Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D — First Trip Up Angeles Crest Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ForeverFree

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2015
Sherman Oaks, CA
Doesn’t ge any better than this.

Acceleration is absurd ... even uphill. What seemed like three seconds of right foot left my wife woozy ... and the speedo at 70. Immediate response inspires enormous confidence when circumstances require a quick pass. A+ ... and a total blast.

Regular RWD Model 3 takes mountain curves as if on rails. AWD only helps. No chirping or skittering under full acceleration.

Beyond that, though, I don’t believe the P (without Performance Upgrade) delivers any particular advantages. Max performance drivers will want 20” wheels, upgraded summer tires, beefier brakes, lowered, track-friendly suspension, etc.

However, for the average amateur canyon carver, the base wheel/tire/suspension set-up offers a near-ideal compromise among conflicting comfort, handling, clearance, and tire wear/durability goals.

One surprise, inspired by questions from TMCers: I tried Chill Mode, which I’ve heretofore avoided like the plague. Turns out that it makes it even easier to deliver a smooth cruise, while still affording plenty of whoosh potential when needed. Put on a Sinatra tune and enjoyed it. A useful tool.

Of course, then promptly dialed up a catchier beat ... and Sport Mode!

If this isn’t the perfect car, it’s sure close. Definitely the most fun car I’ve ever driven!

43711AE5-DC82-4C45-828F-8703B24DC27F.jpeg

Oh, and a P.S. The second generation of Model 3 seats is a noticeable improvement. More cushioned. Better cocooning for corners. Better fit for shorter drivers. And, more comfortable, to boot!

Last edited:
Very cool, congrats. Regarding your comments on the perf upgrade package, is this spoken from experience with a vehicle with those upgrades, or are you just guessing based on your experience with a non-upgrade P model? Because they are very much at odds with what others are saying about their test drives of a fully upgraded P.

Very cool, congrats. Regarding your comments on the perf upgrade package, is this spoken from experience with a vehicle with those upgrades, or are you just guessing based on your experience with a non-upgrade P model? Because they are very much at odds with what others are saying about their test drives of a fully upgraded P.

I was able to throughly test drive the full Monty the day before I took deliver.

That said, I'm neither a track-tested driver nor a pro reviewer. I'm merely citing a gut sense that grippier tires, beefier suspension, and lowered geometry would allow a skilled driver to extract more from this car at the limit.

Me ... I have no interest in testing that limit. I've seen too many accidents on the Crest and elsewhere.

Fantastic review! Confirmed my decision to pay for the P3D over the AWD. I'm also not planning on getting the $5K Performance Upgrade Packet (man I wish they renamed that, very confusing).

Those aero wheels sans covers look great too!

You're right, but it's so small 1.2 cm you would never notice anyway. Better off Getting the non 5k upgrade and just get better springs / lighter wheels / aftermarket spoiler ect.. only thing you can't do aftermarket is the 10mph.

Thanks to the OP for posting as I'm vacillating on this very topic.

What was the ride quality between the Non-Performance upgrade and the Performance upgrade?

Interested in how much rougher the ride is with the 20" wheels.

I was able to throughly test drive the full Monty the day before I took deliver.

That said, I'm neither a track-tested driver nor a pro reviewer. I'm merely citing a gut sense that grippier tires, beefier suspension, and lowered geometry would allow a skilled driver to extract more from this car at the limit.

Me ... I have no interest in testing that limit. I've seen too many accidents on the Crest and elsewhere.
Thanks for the info. Quick question Were you able to sense a significant difference between the full monty and the performance without upgrade in terms of road noise and ride comfort? We do some long family trips on the weekends but I like the aesthetics of the upgrade package.
Thanks!