Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3 Brake Job

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, and to be on topic, I threw these on earlier today (f/r):
20190822_171245.jpg

Screenshot_20190822-215332_Photos.jpg

Stock suspension?
Will you have access to air?

I'd say max of 34-36 hot. If that's rolling too much then bump to 38 hot. Anything higher and they'll probably get pretty greasy.

Yes and yes. Thanks for the input. I'll take a grease pen with me so I can mark the tires before each session.

42 hot, 42 cold is crazy.

But RE71R can handle higher temps than RS4. 42 hot in a racing situation for RS4 is probably too much

Just try things out and play with it!

Thanks!

***PSA***

You can retract or extend the EPB piston by hooking up 12v power source to the contacts inside of the plug of the EPB motor. On the Performance red caliper the plug is square on one side. To retract the inner piston, connect (-) ground to the contact close to the square side while connect (+) to the contact at the round end of the plug. To extend the inner piston, switch the polarity. There is no auto stop on the motor, so pay attention to the sound of the motor when it is at end of its travel on retraction. Break the circuit when you hear the sound change.

***PSA***

You can retract or extend the EPB piston by hooking up 12v power source to the contacts inside of the plug of the EPB motor. On the Performance red caliper the plug is square on one side. To retract the inner piston, connect (-) ground to the contact close to the square side while connect (+) to the contact at the round end of the plug. To extend the inner piston, switch the polarity. There is no auto stop on the motor, so pay attention to the sound of the motor when it is at end of its travel on retraction. Break the circuit when you hear the sound change.
It's a lot easier to juch chock the wheels, put the car in tow mode (controls, service, tow mode), unplug the caliper, do what you need to do, plug it back in and disengage tow mode. Car does all the work for you.

Reactions: Msjulie
Do you like? How do Endless compare to what you tried so far? What pads have you tried?

Pros:

They are magical. No fade on them compared to stock. Have not tried other pads, because I spend a lot of time chatting with @mcbarnet007, and up until these pads, his feedback had been mixed with other pads (3 or 4 different manufacturers). Knowing how frequently he's on track, and how hard he pushes the car, if he was praising the pads, I felt it was worth a shot. They are also pretty quiet on the street, with only a squeak here and there.

Cons:
  1. The rear pads rattle like all heck unless you add the stock shim. This is quite annoying, and even embarrassing during daily driving. I've had time to replace one shim, and it helped quiet that side. I will do the other side this weekend. It takes a bit of elbow grease to remove the shim from the stock pad, and you'll need to hammer the shim flat.
  2. Biggest issue - the are far too close to the Mountain Pass Performance Rotor hats. Without the shim, they rattle, so they can make contact with the rotor hat. Once the pad material wears, it's even more likely to contact the rotor hat. I gave feedback to the supplier, and they seemingly don't care. The only response I got was that they designed them to work with the stock rotor, so MPP's rotor must be different in size...
  3. Real dusty. Though I'm sure MPP's slotted rotors contribute to pad wear, and thus an increase in pad dust.
Overall, I like the quality of the pad properties.But I am hesitant to recommend them if you are not on stock rotors.

You can see the closeness here:
20191027_165011.jpg

And it actually made contact at some point:
received_389236861954211.jpg

Paint missing from the rattle, rattle:
20191012_120341.jpg

***PSA***

Awesome. I was going to do this when adding a shim to the Endless pad, but I was also short on time, and didn't want to mess something up. I still need to shim the other side, so I will definitely do this.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyNavy01
It's a lot easier to juch chock the wheels, put the car in tow mode (controls, service, tow mode), unplug the caliper, do what you need to do, plug it back in and disengage tow mode. Car does all the work for you.

My experience is that the parking brake piston doesn't fully retract...it just retracts enough to release the rotor. If swapping in thicker brake pads, this isn't enough to allow the new pads to clear the rotor when reinstalling.

The Endless rear pads backing plate is exactly the same size as OEM pads backing plate. However, it doesn't have the shim and clip. With the shim, it will keep the pads in place and shouldn't touch the rotor hat hardware. Taking the OEM shim off does take some work but it's a one time thing since you can keep reusing it. My OEM shim is already on my 3rd set of rear pads and still going strong.

Endless pads do get dusty but the wear on the street is great. There is minimal wear from daily driving and very little noise.

Another thing I noticed is how much better the brake pedal modulation is compare to other pads. Once you get a little heat in them, it bites right away and the pedal feel is consistent time after time giving you the confidence needed to push the brake zone.

Reactions: SD_Engnr

That works if you only want to release the EPB. If you need to replace the pad with a thicker pad, the EPB needs to be retracted beyond the amount of retraction programmed for tow mode/EPB release.

It looks like many others already chimed in with the same response. ;)