TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P100D without Ludicrous

Discussion in 'Model S' started by yamanote, Dec 28, 2016.

1. yamanote

yamanote Member

Apologies if this has been discussed already - am on mobile but I did a quick search and look through but couldn't find anything on the subject.

Is anyone aware of being given the option to remove Ludicrous from an inventory P100D? I know this was possible in the P90D days but did not know it was possible with the 100. I was given this option by sales on an inventory 100 to reduce the price by approx 10k, allegedly as part of an EOQ push. What happens to the performance numbers? Does it become an "insane" car? Thanks for any insight.

2. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Interesting.... I would think there would just not be an option there to change the mode, but I could be wrong.

3. Ormond

Ormond Member

If it's not insane or ludicrous, it's merely "mildly daffy." I'm pretty sure that's the clinical term.

• Like x 1
  4. mike-415

mike-415 Member

Ludicrous mode is a hardware change. It would be extremely odd for them to remove it.

5. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Lud isn't a hardware change on 90's and 100's, it's software. It was only hardware on 85's. I was offered the same option on the P100DL that I just bought, but I opted to keep Lud. A P100D would be an odd beast. Having said that, I suppose if what you really want is something as close to a 100D as you can get with non-metered supercharging, that's the way to go.

• Like x 1
  6. mike-415

mike-415 Member

I wasn't aware of that. Can you provide a source for this info? I've never seen it confirmed.

7. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I was offered the same option to remove for the same price last week. And if they could have matched my build otherwise, I would have taken it. They came back to me again yesterday with a closer match and again an option to remove luda.

8. Lawsteve

Lawsteve MCATDT

I'm sitting in the Tampa Service Center waiting for delivery of my P100d inventory vehicle with Ludicrous disabled. I was told they can do it if the miles on the car are over 100.

Although it might be "odd" I really don't need the extra speed, yet will have a car that will have it available if someone wants to buy it in a few years and add Ludicrous back in.

• Like x 1
  9. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Hi, can you explain this to me? I was ambivalent about luda (love cars but not a race enthusiast) so I thought I might be willing to trade it out for the cash if the builld was otherwise on point.

10. andrewket

My thought process was that most people in the market to buy a P100D are interested in the performance characteristics, and if they are able to afford a $140k car they can also afford a $150k car. I'd ask Tesla if you or a second owner can later decide to upgrade to Luda. I was told they would remove it pre-sale if I wanted, but that I would not be able to add it in the future. There currently isn't an option for P100D->P100DL in the price book. More often than not I sell my cars privately when I upgrade, and I didn't want to reduce the potential market for the car because it didn't have Luda.

Edit: My logic is similar to why I think people should always order subzero or the equivalent package. Most people live in climates where it gets cold 25%+ of the year. I know I would never consider a car without heated seats.

• Informative x 2
  11. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

OK, thank you. I knew I didin't fit the 'most people' mold as I only care about the performance of P, plus range of 100. If they do find my build, I like the idea of ditching luda and replacing my 0-40 mph EZGO. And if they don't, my order is in the queue and good to go. win-win

12. andrewket

I just saw your signature; you're looking at an XP100D? If that's the case my opinion changes. The market for P100D non-L X's I suspect will be much larger than the equivalent S.

13. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Just an FYI: Heated front seats are standard on all Tesla cars

14. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Yes I am. That makes sense, its not exactly the proverbial race buggy is it?
    Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on anything else, and you clarified. Thanks again.

15. Ormond

Ormond Member

Congratulations! Post photos later.

16. andrewket

What I'm really missing between my early specimen P85D compared to the P100D is the + suspension and sway bars. In hard turns I can definitely feel the difference. But this is a topic for a different thread...

• Like x 1
  17. andrewket

Yeah, I should have been more precise. I'm also spoiled now with the heated steering wheel. Gotta have that!