wheel drive, active spoiler and red caliper brakes.....

90D and P100D are both AWD... I can paint my Calipers Red and even add a spoiler for $1500. The $30k+ difference is really only the 0-60 times differences which drivers that use this as a daily driver in the city will never use. The 100D is the better way to go unless you have money to burn or will take it to the track..

90D and P100D are both AWD... I can paint my Calipers Red and even add a spoiler for $1500. The $30k+ difference is really only the 0-60 times differences which drivers that use this as a daily driver in the city will never use. The 100D is the better way to go unless you have money to burn or will take it to the track..

I sttand corrected....I always thought the P was for allwheel drive.....

• Funny
Reactions: dragonxt
According to my local delivery rep, I can pay $500 to change the order to a 100D, the differences being:
1. I would no longer be eligible for free, unlimited supercharging.

2. My vehicle would not be built with ventilated seats.

3. Estimated delivery would likely be late March (compared to late February-March).

4. My car would be super super slow. ;)

So, I would apparently lose my place in line, but late March isn't the end of the world.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
Okay, I'm going to try to change the order, and hopefully just incur the $500 fee and not lose my place in line. I try to live splendidly, but the fact that I'm thinking about the price difference might indicate I'm not quite in the financial place to live ludicrously.

I like your thinking. No doubt you have some money. However, there's money and then there's MONEY.
MONEY is when you can't be bothered to know the price. Buy whatever 'fancies your eye' and your attendant opens up the suitcase of cash once you leave the store.

I took the difference between a 60D and a P100D and put it into TSLA.

Hopefully only one of them is a depreciating asset. :D