Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D: what differentiating features would you request?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Anzir

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2012
Central Florida
I had a long discussion with my OA before ordering trying to choose between X100 and P100. He basically said that the performance was basically the main reason to choose, and since this is being written off for business usage I decided I might as well go all the way.

I've owned a few "performance" variants of cars (e.g. M5) and after owning the P for a month I thought Tesla could add a few simple changes to increase the desirability of the $40k upgrade.

1) Red stitching on the steering wheel
2) Red stitching on upper dash
3) Red stitching on door panels
4) P100D instrument cluster option (a selectable option in settings that would change the appearance of the gauges)
5) Red seatbelt stitching

As of now, this is my list of current P100D standard features from my 6/7/18 order:

1) Badging on decklid
2) P100D door sills for front doors
3) P100D on the app and instrument panel
4) Ventilated front seats, perforated rear seats
5) Red brake calipers (uprated?)
6) Black lower dash with white stitching on white interiors
7) PUP (which is now standard across the board)
8) And of course, ludicrous mode!

Anything I missed? What would you add/remove from the wish list? Non-P owners chime in as well for things that would have bumped you up.

I have a similar decision between keeping my P90DL or what it would take to upgrade to a new P100D.

If Tesla would at least come out with some of the following I would consider upgrading to the more expensive version.

Soft close \ automatic doors like the X.
Blind spot detection that actually works (like other high-end cars).
HUD.
Seats with side bolster adjustment.
Coat hooks \ lighted vanity.
Slightly better soundproofing.

I have a similar decision between keeping my P90DL or what it would take to upgrade to a new P100D.

If Tesla would at least come out with some of the following I would consider upgrading to the more expensive version.

Soft close \ automatic doors like the X.
Blind spot detection that actually works (like other high-end cars).
HUD.
Seats with side bolster adjustment.
Coat hooks \ lighted vanity.
Slightly better soundproofing.

Coat hooks should be standard no matter the trim. I think it's such a joke that Tesla has it in their store as an accessory.

I agree on the side bolsters, I know a few people who feel their kidneys are squeezed in the current seats.

I've had HUD on my previous daily driver for the past 3 years and I am constantly ignoring it. I almost forget it's there. I feel the Model 3 should have it standard considering there is no instrument panel, though.

I assume you're talking about the S with the soft close doors.

Coat hooks should be standard no matter the trim. I think it's such a joke that Tesla has it in their store as an accessory.

I agree on the side bolsters, I know a few people who feel their kidneys are squeezed in the current seats.

I assume you're talking about the S with the soft close doors.

Yes, coat hooks should be a standard item. In fact, it is such a standard feature that many carmakers don't bother to list them as a standard feature.

Adjustable side bolsters will also help others from sliding sideways in their seat in the turns.

Yes, the S would need the soft close \ automatic doors as found in the X to make it a compelling upgrade.

IMO, if you don't want the extra performance then you shouldn't get it. That's the ONLY reason to spend the extra money. It's a sleeper car, and doesn't need to be blinged up. People in a 75D do that, and you can on your model too.

No reason to junk up a classy car to tell people I spent more money than you on it. It's the same thinking behind individuals that debadge their S65's, etc etc. They bought the car for themselves, and not to brag.

I'm glad it doesn't have over exaggerated features.

I had a long discussion with my OA before ordering trying to choose between X100 and P100. He basically said that the performance was basically the main reason to choose, and since this is being written off for business usage I decided I might as well go all the way.

I've owned a few "performance" variants of cars (e.g. M5) and after owning the P for a month I thought Tesla could add a few simple changes to increase the desirability of the $40k upgrade.

Anything I missed? What would you add/remove from the wish list? Non-P owners chime in as well for things that would have bumped you up.

Also:
Sport pedals
22" Turbines
Trailer hitch

Would like:
Ability to set custom driving modes
Leather steering wheel
Slightly unique 22" (love Turbines but getting tired of them)
Improved sound proofing
Power frunk open/close
Electric sun screen for hatch (dog hangs out there)

Don't like:
Red stitching
Excessive badging
Any change to the visual......like it as is.

Last edited:
New here, and am planning on ordering an MX for delivery sometime in March 2019. That's when the lease expires on my 2016 BMW 750i. In my mind, I've committed to getting the MX P100D. I live in San Francisco, and also have a place in SoCal, and ply Interstate 5 several times a year between the two, so the 100kwh battery is a no-brainer.

Four of the things I'm going to miss MOST when I leave my 750 for the MX are:

- Surround view when parking
Note: the 7-series is only available in the US in long-wheelbase form, so the car is over 17-feet long. Having these cameras has been a godsend when parking.

- Side-View when nosing out of blind alleyways or my own garage (I back into my parking spot and pull out nose-first into traffic)

- 4-wheel steering
Note: again, the car is hella long, so having all four wheels capable of steering really reduces the turning circle, and makes the car feel a lot smaller and more nimble at speed (changing lanes, etc.)

- HUD
Note: In my opinion, BMW makes the best HUD in the business -- especially in the current 7-Series. I use it waaayyy more than I do the actual gauge cluster. So cool to have nav maps, turn-by-turn instructions, and my music choices right there in my field of view, as well as the posted speed limit and my current speed.

I find myself wishing at least a few of the above features find their way into the MX before I buy. The car is already riddled with cameras, especially if you opt for the full self driving package. Why can't those be used to stitch together a surround view?

Alas, even if none of the above are available, I'm still pulling the trigger. I LOVE everything I've read about the MX (especially the P100D), and have been scouring this forum, YouTube, Vimeo and other services for every scrap of information I can find about the car, and the lifestyle that is Tesla. I'm soooo looking forward to owning one.

BryWay,

My wife's BMW 750i short wheelbase just came off lease as well. The new 750 was too long for her. She opted for leasing a 550i instead of taking my recommendation on a second Tesla.

As you know, BMW does many things well including the items that you mentioned you will miss. Most likely you will not look back as the fast, smooth and efficient drivetrain, absence of noise and gasoline plus other high-tech features conveniences override the shortcomings.

Please report back once you have the Tesla and let us know if my hunch is correct.

1) Red stitching on the steering wheel
2) Red stitching on upper dash
3) Red stitching on door panels
4) P100D instrument cluster option (a selectable option in settings that would change the appearance of the gauges)
5) Red seatbelt stitching

As of now, this is my list of current P100D standard features from my 6/7/18 order:

1) Badging on decklid
2) P100D door sills for front doors
3) P100D on the app and instrument panel
4) Ventilated front seats, perforated rear seats
5) Red brake calipers (uprated?)
6) Black lower dash with white stitching on white interiors
7) PUP (which is now standard across the board)
8) And of course, ludicrous mode!

Honestly, I find the red stitching you propose to be tacky and unappealing but to each his own. I've been in M cars and I find all the M logos to be obnoxiously frivolous.

What I love about the performance Tesla vehicles is how understated they are and you need to know to know what you are looking at and I like it that way...

You are getting the bets car in the world. That's all that matters :)

Reactions: dogldogl
Honestly, I find the red stitching you propose to be tacky and unappealing but to each his own. I've been in M cars and I find all the M logos to be obnoxiously frivolous.

I got the idea from my weekend fun car. It was an additional cost option but worth every penny. And my car is worth more on resale because of it. But it's definitely not for everyone.

I'm definitely not suggesting more logos... just more subtle touches that help it stand out.

Attachments

• 20180902_102010.jpg
    20180902_102010.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Love
Reactions: TexasRat and P85_DA
IMO, if you don't want the extra performance then you shouldn't get it. That's the ONLY reason to spend the extra money. It's a sleeper car, and doesn't need to be blinged up. People in a 75D do that, and you can on your model too.

No reason to junk up a classy car to tell people I spent more money than you on it. It's the same thinking behind individuals that debadge their S65's, etc etc. They bought the car for themselves, and not to brag.

I'm glad it doesn't have over exaggerated features.

I debadged my P100D as well.

Poll: debadge P100D?

But the idea is subtle hints that don't call a lot of attention. I guess I'm just used to a certain number of significant upgrades for top of the line models. My E39 M5 is a sleeper for sure, but still had quite a few differences that only those "in the know" can catch.

Attachments

• 20180824_184031.jpg
    20180824_184031.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 76
Lightweight, monoblock forged alloy wheels standard (arachnids specific only to the P)
Weight reduction program using carbon fiber in place of aluminum.
Carbon fiber seat backs
Carbon fiber window trim
Carbon fiber front and rear valance
Oversized cooling system for track driving and towing
HUD
WAZE in Media Control Unit (MCU)
SPOTIFY in MCU
A much better digital audio processor with a true high-resolution music player, bit-to-bit playback up to 32bit/384kHz and Native DSD (DSD256) with Dual AKM AK4497EQ DAC chips and octa-core CPU for outstanding response and performance
Noise Cancelling
Sound insulation
Sound insulated glass
Sound cancelling motor/inverter monitors
More high power USB ports and 120 volt power inverter
Biometric start (Like iPhone X)
Drink holders that don't make me have t-rex arms

Also if you buy a P you get priority everything - and a P loaner when you car is in for service. Also a P specific service line now the the mongolian hordes have arrived with the Model 3...

Last edited:
The P only provides much better acceleration performance, but that’s only one of four primary directions - the other three being left, right, and braking. As an auto enthusiast, would have spent if the performance increase was more comprehensive. Bigger/better brakes, significantly updated suspension (ideally with more performance-focused software driving modes) and wider& stickier wheels/tires with more front negative camber stock. For like $5k incremental parts cost on Tesla’s side, could have doubled the package’s value to me.

The P is more like a “Hellcat” sort of option in that it’s all motor; less like the BMW M or Porsche GT options which cover all aspects of performance.