Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D vs 100D - $37K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
great point.

a 2017 MB GLS550 starts at $94k.
a 2017 MB GLS63AMG starts at $124k.

$30k difference. for an additional 128hp and 45lb-ft torque. i'm pretty sure the power step up from the 100D to the P100D is more than that.
It isn't only about the power and stat times. There's a lot more that goes into it. If anything, it's a semi rip from Tesla because of what you get in comparison. Now I love me some unnecessary luxurious comfort, but it isn't everything. Or else I wouldn't be in the X.

great point.

a 2017 MB GLS550 starts at $94k.
a 2017 MB GLS63AMG starts at $124k.

$30k difference. for an additional 128hp and 45lb-ft torque. i'm pretty sure the power step up from the 100D to the P100D is more than that.

While the AMG upgrade includes a lot more than performance, the amount of money put into an ICE performance doesn't really buy you much compared to an electric. In this case we have:

The upgrade on the Mercedes will get you from 4.8s 0-60 down to 4.3s.

The same upgrade in the Tesla takes you from 4.8 to 2.8.

Here are some of the differences between the GLS550 and the GLS63AMG. These things are standard on the AMG, pricing for GLS550:

• Panoramic Roof: $1090
  • Heated 2nd row seats $600
  • Driver assist package: $1375
  • Active curve system: $2900

Probably overlooked a few small things, then some body changes, the mentioned suspension and stuff like leather seats which don't seem to be comparable 1:1 but considering the upgrade option on the S550 are $4200 one gets an idea.

I'd say you get at least 10k worth of additional options on the AMG Model without even considering the performance and hand build engine.

Here are some of the differences between the GLS550 and the GLS63AMG. These things are standard on the AMG, pricing for GLS550:

• Panoramic Roof: $1090
  • Heated 2nd row seats $600
  • Driver assist package: $1375
  • Active curve system: $2900

Probably overlooked a few small things, then some body changes, the mentioned suspension and stuff like leather seats which don't seem to be comparable 1:1 but considering the upgrade option on the S550 are $4200 one gets an idea.

I'd say you get at least 10k worth of additional options on the AMG Model without even considering the performance and hand build engine.
Agree with you the tesla value proposition of 100d vs p100d not as strong as Amg vs non. Besides active aero, red brake calipers, more copper coils in the rear motor housing and software you are not getting more tangible product.

Agree with you the tesla value proposition of 100d vs p100d not as strong as Amg vs non. Besides active aero, red brake calipers, more copper coils in the rear motor housing and software you are not getting more tangible product.
Which is why the P100D /P90D/P85D depreciate precipitously in their first 2-3 years. Like horribly.

The 'regular' cars don't depreciate nearly as badly. So buy new - regular. Buy Used P.

Before deciding which X to buy, I test drove all of them i.e. X75D, X100D and XP100D. While indeed the straight line performance of the the P model is staggering, I quickly realised that I would hardly ever use it in the real world. It's not like the 75D and 100D are slow cars and even using their full potential performance is not often necessary to despatch most other traffic. Before the 75D was uncorked I was all for getting the 100D (I didn't really need the extra range, but I thought the performance upgrade was worth it). But after the uncorking, I honestly couldn't tell the 75D and 100D apart in the real world, although I did notice the handling on the 75D was a little sharper and more composed under heavy braking due to the 150 kg weight saving.

So for me I would only have chosen the X P100D if cash was of absolutely zero significance. I can easily live without the range or performance. I'm actually amazed Tesla upgraded the X75D performance to more or less match the X100D. I thought they'd pitched the relative performance of the various models about right in the first place.

As a final thought, it would be nice if they had something in-between the X100D and XP100D as it's such a huge step up in power and cost. I might have been tempted to pay for a lesser "power" upgrade, say 0-60 in the sub 4 sec range for example at a more affordable cost. But it's all pretty crazy talk when your large family SUV is already a sub 5 sec 0-60 beast in base trim!