Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100d X Full Charge - 161 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok what am I doing wrong?

I knew I was going to be running from softball game to soccer to softball to soccer today so I put the charge at Max. Put it on chill mode, range mode, and 60% was on highway (75mph average).

I know going 75mph causes much more drain, had to do it because of the time crunch, but starting with 300+ on my dash and finishing with 161 (made it home at 11 miles left) is just concerning for using this as a family vehicle.

Car was loaded up with 2 adults, two small children, and some gear so the weight was more than normal too. Trying to give as much info and be fair about it, we definitely put some pressure on the battery today but that kind of loss still just seems wrong. Also, I do have 22" rims.

Am I doing something wrong? Are my expectations out of wack? For $150k+ this seems a little jacked up. Any tips, tricks, or just comprehension is appreciated.

Your 22” wheels reduces range 10%.
Check your tires pressures. Should be at least 42psi cold. If you were using AC at lot it can reduce range another 5%. Hills/mountains are also big range reducers. On my MX 100D we usually can only get 245 miles of actual range with 4 adults in the car and driving 75mph.

What was your trip wh/mi?

Reactions: buttershrimp
That's disconcerting. I've never actually gone more than 50-60 miles in a trip so I can't state my experience with my P100D (also with 22"s) but 161 miles with 11 remaining is bonkers. I find myself averaging around 400-420 Wh/mile in mixed usage, but 25% of driving to and from my area of town involves highways where I'm averaging 75MPH.

Your 22” wheels reduces range 10%.
Check your tires pressures. Should be at least 42psi cold. If you were using AC at lot it can reduce range another 5%. Hills/mountains are also big range reducers. On my MX 100D we usually can only get 245 miles of actual range with 4 adults in the car and driving 75mph.

What was your trip wh/mi?
It’s flat land so no mountains. Definitely a good idea to check the tire pressure. It was hot so we had it on at around 65 in the car for most of the day. So there should be loss there for sure.

I have never gotten 245 under any conditions. I’m jealous.

78.4 kWH
478 wh/mi

• Helpful
Reactions: Big Earl
That's disconcerting. I've never actually gone more than 50-60 miles in a trip so I can't state my experience with my P100D (also with 22"s) but 161 miles with 11 remaining is bonkers. I find myself averaging around 400-420 Wh/mile in mixed usage, but 25% of driving to and from my area of town involves highways where I'm averaging 75MPH.
Are you running the ac? What mode are you in (chill, sport, Luda)?

Man I normally run at 500 wh/mi

Ok what am I doing wrong?

I know going 75mph causes much more drain, had to do it because of the time crunch, but starting with 300+ on my dash and finishing with 161 (made it home at 11 miles left) is just concerning for using this as a family vehicle.

I'm lost. Where did the 161 number come from? You said you made it home at 11 miles left. You started with 289 (per your correction). At what point did you get 161?

When you were driving, were you using EAP/TACC? I noticed a huge difference in wh/mi when not using my foot, even if I try to maintain the same pace as the car.

400 whr/mi is a lot. I would set to percentage not miles, rated not ideal. Put the power meter in the dash and monitor instant usage. Regen is not as efficient as is using the energy so avoid it by not accel hard then regen hard. My MS75D is consistently in the 230 range at 50 mph and 265 at highway speeds up to 85

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony
I'm lost. Where did the 161 number come from? You said you made it home at 11 miles left. You started with 289 (per your correction). At what point did you get 161?

When you were driving, were you using EAP/TACC? I noticed a huge difference in wh/mi when not using my foot, even if I try to maintain the same pace as the car.
Ah! I could see the confusion, sorry! I traveled 161 miles today on a full charge. I had 11 miles left when i got home.

Started with 289
Drove 161
Had 11 miles left on the “tank”

It’s flat land so no mountains. Definitely a good idea to check the tire pressure. It was hot so we had it on at around 65 in the car for most of the day. So there should be loss there for sure.

I have never gotten 245 under any conditions. I’m jealous.

78.4 kWH
478 wh/mi

I’m also confused about the 78 kWh usage when we have 100 kWh packs. I see this too and I always think where the other 22 kWh went. It’s crazy to me

Reactions: Kacey Green
Ah! I could see the confusion, sorry! I traveled 161 miles today on a full charge. I had 11 miles left when i got home.

Started with 289
Drove 161
Had 11 miles left on the “tank”

Suggestion: purchase Teslafi and track your driving habits. Best SW out there for Tesla stats.

Btw: if you’re using a “heavy” foot on the P including fast launches, it will eat range miles.