Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100DL max power with 36.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. It seems like it may be traction limited then. I'll have to see how much longer the drag strip near me is open this season and get some more runs in so I can capture the stats. The launch certainly felt a lot harder on the strip (or my helmeted head was just heavier as it hit the headrest lol)

I also have a Dragy in my cart on Amazon, but I'm doing No-Spend-November, so I need to wait until December 1st to buy more toys :)
Traction was great no spinning at all. Dragy is fun and VBox is a little bit more accurate.

Traction was great no spinning at all. Dragy is fun and VBox is a little bit more accurate.

I think the traction/launch control is so good that you'll never get spin, just less power on a millisecond-to-millisecond basis if it detects minute amounts of slip. Even when I launched on cruddy surfaces I never got any perceptible wheel spin. But more data is always good :)

Reactions: UkrHog
I think the traction/launch control is so good that you'll never get spin, just less power on a millisecond-to-millisecond basis if it detects minute amounts of slip. Even when I launched on cruddy surfaces I never got any perceptible wheel spin. But more data is always good :)

Tesla doesn't use feedback traction control on full power launches. They have a pre-programmed torque curve optimized for factory tires which is close to the traction limit. In fact if traction control kicks in, it severely impacts performance. My performance model s occasionally loses traction on max acceleration as indicated by the flashing traction control icon on the instrument cluster.

Tesla doesn't use feedback traction control on full power launches. They have a pre-programmed torque curve optimized for factory tires which is close to the traction limit. In fact if traction control kicks in, it severely impacts performance. My performance model s occasionally loses traction on max acceleration as indicated by the flashing traction control icon on the instrument cluster.

I've gotten that, but never in launch mode.

As an example, at the track, I roll through the burnout box, and then just floor it - it skips a bit, lights flash, torque is cut, etc. 10 seconds later, under launch mode, it launches with just the slightest chirp and no spin or reduction in torque.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I've gotten that, but never in launch mode.

As an example, at the track, I roll through the burnout box, and then just floor it - it skips a bit, lights flash, torque is cut, etc. 10 seconds later, under launch mode, it launches with just the slightest chirp and no spin or reduction in torque.

The track prep is super tacky, and you are unlikely to lose traction there. The torque curves were developed with factory tires on normal asphalt. There is always some slip at max traction, but if the torque pushes the tire past the peak, traction drops quickly and the spin increases quickly. It is at this point that the feedback traction control kicks in and drops the torque precipitously to get ahead of the rapidly decreasing traction.

It would be better to go around the burnout box. If you can't, then ,yeah, try to dry the tread by spinning it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
The track prep is super tacky, and you are unlikely to lose traction there. The torque curves were developed with factory tires on normal asphalt. There is always some slip at max traction, but if the torque pushes the tire past the peak, traction drops quickly and the spin increases quickly. It is at this point that the feedback traction control kicks in and drops the torque precipitously to get ahead of the rapidly decreasing traction.

It would be better to go around the burnout box. If you can't, then, yeah, try to dry the tread by spinning it.

I'll have to do some more testing. Unfortunately, I always disliked this track because the burnout box is on the way to the starting line - no way to avoid it. My other, closer local track closed down years ago but you had to deliberately back into the burnout box, so it was my favorite since I used to race my STi. At least Mason Dixon is right by a supercharger, so I was able to show up with a nearly full SoC.

I'm having a similar issue in my P100DL 2018 with 21 turbine wheels and pilot supersport (25K miles aprox). I also got my rear motor changed under warranty.

I only get around 530-540 peak power (180max in front but just 330max in the rear motor where it seems the cork is). Also 0-60 times with draggy are very disappointing... I'm unable to get under 3s 0-60 no matter what I do! All my runs are 3.0x or 3.1x and according to other dragy users I should be able to get at least some runs in the 2.8x (no rollout).

Ideas? Will take it to service for a review.

• Informative
I'm having a similar issue in my P100DL 2018 with 21 turbine wheels and pilot supersport (25K miles aprox). I also got my rear motor changed under warranty.

I only get around 530-540 peak power (180max in front but just 330max in the rear motor where it seems the cork is). Also 0-60 times with draggy are very disappointing... I'm unable to get under 3s 0-60 no matter what I do! All my runs are 3.0x or 3.1x and according to other dragy users I should be able to get at least some runs in the 2.8x (no rollout).

Ideas? Will take it to service for a review.
I get 157 with the Front Motor and 342 with the rear. Seems lime your Front motor is quite bit stronger than mine! Strange either way our total output.

• Love
Reactions: PV4EV
I get 157 with the Front Motor and 342 with the rear. Seems lime your Front motor is quite bit stronger than mine! Strange either way our total output.

Yeah i was getting very high front like 180 in each launch and rear seemed capped at 325. I disabled range mode and I managed to get 330 in rear but impossible to get more... In ludicrous standard mode I run 3.2x 0-60 which should be 3.xx. Quite frustrating after seeing our other M3 Long Range getting under 4s with the new free update, it feels faster than the p100d at high speeds.

Traction limited? Sorry.. But try a P85D / P90D . It's kicking P100DieseL in the start..
Cars that have some miles with "hard" usages, get power reduction faster than a newer car.
I made another thread about it. But people is blind in this forum..
Tesla have reduced the power before.. And this time, they manage to do it without problems..
Peak power is the same, but throttle response and ability to keep the power is gone... ( Lots of people with the same thing in Norway and some in Germany.)

I am disappointed that the latest update to my 2019 P100DL Raven only gave more power to the front motor and reduced the rear. I did not get a 3% power increase much less than the 50 HP promised by Elon. This is based on my latest two trips to a 1/8 mile dragstrip. After the update, my et decreased by only 0.01 to 6.724 and speed increased only .5 mph to 102.85. My best run was using slip mode and at 89% charge. My two runs prior at 96% and at 94% using launch mode were slightly slower with a small amount of bog.

• Informative
Will have to do some testing also. My car does feel slower. 2017 P100DL. Sounds like the 0-60 is now slower. I wouldnt be suprised as I have already had a rear motor replaced under warranty. It doesnt leave as hard as it used too. But no scientific evidence other than but dyno. All have to do some runs and see where it's at now.

I am disappointed that the latest update to my 2019 P100DL Raven only gave more power to the front motor and reduced the rear. I did not get a 3% power increase much less than the 50 HP promised by Elon. This is based on my latest two trips to a 1/8 mile dragstrip. After the update, my et decreased by only 0.01 to 6.724 and speed increased only .5 mph to 102.85. My best run was using slip mode and at 89% charge. My two runs prior at 96% and at 94% using launch mode were slightly slower with a small amount of bog.

Again, the battery pack and wiring is not any more capable than before. The front motor can now take in and put out more power, but the total battery power available is unchanged in my opinion. This bump to the front PM motor just allows more power to be sent to it, if the rear is otherwise traction limited and the battery pack has some to spare and nowhere to send it. It's probably a 50hp bump in the front motor output, but not the car's total max output.

Reactions: NSX1992
The P100D Get way slower over time.
Great that american people are beginning to noticing this.
On our "on ramp", my P100DL has the same topspeed as our P85D, m3P and X100D.
The funny thing is that it's the same speed with my P100DL, "cold" battery, warm, 100% soc. 30% soc.. Only me in the car. And even with 3 BIG people in it.
I made a thread a while ago. But I got tired of all stupid people who take tesla in defense...

553kW
2016 with 70K miles
84% SOC
I was under the assumption that the pre-raven cars weren't getting any additional power? Is this incorrect?

Attachments

• Kw.jpg
    Kw.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 78
The P100D Get way slower over time.
Great that american people are beginning to noticing this.
On our "on ramp", my P100DL has the same topspeed as our P85D, m3P and X100D.
The funny thing is that it's the same speed with my P100DL, "cold" battery, warm, 100% soc. 30% soc.. Only me in the car. And even with 3 BIG people in it.
I made a thread a while ago. But I got tired of all stupid people who take tesla in defense...

Bro, you keep keep saying the same thing to everyone who will listen, and I want to believe you but until to post up 0-60 times or 60ft times, of a P85D beating a P100D, I cant get onboard. But, I do have a solution. Tell Santa you'd like a draggy for Christmas this year. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/dragy-10Hz-Based-Performance-Meter/dp/B077KKPMTB.

Line them up, same SOC, same draggy, same day. 0-10? 0-20? 0-30? 0-40 0-50? Where exactly is it faster?

I've already done this test and know exactly what happens (N=1), but I'm afraid me telling you the outcome is just going to make me seem "blind" to you. I'd much rather you come up with your own conclusion based on facts you've gathered so we can stay friends.

Note: my VBOX was slightly less accurate than Draggy so long as SAC Raceways timing system is actually correct. Plus I like how Draggy allows me to interact with other Tesla owners who are into performance.

Dragtimes also did a video where they compare how slow a "used" P100D is..
I don't need a device telling me a P100D is slower. It's obvious for people who owns this cars.
Just try a Model 3 performance in reverse.
If you can't feel how much faster the throttle response is.. See a doctor.
(And why has tesla made track mode less responsive?. Sport is better.. )

In that video a P100DL with 100K miles was still able to do 0 to 60 in 2.5 secs. The P90DL with a version 3 battery was only able to do it in 2.6 secs when brand new. This high mileage car was still able to do the 1/4 mile in 11 secs flat. That's as good or better than the P90DL up to version 2 batteries. Brooks' P90DL with 50K miles was still able to do the 1/4 mile in 10 secs.

As the batteries age the internal resistance increases which causes the voltage to sag more at max current draw. That's why the max power is less.

• Informative
Reactions: voltage
I don't need a device telling me a P100D is slower. It's obvious for people who owns this cars.
Just try a Model 3 performance in reverse.
If you can't feel how much faster the throttle response is.. See a doctor.
(And why has tesla made track mode less responsive?. Sport is better.. )

Then line the cars up and make a video of the race. At this point you having no proof other than your "feelings."
Im not into arguing with people about their feelings, so I guess you're just gonna have to suffer with your poor slow P100D.

giphy.gif