TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P3 Autocross

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by papadonutman, Sep 30, 2018.

1. papadonutman

papadonutman Member

Here is a video from an Autocross event I attended. Car performed very well even with the stability on. OEM tires, no mods.

• Like x 8
  2. Vines

Vines Active Member

Nice driving! I am curious how you placed in your class with that display?

3. papadonutman

papadonutman Member

Pax Time Results

Finished eighth in PAX, first in class.

"with that display" not sure what that means?

• Like x 3
  4. Shizzrock

Shizzrock Member

Wow, awesome driving!

5. Shizzrock

Shizzrock Member

I think he meant "with that display of phenomenal driving"

6. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

Miata FTW!
    All seasons? It certainly sounds like all season tires. Haha. I bet everyone who beat you was running summer tires. Looks good.

7. alsetym

alsetym Member

Everyone knows miata's are cheating for autox. Aside from that, wow, this thing is a slalom machine! And on all seasons no less! Throw on some proper tires and elons special track mode sauce (whenever it comes out) and they'll have to make a new class for these things...also, Elon...give me the the track mode sauce for my LR so I can ditch my ice track car!

8. Vines

Vines Active Member

Shizzrock had it right, with that display of great driving. Congrats on 1st in class. Very impressive agility considering this is a 4000 lb sedan.

9. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

Damn you were hauling ass, loved it. Is there anything you are planning to do to make faster time in a future run?

10. papadonutman

papadonutman Member

It is a P3+ so I was running on the Cup tires, that being said, the people in front of me were running on 200 tread wear proper autocross tires. There were some good drivers and very well prepared cars at this event. The video was one of my earlier slower runs, kept forgetting to turn on camera. I was amazed how much the stability control let me move the car around. The one complaint I had was when you rotate the wheel past a certain point it is like an off switch for power. This really hurt my times in the two slow sweeper corners, I could not get the car to rotate. I tried going in slow, tried tossing it into the corner, it just doesn't like high input angles.
    I have only had the car for 4 days so have made no changes. I plan on putting as much camber in the front as I can get, some 19" wheels with wider proper autocross tires. Give me track mode and this thing is going to be a beast.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. Daniel in SD

Pilot sport cup or the stock pilot super sport 4s?
    There is no camber adjustment front or rear on the Model 3. How much outside edge wear did you get?

12. papadonutman

papadonutman Member

Sorry, 4s. I have been told you can get some camber, still looking into it. I ran the pressures at 45 to try and lessen the roll and avoid to much abuse to the edges. All and all not bad edge wear considering. I will try and get a picture up.

• Informative x 2
  13. papadonutman

papadonutman Member

IMG_20181001_103621.jpg IMG_20181001_103606.jpg

• Like x 1
  14. Daniel in SD

Mountain Pass Performance makes adjustable camber links for the rear but there's nothing for the front. That wear on the sidewall doesn't look great! Hopefully someone will come up with some sort of solution. You can dismount and swap the tires to get a bit more life out of them once the outside edge wears off.

15. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

A squeeling tire is a happy tire. Good driving.

Glad to see some Tesla representing on the autocross. Usually dominated by Miata and Mini.

16. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

Looks like you didn't have slip start enabled?

17. papadonutman

papadonutman Member

More autocross in P3+

• Like x 1
  18. papadonutman

papadonutman Member

If anyone here is planning to autocross under the SCCA stock class rules next year please reach out to me. I would like to compare set up notes and try to make this car as competitive as possible.

• Like x 1