TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P100d X Full Charge - 161 miles

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by golfbern, Aug 25, 2018.

1. golfbern

golfbern Member

Ok what am I doing wrong?

I knew I was going to be running from softball game to soccer to softball to soccer today so I put the charge at Max. Put it on chill mode, range mode, and 60% was on highway (75mph average).

I know going 75mph causes much more drain, had to do it because of the time crunch, but starting with 300+ on my dash and finishing with 161 (made it home at 11 miles left) is just concerning for using this as a family vehicle.

Car was loaded up with 2 adults, two small children, and some gear so the weight was more than normal too. Trying to give as much info and be fair about it, we definitely put some pressure on the battery today but that kind of loss still just seems wrong. Also, I do have 22" rims.

Am I doing something wrong? Are my expectations out of wack? For $150k+ this seems a little jacked up. Any tips, tricks, or just comprehension is appreciated.

2. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

a P100D Model X is rated for 289 mies, not sure how you're getting 300+ on your dash. Was that set to ideal miles?

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. golfbern

golfbern Member

Sorry you are correct, that was an oversight. It actually shows 289 at max. Ill update with an edit.

• Like x 1
  4. TexasTeslaRacing

Your 22” wheels reduces range 10%.
    Check your tires pressures. Should be at least 42psi cold. If you were using AC at lot it can reduce range another 5%. Hills/mountains are also big range reducers. On my MX 100D we usually can only get 245 miles of actual range with 4 adults in the car and driving 75mph.

What was your trip wh/mi?

• Like x 1
  5. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

What you paid for the car doesn’t change the laws of physics. Energy consumption increases exponentially with speed. And if range was such a concern, why get the P?

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  6. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

That's disconcerting. I've never actually gone more than 50-60 miles in a trip so I can't state my experience with my P100D (also with 22"s) but 161 miles with 11 remaining is bonkers. I find myself averaging around 400-420 Wh/mile in mixed usage, but 25% of driving to and from my area of town involves highways where I'm averaging 75MPH.

7. golfbern

golfbern Member

You must be fun at parties.

• Funny x 9
    • Disagree x 2
  8. golfbern

golfbern Member

It’s flat land so no mountains. Definitely a good idea to check the tire pressure. It was hot so we had it on at around 65 in the car for most of the day. So there should be loss there for sure.

I have never gotten 245 under any conditions. I’m jealous.

78.4 kWH
    478 wh/mi

• Helpful x 1
  9. golfbern

golfbern Member

Are you running the ac? What mode are you in (chill, sport, Luda)?

Man I normally run at 500 wh/mi

10. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

You asked if you were doing something wrong and if your expectations were out of whack. I answered in the affirmative, but I guess that wasn’t the answer you wanted to hear.

• Disagree x 3
    • Love x 2
    • Funny x 1
  11. golfbern

golfbern Member

It got lost in your unnecessarily condescending tone. There is a decent way to communicate with people, then there is the way you did it.

• Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

I'm lost. Where did the 161 number come from? You said you made it home at 11 miles left. You started with 289 (per your correction). At what point did you get 161?

When you were driving, were you using EAP/TACC? I noticed a huge difference in wh/mi when not using my foot, even if I try to maintain the same pace as the car.

• Like x 2
  13. KG M3

KG M3 Member

Is this known as teaching be example???

• Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. Raechris

Raechris Member

400 whr/mi is a lot. I would set to percentage not miles, rated not ideal. Put the power meter in the dash and monitor instant usage. Regen is not as efficient as is using the energy so avoid it by not accel hard then regen hard. My MS75D is consistently in the 230 range at 50 mph and 265 at highway speeds up to 85

• Informative x 1
  15. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

A/C on set at 74 (exterior is black), in Ludicrous. I find myself taking short bursts of speed every once in a while but otherwise I'm light on the "gas."

16. golfbern

golfbern Member

Ah! I could see the confusion, sorry! I traveled 161 miles today on a full charge. I had 11 miles left when i got home.

Started with 289
    Drove 161
    Had 11 miles left on the “tank”

17. Nrazar

Nrazar Member

I’m also confused about the 78 kWh usage when we have 100 kWh packs. I see this too and I always think where the other 22 kWh went. It’s crazy to me

• Like x 1
  18. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

Suggestion: purchase Teslafi and track your driving habits. Best SW out there for Tesla stats.

Btw: if you’re using a “heavy” foot on the P including fast launches, it will eat range miles.

• Like x 3
  19. XeonSX

XeonSX Member

I'm quite curious now... I knew X was less efficient but this level is worrying. At those speeds my S would average 300wh/mile.
    ok, I'm on 19s, and its an S but still 60% less efficient does not sound right. What was the weather like, any winds?

• Love x 1
  20. golfbern

golfbern Member

No wind and 92 degrees with no humidity.