Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D vs my P85D: if you're looking at CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local Tesla store let me have a P100D for an overnight rental. I can't say I didn't have a great time, because I did.

But from my experience, even though the acceleration from 0 was noticeably faster, it wasn't enough to justify the $148k price on the model I drove, compared to what I paid for my P85D CPO. The interior was basically the same.

The biggest differences in the P100D I was given, compared to my P85D, was the extra range (315 miles vs 254 - at 100% charge), and more torque at higher speeds, and obviously the front fascia without the nose cone.

But neither one really affects me enough to want an upgrade.

The extra range would be nice, but the listed 2.5 0-60 from the P100D vs the listed 3.2 0-60 from the P85D is a 0.7 sec difference. I know there are more performance upgrades, (especially at higher speeds), but I'm writing this post to help potential P85D buyers. I had a lot of fun in the P100D, but still felt like I was at home when I sat back down into the seat of my P85D. You're not making a bad decision by buying CPO.

Just make sure you're doing your research when buying CPO. Right now, the prices are far too high. And if you're buying a P85D, make sure it has the + suspension. Every build before March 2015, but most models in March still had it.

Last edited:
I keep seeing recent references to 3.2 seconds for the P85D but it change in early 2015 with a software download that improved it from 3.2 to 3.1 and applied retroactively to P85Ds made before that.

p85d31.JPG

Of course the 691 hp was a lie and was later retroactivity downgraded to 463.

Have you thought about spending $5K to upgrade your P85D to Ludicrous. That brings it down to 2.85 seconds and is noticeably faster.

I keep seeing recent references to 3.2 seconds for the P85D but it change in early 2015 with a software download that improved it from 3.2 to 3.1 and applied retroactively to P85Ds made before that.

View attachment 287089

Of course the 691 hp was a lie and was later retroactivity downgraded to 463.

Have you thought about spending $5K to upgrade your P85D to Ludicrous. That brings it down to 2.85 seconds and is noticeably faster.
Yes, but I don't believe the L upgrade is available anymore for P85D's.

The big deal is the range, and of course the new vs used car. The range can be irrelevant if you never plan on taking the car on a trip, or it could be a deal breaker. The P100Ds are all newer cars which have a ton of differences beyond just the nosecone. Center console, seats, interior options, colors, materials, AP2, LTE, smaller frunk and so on.

The big deal is the range, and of course the new vs used car. The range can be irrelevant if you never plan on taking the car on a trip, or it could be a deal breaker. The P100Ds are all newer cars which have a ton of differences beyond just the nosecone. Center console, seats, interior options, colors, materials, AP2, LTE, smaller frunk and so on.
I took my P85D on a coast-to-coast trip with no range issues whatsoever. 6000 miles in 2 weeks - 5200 of it in 8 days. 100D range can be useful in some specific driving situations, but probably not most. This is why for our second Model S we knew 75D will work just fine (theoretically it actually has a higher rated range than P85D :)) - and it does.

You are right about the P100D having no nosecone, center console and newer seats. Not sure what you mean by "interior options, colors, materials" unless you mean P85D had more options available - more exterior colors (free solid white), more interior combinations (only 4 today, back then over 20 IIRC), actual leather vs. simulated leather, alcantara dashboard if you wanted it, solid roof, yacht floor or center console vs. only console now. AP2 is still not on par with AP1 (see any cars in adjacent lanes on AP2 yet?). LTE came standard on some P85D's, others can upgrade for $500. And yes, P100D has a smaller frunk than P85D (bio-weapon mode). And of course P100D actually delivers the spec power, while P85D owners got scammed by Tesla marketing (when they listed 691hp in the car specs, they conveniently "forgot" to mention that it only applies to the motors, but the battery and wiring limits it to 463hp - a fact which they did not admit to until they got sued and settled in Europe and P85D was out of production by then, so it didn't hurt new sales).

The biggest difference of course would be the price.

I took my P85D on a coast-to-coast trip with no range issues whatsoever. 6000 miles in 2 weeks - 5200 of it in 8 days. 100D range can be useful in some specific driving situations, but probably not most. This is why for our second Model S we knew 75D will work just fine (theoretically it actually has a higher rated range than P85D :)) - and it does.

You are right about the P100D having no nosecone, center console and newer seats. Not sure what you mean by "interior options, colors, materials" unless you mean P85D had more options available - more exterior colors (free solid white), more interior combinations (only 4 today, back then over 20 IIRC), actual leather vs. simulated leather, alcantara dashboard if you wanted it, solid roof, yacht floor or center console vs. only console now. AP2 is still not on par with AP1 (see any cars in adjacent lanes on AP2 yet?).

Heh, we did the exact opposite. Got a 85 for our first car, decided the range wasn't enough and went with the P100D for the second. The interior trims have changed, before you could do whatever combination you wanted, now its limited. There was gray before now there is white. Same with the exterior there was dark green, dark blue and brown before, now there is a brighter blue.

The interior trim did change -- no leather...:( and in my case, the new one doesn't have a Light Harmonic amp, enhanced speakers and enhanced sub, or aftermarket LED upgrades, Twin 1080P Blackview cameras, or 4 power plugs; frunk, trunk, front passenger, rear passenger, and ten (two for each passenger) USB 2.5 AMP power outlets, 120 volt 1500 watt clean sine wave inverter, Lithium Ion 12 volt battery, or PVD black chrome wheels, or adjustable rear camber link, or a bike hitch, or trailer wiring for towing, or HuberOptic tint, or Opticoat, or grocery hooks in the back, or suit coat hangers, or Spotify, or Waze.

No thanks. I'll save my dollars for the Tesla that does this or the first competitor who provides apps I can download like APPLE (just buy Tesla already!!!!)

Additionally after that assessment, I have an awesome P85+ and can't part with the suspension and the rear wheel drive. My wife has the 90D and the car drives completely different, not bad, just kinda numb and boring.

Lastly, in our county we get taxed on car value annually. With 7 cars and two of them being Teslas that comes out to $5K per year in taxes,(financially raped by Fairfax County every year) each year the Tesla's depreciate that number gets lower, but I can't see the value of starting over again with a more expensive car with even higher taxes and very few upgrades that really matter. Yes I could launch like the space shuttle, but I do that in my P85+ and no one keeps up anyway and the ones who try sound like 8 tin cans slamming up and down like an exploding clown car. Until someone starts beating me at the lights - I'll stick with my old school P85+ and stay away from the rare P100D - once they drop below $80K on the used market, I pick one up and spend the monies moving my good stuff over to the P100D.

Thank you for your summary. I have a March 2015 P85D which I love, and consider a highly desirable Unicorn:
- grey leather interior, no longer available -NG seats all around, no longer available -plus suspension, no longer available -ludicrous upgrade (gen2), no longer available - LTE upgrade - integrated console upgrade -solid roof, so less noise no rattles no leaks, no longer available -alcantera dash, no longer available -80% SOC range = 200 miles -> 100% should be 250 - < 30K miles - Opticoat Pro . Btw it is MC Red, in better than new condition, front and rear dash cams, tinted tastefully in all glass. I occasionally consider trading it in, but as you have stated, there really isn't much improvement other than range (and now the newer center screen/CPU), and an upgrade would cost significant $$. However, if someone offered me a boatload of cash, I might change my mind .....

Last edited:
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Just make sure you're doing your research when buying CPO. Right now, the prices are far too high. And if you're buying a P85D, make sure it has the + suspension. Every build before March 2015, but most models in March still had it.

While I know some like it, we actually appreciate not having the plus suspension in our P85D. We prefer the comfier air suspension ride of our car without the plus suspension so the plus suspension is not for everyone...

I do agree with you about the CPO prices being crazy right now. Definitely not a good time to buy a CPO -- P85D or otherwise.

While we love our car, we will upgrade as soon as Tesla refreshes the interior of the Model S. The cold weather takes a toll on the range and I sometimes find it frustrating to slow down to conserve range. With a P100D or whatever the next battery capacity will be, it will be luxurious to be able to enjoy the car a bit more with less concern about range.

• Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
Thank you for your summary. I have a March 2015 P85D which I love, and consider a highly desirable Unicorn:
- grey leather interior, no longer available -NG seats all around, no longer available -plus suspension, no longer available -ludicrous upgrade (gen2), no longer available - LTE upgrade - integrated console upgrade -solid roof, so less noise no rattles no leaks, no longer available -alcantera dash, no longer available -80% SOC range = 200 miles -> 100% should be 250 - < 30K miles - Opticoat Pro . Btw it is MC Red, in better than new condition, front and rear dash cams, tinted tastefully in all glass. I occasionally consider trading it in, but as you have stated, there really isn't much improvement other than range (and now the newer center screen/CPU), and an upgrade would cost significant $$. However, if someone offered me a boatload of cash, I might change my mind .....
Lol. I have almost an identical car and to be honest there is no rational amount of money you could offer me to let it go.

Anything confirmed before April 10th 2015 IIRC . VIN numbers are not always sequential, but I confirmed on the very day it was removed from design studio, manufactured early May, VIN 84xxx. So if I was to guess, VIN 85000 and later won't have it.

Meaning all P85D’s prior to 84xxx have the plus suspension? As early as the first off the production line?